Help needed with redfoot vivarium - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 27-07-2020, 02:22 PM
Egg
Default Help needed with redfoot vivarium

Hi,

Really hope someone can help me. I've recently been given two adult redfoot tortoises. They have separate vivariums. One Viv is newer and a fair bit higher than the other.

One redfoot (the female) seems to bask a lot during the day and is fairly inactive and I've read this shouldn't be the case. Perhaps it's too cold for her? She often tries to get out bashing into the glass panels at the front.

The Viv came with an Arcadia D3 100 watt Mercury vapour bulb and also a night time ceramic heat emitter (no thermostat).

The temperature at substrate level under the basking bulb (hot side) gets to 27⁰C (82⁰F). Cold side is at 25⁰C (77⁰F).

Should I get a thermostat and turn on the heat emitter during the day increasing the overall temperature in the vivarium?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Premier Member

I dont know a lot about redfoots, but they are a tropical species so need a high level of humidity. Not sure they reallly need high temps as in the wild they would be on the forest floor so not receiving high temps.
But the humidity is really important.
Old 27-07-2020, 02:51 PM
Egg

Hey! Thanks for your reply.
I'm in the process of getting a hydrometer to acurately measure humidity, but I think it's fairly high already as there is a fair bit of condensation on the glass.

Substrate used is coco fibre mixed with orchid bark, so should hold the humidity well. Also, I spray them directly a couple of times a day plus give them a 15 minute soak in warm water every other day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-07-2020, 03:27 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfootz View Post
I'm in the process of getting a hydrometer to acurately measure humidity, but I think it's fairly high already as there is a fair bit of condensation on the glass.

Substrate used is coco fibre mixed with orchid bark, so should hold the humidity well. Also, I spray them directly a couple of times a day plus give them a 15 minute soak in warm water every other day.

They still need temps of 30c, even the forest floor is warm in their native climate if you have condensation then your humidity is high, but you need a very large vivarium for a redfoot, so it can move in and out of different areas. If you can adapt a summer house or insulated shed for them it would be much better. Small vivs can be very stressful as you are seeing, as the tortoise cannot move to different temps. You need a lot of ground level plants too to increase humidity. What are you feeding?

Breeding group of Testudo hermanni boettgeri
www.tortsmad.com
Old 27-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Premier Member

Quote:

Getting them into a bigger enclosure will be better for their health:0)
As with most tortoises if they can see out, thats where they want to be:0) And stress can bring on health issues.
Old 27-07-2020, 04:10 PM
Egg

Yeah I thought it might be a little cold. So if I combine the MVB and heat emitter it should elevate the temperature. I'll need to get a thermostat to regulate the CHE so it doesn't become too hot.

Unfortunately I currently live in rented accommodation and don't have the luxury of much space. One vivarium is 6ft length X 3ft width X 2.5ft height.

The other vivarium is smaller. 5.8ft length X 3ft width and 1.6ft height. This is housing a male cherry head, a fair bit smaller than the female red foot.

Diet is two days of food then one day off. They get leafy greens and vegetables (added calcium) on one day and fruit the next. Once every two weeks I give them some protein (usually plain chicken or a hard boiled egg)

I have no plants in there yet. Unsure whether to get some real ones (Boston fern/Pothos) or some fake ones.
Old 27-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Yeah I thought it might be a little cold. So if I combine the MVB and heat emitter it should elevate the temperature. I'll need to get a thermostat to regulate the CHE so it doesn't become too hot.

Unfortunately I currently live in rented accommodation and don't have the luxury of much space. One vivarium is 6ft length X 3ft width X 2.5ft height.

The other vivarium is smaller. 5.8ft length X 3ft width and 1.6ft height. This is housing a male cherry head, a fair bit smaller than the female red foot.

Diet is two days of food then one day off. They get leafy greens and vegetables (added calcium) on one day and fruit the next. Once every two weeks I give them some protein (usually plain chicken or a hard boiled egg)

I have no plants in there yet. Unsure whether to get some real ones (Boston fern/Pothos) or some fake ones.
Those sizes arent too bad then, but as mentioned best to stop them being able to see out. The diet is fine. If you can get tough real plants they will be better as will help with the environment

Breeding group of Testudo hermanni boettgeri
www.tortsmad.com