Slovenian Tortoise Farm Pics - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 19-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Premier Citizen
Default Slovenian Tortoise Farm Pics

Here are a few pictures taken from the tortoise farm in Slovenia recently. The farm has been in existence for a very long time, and its breeding stock of many thousands of tortoises are all registered with the relevant CITES authority. The farm has been inspected many times by various authorities, including governmental and non-governmental bodies.

This is just of the many breeding groups, the adult breeding stock are kept outside all year round and hibernate naturally.

A breeding female digging a nest, workers watch the females and mark the nest with a stick. After the female deposits the eggs, the eggs are removed and incubated.

Eggs being removed for incubation

One of the many banks of incubators were the eggs are incubated

A close up of eggs in the incubator

Just a few of the many thousands of baby tortoises hatched every year at the farm

I hope the above pictures are of some interest to people and go to some way in proving beyond all reasonable doubt that the tortoise farm exists, and indeed breeds tortoises. I will reiterate the point that all allegations made against this farm in respect of the legality of its activities have been rejected by all relevant government and non-governmental bodies. The UK CITES management authority, along with all other EU CITES management authorities recognise the legality of tortoise breed at this farm and issue all relevant CITES documentation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via AIM to Reptilerescueden Send a message via MSN to Reptilerescueden

When applying for an Article 10 you don't actually have to prove where the tort has come from to breed from it , just make sure it's chipped and then the A 10 in place here in the UK. Is it the same over there?
Old 19-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Newman View Post
Here are a few pictures taken from the tortoise farm in Slovenia recently. The farm has been in existence for a very long time, and its breeding stock of many thousands of tortoises are all registered with the relevant CITES authority. The farm has been inspected many times by various authorities, including governmental and non-governmental bodies.

This is just of the many breeding groups, the adult breeding stock are kept outside all year round and hibernate naturally.

A breeding female digging a nest, workers watch the females and mark the nest with a stick. After the female deposits the eggs, the eggs are removed and incubated.

Eggs being removed for incubation

One of the many banks of incubators were the eggs are incubated

A close up of eggs in the incubator

Just a few of the many thousands of baby tortoises hatched every year at the farm

I hope the above pictures are of some interest to people and go to some way in proving beyond all reasonable doubt that the tortoise farm exists, and indeed breeds tortoises. I will reiterate the point that all allegations made against this farm in respect of the legality of its activities have been rejected by all relevant government and non-governmental bodies. The UK CITES management authority, along with all other EU CITES management authorities recognise the legality of tortoise breed at this farm and issue all relevant CITES documentation.
Great post this one Chris...After years of asking for Slovenian farm photos on this forum, someone finally comes up with the goods...Its a shame that the high profile, pro-import tort dealers/traders (who frequent this forum) couldnt post pics like this in the past, when asked???...

A couple of questions please Chris- Has this farm got a name/address etc?...We're these photos easy enough to come by?...

I 'll come back to this thread a little later, time is not on my side at the moment...cheers...T.T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-11-2008, 06:05 PM
RFUK Premium Membership
Send a message via MSN to Tina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrific tortoise View Post
Great post this one Chris...After years of asking for Slovenian farm photos on this forum, someone finally comes up with the goods...Its a shame that the high profile, pro-import tort dealers/traders (who frequent this forum) couldnt post pics like this in the past, when asked???...

A couple of questions please Chris- Has this farm got a name/address etc?...We're these photos easy enough to come by?...

I 'll come back to this thread a little later, time is not on my side at the moment...cheers...T.T.

I posted some pictures way back at the beginning of the year of a Slovenian farm Paul... it could even be the same one as it looks very similar. Unfortunately I can't find the link now nor the original thread.

It also showed pictures of how the hatchlings are kept... in inside pens... with details of their diet. I'll try and trawl later but don't promise I'll find it again.

What I asked for at that time was pictures of how they're imported NOW... which nobody has ever posted. I just wish someone would so the myth of them being imported in poor conditions could be dispelled once and for all.

Last edited by Tina; 19-11-2008 at 08:24 PM..
Old 19-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Premier Member

Just had a closer look at the farm photos...

In the 1st paddock, I can roughly see approx. 40 adult torts, lets say that there are another 10, making it 50 torts per paddock...In the back of the paddock, theres a gate to the left, it appears to lead to another paddock of much the same number of shelters...So lets say there are another 50 adult females in this paddock too...We are up to 100 females?...If you look to both sides of the tortoise area, it appears to not contain any more torts?

Now for the incubators/eggs/trays etc....

There appears to be 3 long trays of eggs in each level inside the incubator, each tray looks like it has approx. 40 eggs...therefore each level could contain 120 eggs...Without including the 5 partial levels of eggs, it appears to have 45 full levels of eggs...This is without taking into account the incubator/cabinet, to the far left of the pic, or for that matter any other cabinets that may be full of eggs?...

My maths could come under scrutiny here, but there could be approx. 5400+ tort eggs in view...divide this by 100 adult torts...Thats 54 eggs laid for each tort???...

Of course all this is pure guess work, going by just what I think I can see???

I wish I could make out what the newspaper reads, attached to one of the incubators too ...T.T.
Old 19-11-2008, 06:22 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrific tortoise View Post
Just had a closer look at the farm photos...

In the 1st paddock, I can roughly see approx. 40 adult torts, lets say that there are another 10, making it 50 torts per paddock...In the back of the paddock, theres a gate to the left, it appears to lead to another paddock of much the same number of shelters...So lets say there are another 50 adult females in this paddock too...We are up to 100 females?...If you look to both sides of the tortoise area, it appears to not contain any more torts?

Now for the incubators/eggs/trays etc....

There appears to be 3 long trays of eggs in each level inside the incubator, each tray looks like it has approx. 40 eggs...therefore each level could contain 120 eggs...Without including the 5 partial levels of eggs, it appears to have 45 full levels of eggs...This is without taking into account the incubator/cabinet, to the far left of the pic, or for that matter any other cabinets that may be full of eggs?...

My maths could come under scrutiny here, but there could be approx. 5400+ tort eggs in view...divide this by 100 adult torts...Thats 54 eggs laid for each tort???...

Of course all this is pure guess work, going by just what I think I can see???

I wish I could make out what the newspaper reads, attached to one of the incubators too ...T.T.
They must have other 'paddocks' with more adults.

That being said they are interesting pictures. I was expecting a tortoise farm to look more 'half arsed' but they seem to be pretty organised. I assumed they would'nt incubate & would let nature takes it's course.
Old 19-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via AIM to Reptilerescueden Send a message via MSN to Reptilerescueden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post

What I asked for at that time was pictures of how they're imported NOW... which nobody has ever posted. I just wish someone would so the myth of them being imported in poor conditions could be dispelled once and for all.
Yeah think we all would be very inerested in this Tina.
Old 19-11-2008, 07:24 PM
No Life Member
Reviews: 3
Send a message via AIM to fantapants Send a message via MSN to fantapants Send a message via Yahoo to fantapants Send a message via Skype™ to fantapants

i think i remember the post tina, and i deffinatley remember people asking for details of transportation. i think somebody said that they are packed into crates but each one has his own space as its seperated with dividers. and i dont remember any packing pics being posted.
Old 19-11-2008, 07:46 PM
5 Star Member

We can ask v-max - he'll know about importation conditions (unless he scared stiff about Annes 'December' sales ban)
Old 19-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm View Post
We can ask v-max - he'll know about importation conditions (unless he scared stiff about Annes 'December' sales ban)