Hermanns Hatchling set up - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 28-09-2020, 11:59 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2020 View Post
I think ill do that, have the first winter and then start from the following.

Ill do some more reading as well, its hard work lol considering on other forums the advice seems to be enclosed housing is a must for hatchlings but here all i have read is open top for ventilation.

I understand the best practice is a soak every day while young and always provide a shallow dish of water. Also to keep the substrate damp which with soil should make this easier.

But do i do this in a open table or a closed unit?

Also trying to see whether duel UVB/Heat lamps are recommended or keep it separate.
Always an open topped enclosure, where there is always good ventilation:0)
As for lighting and heating, I have used both, combined and separate, its just a matter of choice and whats suits you and your setup:0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepixie View Post
Always an open topped enclosure, where there is always good ventilation:0)
As for lighting and heating, I have used both, combined and separate, its just a matter of choice and whats suits you and your setup:0)

Recent tests on various combined lamps have shown unusually high uv levels when the lamps are positioned at the correct height for best temperature levels. Many long term keepers, especially naturalistic ones, have stopped using these lamps for this reason. Personally I only use separates now, with far greater control, better shell growth and overall health.
elishacoombes9 likes this.

Long term group of Testudo hermanni boettgeri
www.tortsmad.com
Old 28-09-2020, 01:08 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBoyle View Post
Recent tests on various combined lamps have shown unusually high uv levels when the lamps are positioned at the correct height for best temperature levels. Many long term keepers, especially naturalistic ones, have stopped using these lamps for this reason. Personally I only use separates now, with far greater control, better shell growth and overall health.
Each to their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-2020, 06:53 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepixie View Post
Each to their own.

I prefer the best option for the tortoises, not the owners We have come so far in the past 30 years and would do well to not live in the past
Shellsfeathers&fur likes this.

Long term group of Testudo hermanni boettgeri
www.tortsmad.com
Old 28-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBoyle View Post
I prefer the best option for the tortoises, not the owners We have come so far in the past 30 years and would do well to not live in the past
Each to their own:0)
Old 28-09-2020, 11:23 PM
Ultra Citizen

Not hibernating can and does cause problems for the tortoise. We have one here with some issues as she never hibernated and was left indoors with nothing but cat food also, she’s got MBD, even respiratory problems, and wonky legs so she walks funny, now she’s actually got what she needs she’s already started digging about and burrowing. We built an enclosure outside for her and she’s been so happy ever since, such a lovely girl. And We love Norma regardless of her issues

Our Sulcata baby Jimin has separate uv and heat which I also think is best. ‘He’ has a tortoise table we built in our shed for him as he’s too small to be outside this year, and probably next year too. Considering these get big he’s blooming tiny now

Good luck when you get yours though! Such lovely animals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
purplepixie and SueBoyle like this.