african helmeted turtles and musk turtles - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Egg
Default african helmeted turtles and musk turtles

I have an african helmeted turtle, I did have three but due to them attacking each other I only have one now.

In the aquatic shop I bought them from they keep the two african helmted turtles in separate tanks but with musk turtles. They are very small tanks with little space and they all seem to get on fine.

Does anyone know if it is ok to keep a musk turtle with an african helmeted turtle as it would be nice to have more than one in the tank? I don't trust the shops advice as they told me it was ok to keep two male african helmeted turtles together in the first place.

My african helmeted turtle is approx 2.5" 3.5" and I have a 95 litre tank 7/8ths full with a basking dock at the top under the light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Ultra Citizen

Musk turtles and African Helmeted require different set-ups so shouldnt be kept together. Being from africa they need hotter water than musks do.

As you have discovered African Helmeted turts tend to be aggressive towards other turts, even their own kind. Seeing as you have already had agression issues, maybe its best to keep that turt on its own.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:22 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

As you have unfortunately found out -African Helmeted turtles can be highly aggressive. This is not just towards their own kind. They can, and will kill turtles of other species. I am aware of one that killed a slider, much larger than itself by decapitating it.

Secondly, Musks are from North American and cannot live at the higher temperatures required by African turtles. Higher temps for the musks will be accelerated growth, and excessive shedding. If the temperature is lowered to suit the musk, then the AHT is at risk from stunted growth, the iinability to shed it's skin, leading to bacterial & fungal infection and in extreme cases, septacemia.

It sounds to be as if the shop you are going to knows very little about turtles, and has little regard for their livestock if they are willing to compromise the health of their animals by keeping them together.
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Egg

Thanks everyone.
I am going to be happy with my one cute little guy then.
We are going to get a Marine fish tank anyway so I will have enough on my hands with that.

Tags
african helmeted turtles , keeping together , musk turtles