Tortoise Table Decor HELP! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to b_uffy_summers
Default Tortoise Table Decor HELP!

In 2 weeks I am purchasing my new baby horsefield tortoise. I have already got my tortoise table.
It is like this one http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/img/...inet-image.JPG.

I have sorted the substate out, and have a small water bowl for him.

What I need to know is, in his built in hide, I put some of the playsand mix thing in, but does it need anythign extra (like with rabbits, you put straw in its hide thing)

Also, I want to put decor in, i thought large rocks, some habba huts (that he wont be able to swallow) and plants. But i dont want real plants, cos i am not good at maintaining plants (which is wierd because i am great at lookign after animals lol)

But I am worried that he would try to eat artificial ones . But I have seen pictures of others who use artificial cacti. Are these safe?? If not what else can I use.

The shop I am going to is called blue lizard reptile andf the website is Blue Lizard Reptiles - Reptile Shop, so if you could see anythign on there it would be great help

Beacuse I have said i dont want it to be too expensive, lot sof people have been saying to use tiles and tubs, plant pots etc but I dont want to use things like that.

P.S. Pictures would be great

Last edited by b_uffy_summers; 02-05-2011 at 09:45 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_uffy_summers View Post
In 2 weeks I am purchasing my new baby horsefield tortoise. I have already got my tortoise table.
It is like this one http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/img/...inet-image.JPG.

I have sorted the substate out, and have a small water bowl for him.

What I need to know is, in his built in hide, I put some of the playsand mix thing in, but does it need anythign extra (like with rabbits, you put straw in its hide thing)

Also, I want to put decor in, i thought large rocks, some habba huts (that he wont be able to swallow) and plants. But i dont want real plants, cos i am not good at maintaining plants (which is wierd because i am great at lookign after animals lol)

But I am worried that he would try to eat artificial ones . But I have seen pictures of others who use artificial cacti. Are these safe?? If not what else can I use.

The shop I am going to is called blue lizard reptile andf the website is Blue Lizard Reptiles - Reptile Shop, so if you could see anythign on there it would be great help

Beacuse I have said i dont want it to be too expensive, lot sof people have been saying to use tiles and tubs, plant pots etc but I dont want to use things like that.

P.S. Pictures would be great
Plain garden soil, or top soil from a garden centre with sand mixed in is best and you need to keep it sprayed so that it does not get dusty. A couple of slates will be needed to put the tortoises food on and a small water dish big enough to sit in. Artificial plants and vines are ideal and low maintenance. Be careful where you put the stones, away from the sides is better. For the indoor hide, it is not necessary to provide bedding because usually a tortoise will dig down but his oudoor pen should have hay and leaves in to make it warm and cosy. I assume you have the relevant lighting and uv?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweled lady View Post
Plain garden soil, or top soil from a garden centre with sand mixed in is best and you need to keep it sprayed so that it does not get dusty. A couple of slates will be needed to put the tortoises food on and a small water dish big enough to sit in. Artificial plants and vines are ideal and low maintenance. Be careful where you put the stones, away from the sides is better. For the indoor hide, it is not necessary to provide bedding because usually a tortoise will dig down but his oudoor pen should have hay and leaves in to make it warm and cosy. I assume you have the relevant lighting and uv?
Yeah, lighting is all sorted will if not try and eat the plants and stuff? I have read that they can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Postaholic Member

If you really need to keep the cost down, don't buy reptile-specific artificial plants and such. If you've a Dunelm Mill near you, raid their artificial flowers/plants. They're brilliant! Mine have never tried to eat any of the artificial stuff. They have a sniff but realise it's not food and aren't interested (unless they're hiding under it!)

Buried plant pots are brilliant for hides and they do look fine. They also allow you to create a hill, which is good for the tort. Have a look in the indoor enclosures sticky for more ideas, but here's some pics I have to hand of my table showing what sort of bits I use/have used

When it was fancier!

When it was an indoor rabbit cage

Oyster shell separated from readi grass with some nice decor wood and flat cork bark

Demonstrating 'The Climb'

That's all the pics I really have that show decor, hope it helps anyway. I just like posting pics

0.2.0 Common musks [Tutti & Fruitti] 0.1.0 Razorback musk [Doodlebug] 0.2.0 Reeves turtles [Nova & Io] 0.1.0 Spotted turtle [Domino]
1.1.0 Hermanns tortoises [Big & Not So]
1.0.0 Labrador [Rigsby]

UK Turtle Group | Facebook
Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Gold Star Member

I have a patch of growing weeds which were grown in a tray first, they have actually survived very well with my baby sully and as I spray the soil everyday its no trouble to give them a bit of water. I didn't think they'd survive but they are thriving and he just has the odd nibble and goes around rather than through them, if you are planning on growing any food such as plants or weeds then it might be worth trying some even if you plant in a shallow tray and put the tray in the substrate. The light from the lamps are enough for the plants and the torts do love having them and as you have to spray at least once a day the plants will get their water.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Regular

@AnythingWithAShell: WOW, it looks so pretty. I may have to use these pictures as inspiration

@annsimpson1: Hmmm, I might try and attempt to grow something in like the corner. Could you give me some easy plants I could grow, and some instructions
Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Gold Star Member

you can buy a good selection of seeds from the Shelled Warriors shop or simply buy the mixed lettuce/ rocket whatever seeds or even have a look in a garden center for a wild flower mix they should say whats in there but Shelled Warriors is the best as you can pick and mix. They can all be grown in shallow trays I use the ones that you get curry portions etc from the supermarket in or shallow butter tubs, the other way is to grow them in proper plant trays and when they are big enough simply 'cut' out a patch of the plants and 'plant' them in your subtrate. Most will grow in plain old garden soil I know some add a bit of limestone flour to the soil in the hope that the plants take a bit more calcium and place them on your windowsill they can go outside when the nights are a bit warmer and the plants are hardier. A few growing plants will make the table look nice and give the torts something to fresh to nibble on and seeds are very cheap so its worth a try, Shelled Warriors is another good site worth joining, you can also find seeds in the reptile/tortoise section on ebay.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Super Citizen

Nastertiums are really easy to grow in anything and anywhere. Not all of mine will eat them but they all love climbing through it . Get the trailing type for 79p a pack of seeds in morrisons. I have these growing even through the winter.

Tags
decor , tortoise