Dogs & Tortoises! Please do read! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 16-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Posting Deity
Default Dogs & Tortoises! Please do read!

As we've had a whole load of new tortoise owners join in the last few weeks I thought it may be a good idea to put something up with regards to dogs and tortoises.

My apologise if this brings back any awful and heartbreaking memories to some of you but I do think the issue needs to be re-iterated every now and then so hopefully noboby else goes through what some have been through in the past.

I've posted this today but thought I'd do it seperately so that more people see it.

Please please please think very serioudly about putting some sort of 'wire' top on your enclosures - a dog WILL, given half a chance, maim or kill your tortoise. I'm sorry it sounds so dramatic but over the last few months we've had, unfortunately, 3 tortoise deaths and 2 nasty accidents with dogs and tortoises.

The dogs natural instinct is to toss the tortoise around and play with it - while he's doing this he will be puncturing the tortoises internal organs which in turn will kill him.

So even if the dogs never out on its own, the dog doesnt show any interest, the dog doesnt like the tortoise, the dog is really obediant or the dog wouldn't ever do something like this YES he will.

I'm sorry to be ramming the point home to you but I'd rather you thought I was an interferring ole cow than your tortoise be the next one. All the things I've said in the paragraph above are things other members have said to me in the past when I've mentioned about keeping their tortoises safe from their dogs.

So please please please do make 100% certain that your indoor and outdoor enclosures are safe

Last edited by Mrs Mental; 16-08-2009 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: my atrocious spelling PMSL!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 2

very good thread Mrs M maybe this could be made into a sticky for all new tort owners to see any time needed.
Old 16-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Posting Deity

good thinking actually - I'll ask one of the mods about that - thanks lovey
Advertisement

Old 16-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Super Citizen
Reviews: 2

Totally agree ...
No matter how obediant your dog, no matter how gentle your dog... It could do serious damage to your tortoise!!...
I have dogs & Torts, They are NEVER allowed to mix...

And this should be a sticky!!!
- Mrs. M well done for posting this!!

Kelly & Her Spikey Friends

www.facebook.com/medwayhedgehogrescue

Old 16-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Super Citizen

Good thread.

Please take note tortoise and dog owners....I'm one and I'm taking note.

Thanks.
3.4.0 Corn snakes
2.1.7 Crested geckos
3.3.0 Leopard geckos
2.2.0 Bearded Dragons
0.2.0 Miniature Dachshunds
2.0.0 Gerbils

Old 16-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Ultra Citizen

This should definatly be made a sticky!!!! Thank you for making this thread Mrs Mental, I must say you are a GREAT forum member!
Old 16-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Ultra Citizen

I knew It! When I first started reading this I thought "Oh here comes Mrs Mental's shot at making a sticky!" I think it should be one but the mods are not to flexible putting another sticky on the tortoise section because they say we have to many as it is well we will see but i hope it is a sticky

Old 16-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Super Regular

Actually thanks VERY much for this Mrs M !!!!!!!
'Cos I gained another dog in November last year and thought nothing about
putting my tortoise out in the spring.
All my other dogs have been raised since pups so all have known not to touch any other animal in the house. However this girl was adult and although brilliant with people I was horrified when she jumped into my tortoise pen and flipped him over!!!!!! She didn't hurt him but she could have done a lot of damage if he was smaller.
The bottom half of my garden is now a "no dog zone" because I have chickens too down there.

Donna
Old 16-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Posting Deity

Its such an important thread I think the Mods wont have any problem making it a thread. I cant see how it could be justified not to to be honest.

I've aked if its possible and fingers crossed they'll see the importance and help us out.

And oi LT naughty step for you for saying I'm trying to make a sticky
Old 16-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Egg

this is a really good thread and has really opened my eyes thank you!

My dog keeps climbing onto my tortoise enclosure... wait for it!..... to eat the veg on there! Im currently waiting for my new tortoise table to arrive from ebay, its 4ft x 2ft but I'm sure she'll still be able to get onto it as its going to be next to the sofa. How would mesh over the top work? I'm not worried about her picking one up more that she might stand on one espec as they're still small. Surely putting mesh over it would be dangerous as the mesh would get hot from the lamps? Or could I put mesh jut over the end of it so she can't stand on it? I just wondered if somebody else has had a similar thing and can help point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Amelia