Hermanns Tortoise - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 14-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Super Regular
Default Hermanns Tortoise

Hi guys.

I'm really sorry I'm sure you've all had this a million times but......

Its my girlfriends birthday in early November and she keeps nagging me for a Hermanns. I've read that they like to be outside as often as possible and we now have a nice enclosed back yard that it would be able to roam about in.

My main question is what are the pro's and cons of a tortoise table as opposed to a terranium?

What basking temperature do they need and if they are on a table does it not get too cold for them at night etc?

Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Premier Member

Hello.

I've never had a problem with my tortoise table temperatures at night. I have the central heating in the house set, so that if the temp reaches below 10*C it knocks itself on..i'm lucky here as it's a very warm house so not a problem at all. As long as the temp is maintained above 10*C you won't have a problem there.

Pro's of a tortoise table for a hermanns in particular is that it doesn't allow humidity to build up. Mediterrannean tortoises (such as hermanns n horsfields) thrive in dry conditions....humidity can cause respiritory problems with them. (this isn't to say they don't need a constant supply of water..regular baths help to keep the tortoise hydrated, also helps them with bowel movements)

Also Vivariums have glass fronts..some are all glass...n if the tortoise can see through the sides they will persist in trying to get through as they see it as a means of escape..this can lead to a very unhappy tortoise indeed. i've also found tortoise tables to be much MUCH cheaper than vivs.

You can buy substantially sized tortoise tables relatively cheaply..vivs are much more expensive (i keep snakes too trust me on this one lol)

Basking temperature is between 30-32*C. And the hermanns will need a UVB supply as well. There are combined bulbs on the market like the powersun combine uvb and heat..which are fantastic, n kick out much more uv than the normal uvb tubes..but if you are going to use the tubes i'd recommend the 10.0 uvb at the minimum..n be prepared to replace it every 4-6 months..as the tubes after this period lose their effectiveness

Katie

Katie

Old 14-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Super Regular

HI Grevo,

Its a simple answer if you want a healthy tort that won't cost you any expert vet (which you will need for tortoise's) fees is to always go for
a tort table, a viv is wrong in every way for a tort, if you look down the thread page you will see another link titled tort guide this has a little
booklet link you can download, it gives all the answers to the questions you will have when first setting up for a tortoise, it is written by on of
the best tortoise experts around.

Also here is my tort table to give you some idea of what you and your girlfriend will be taking on;

It sounds alot of hard work i know but if you get this right from the start a tortoise is a joy to have And its good you are asking now before
you buy the tort

Rachael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Super Citizen

Can't say much else to what has been said, but I will say DO NOT put a tortoise in a vivarium.

Also if you are thinking of getting her a tort around her birthday it would be when they are preparing to hibernate, if not already in hibernation. So it may be hard to find a hatchling, but you may find an older one that needs to rehomed. If thats the case I wouldn't hibernate it this year, as you will need time to make sure it is healthy.

The 10.0 UV lights last a year, but the ones below it need to be changed every 6 months.
Old 14-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Super Regular

Hi Grevo,

Its me again!, i know you didn't ask this question but can i also say please please don't buy from a pet shop or dealer could you please buy your tort from a U.K. breeder, here's a link to the Tortoise Protection Group they have a list of breeders;http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/
Its lovely you want to make this gift to your girlfriend, but now you can give a gift to her and a gift to the torts by protecting them

Many thanks
Rachael
Old 17-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Super Regular

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll definitely be using a tort table now!

Rachael website you linked for me doesn't seem to be working properly. When clicking on the breeders tab it doesn't redirect me anywhere??
Old 17-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevo View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll definitely be using a tort table now!

Rachael website you linked for me doesn't seem to be working properly. When clicking on the breeders tab it doesn't redirect me anywhere??

Hi,

I don't know why it won't work for you, i just clicked on the Tortoise protection group link from the post and had no trouble, but i am sorry you are having trouble, I will try again for you!

Try this one instead;TortoiseProtectionGroup : Tortoise Aid

Hope that one works
Old 17-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Regular

Hi Rachael

Sorry didn't explain myself properly!

When I go onto the link you posted the page opens up fine. But then when I try to click on UK breeders at the top like you suggested it wouldn't direct me anywhere.

Why is it you say I shouldn't buy from a pet shop?
Old 17-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevo View Post
Hi Rachael

Sorry didn't explain myself properly!

When I go onto the link you posted the page opens up fine. But then when I try to click on UK breeders at the top like you suggested it wouldn't direct me anywhere.

Why is it you say I shouldn't buy from a pet shop?
hI,
Sorry i forgot to say you would have to join as member it does not cost anything, as for petshops, you would be risking a chance of getting an imported tort, which is cruel to the tort and could have a hole load of health problems, which could end up costing you lots in vet fees!

Last edited by [email protected]; 17-09-2007 at 04:14 PM..
Old 17-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Super Regular

Cheers Rachael.

i shall join up now!