please help me decide which tortoise to get... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 03-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Default please help me decide which tortoise to get...

I have been researching tortoises for a while now, but i still cant seem to decide which type to get. Has anyone got any thoughts that could help make my decision any easier? it would be much appreciated!x.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

Hello!

Welcome to the shelled section!

Do you want a tort that can live outside for a lot of the year, minimum indoor equiment, and one that hibernates? Then you want a meditteranean species. Which one depends on the space you have available. Everyone has their favourites (usually the sort they keep themselves!). Hermans and horsfields are probably the most common. Main difference is that Horsfields like to dig.

If you want a large tort that lives inside all year then you are looking at tropicals like redfoots that need it warmer and more humid than meditteranean species (and do not hibernate).

A start on the thought process!

redfoots available! (hatched 2010)
Old 03-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Premier Citizen

first of all where are you going to keep it?, do you want one that hibernates?red foots dont hibernate and they are a good beginners tortoise,but will need heat 24/7 throughout the year.hermanns and spur thighed tortoise hibernate, but can be kept outdoors when the weather good,and must be kept on a tortoise table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 PM

thanks guys! i think im more swayed towards the horsfield at the minute but my boyfriend wants one that doesnt hibernate....a bit of conflict of opinion on that one!! so the red foot is one to consider, but can they not do outside at all?

Im looking at tortoise tables at the minute and sorting out an outdoor space before i actually get one. Do you know any good places or websites that sell them?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 PM

Also....do you know which species like company because im not to sure whether to get one or a pair? thank you!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Posting Deity

Ummmm you need to decide on lots of things:

How many do you want to get - if you want more than one and they need to be seperated in a few years have you got the space and money for two? They do not get lonely on their so dont feel obliged to buy more than one unless you realistically can afford it and have the space for two.

Do you want to hibernate it/them?

Have you room for one or two outdoor enclosures?

Can you afford to have additional costs - heating/lighting all year round.

Have a good read of the caresheets on here and also on the Tortoise Trust website and then make a list of questions to come back and ask us

I dont mean to be rude but if the tortoise is oging to be yours get what YOU want and not what your boyfriend wants cos shoud you split up the tortoise will be staying with you.

Good luck with your search

PS - I've got a Horsfield and he's fab - rather grumpy looking and he likes to frown but he's mine and I dearly love him. They do love to dig and tunel so be prepared to chicked wire his outdoor enclosure and give him loads and loads 3 or 4 ft of soil to dig about in plus as deep a substate as possible indoors

Let us know what you decide on
Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyjane View Post
thanks guys! i think im more swayed towards the horsfield at the minute but my boyfriend wants one that doesnt hibernate....a bit of conflict of opinion on that one!! so the red foot is one to consider, but can they not do outside at all?

Im looking at tortoise tables at the minute and sorting out an outdoor space before i actually get one. Do you know any good places or websites that sell them?

Yes, redfoots can go outside on hot sunny days. How long depends on their size as well as the weather as small ones lose their heat much more rapidly. A greenhouse or coldframe is an option (for all types of torts actually) if you want to extend the time outside. You can leave a meditteranean out in the garden overnight but a redfoot would have to be moved to a heated area.

redfoots available! (hatched 2010)
Old 04-06-2009, 03:38 AM
Forum Citizen

Any particular reason for not wanting to hibernate?

It isn't difficult, not like in the old days when they all used to die in hibernation.
1.2 Cats