Musk turtle relocation to outdoor pond?! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 26-08-2020, 06:40 PM
Egg
Default Musk turtle relocation to outdoor pond?!

Hello,
We have a rescued/rehomed Musk turtle in our indoor tank. We’d love to move her outdoors as we have a nice pond and know the natural sunshine would be good for her.
Has anyone done this? We live in the southwest of England. Will the temperature be an issue? Our pond is deep (3 foot in the middle! And 1 foot deep around the edge) so in the winter she should be able to hibernate underneath the filter in the bottom. Any advice welcomed, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2020, 08:19 PM
Banned

Musks do very well outdoors, however should not be introduced until spring. Do you have a picture of your pond? Is it fully secure?
SueBoyle and elishacoombes9 like this.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTurtle1 View Post
Musks do very well outdoors
Really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-09-2020, 12:52 PM
Ultra Citizen

Hi there. Southwest here also!
Our musks will be put into our pond next year, they’re a year old now, I would wait til next year when weather is hot again not now when it’s nearing winter.
Our pond is 8 x 7 x 4 1/2.
They do great outside and actually when really hot have had a little go in there with the koi already. Just make sure they can get out and can’t escape! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14-09-2020, 12:56 PM

Musks in outdoor ponds are rarely seen. Our youngsters bask avidly indoors, but once outside never come up onto their docks. A couple of the adult females will very infrequently bask outdoors, the other females never outdoors. The adult male, again frequently indoors, but never outdoors.

All are housed appropriately in easily accessible conditions for them.
Old 14-09-2020, 01:01 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsfeathers&fur View Post
Musks in outdoor ponds are rarely seen. Our youngsters bask avidly indoors, but once outside never come up onto their docks. A couple of the adult females will very infrequently bask outdoors, the other females never outdoors. The adult male, again frequently indoors, but never outdoors.

All are housed appropriately in easily accessible conditions for them.

See none of mine will bask indoors at all! None come up, have only ever come up a couple times since owning them in the first couple weeks, now been over a year. Whereas seemed more interested when out in the pond! And was lovely to see when we put outside for a trial them diving about! Looking forward to them all being out in next year as they’ve got a lot of room, and thankfully don’t care about the koi, but I suppose being raised with fish has helped that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14-09-2020, 01:08 PM

Indoors - what is the temperature under the basking light and the temperature of the water? Is their tank in a quiet location or do you have to open a door to enter the room they are in?

Edit: Plus of course how do they get uv if the never bask?

Last edited by Shellsfeathers&fur; 15-09-2020 at 08:10 AM..
Old 15-09-2020, 08:49 AM
Hatchling

When I first got my Emys I was convinced that they never basked. I wondered and eventually worried why not. However eventually I'd see signs that they had been up and out and they got used to basking with me in the room.

They went out to a greenhouse pond a few years ago and bask avidly. Of course they need the uv (certain panes of glass strategically removed) and I pay good attention to vitamin rich diet.

Their pond isn't hugely deep. 2 ft deepest. They seem to enjoy moving about in the weedy shallows or resting with heads out of water on some platforms.

I've read that musks don't bask ... but surely they must need to .... I'd recommend providing some shallows with trays or bog wood lifted off the bottom in order they can easily reach the surface. Particularly important they can ease themselves up after the winter to re-energize.
Definitely put out in spring .. not this time of year ...so they can acclimatise fully.
Just my experience with Emys Orbicularis...

All the best