Turtle or tortoise? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 15-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Charlotte__
Default Turtle or tortoise?

Hello, im looking into getting either a turtle or tortoise, ive got the money to cover the essentials for both and love both! but just want some peoples opinions (most likely bias but that doesn't matter )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-05-2011, 07:02 PM

We keep both. A turtle setup all brand new will come in at around £200, (tank, external filter, basking dock, basking light, uvb light etc) but female Sliders and Cooters grow very large, 12"+ and do need to be housed outdoors preferably in the summer and very large indoor enclosures for the winter (they can stay out if healthy etc). A male will pester a female and two males may not get on. You cannot sex them when young.

Musk turtles do not grow nearly so large, but still need a good external filter.

Tortoises in a way can be easier - they live outside during the summer months and hibernate in the winter - subject to species. They do need uvb and a basking area, plus a tortoise table for overnight (depending on the temperature) and for the colder months. The same applies to the male:female ratio and being unable to sex when young. Tortoises of course are much more expensive to buy.

Turtles are fed pellets, pondweed etc, whereas the more common tortoises eat weeds so you will need to have a good supply or know where to pick some that are clean.

It depends really on the amount of space you have and whether you want to watch an animal. Turtles are more active as they are awake when you are as tortoises do tend to sleep more, or ours do, ie they are both asleep now having been outside today, whereas the turtles are all actively swimming about (the ones that are inside).

I hope I haven't rambled too much, but I would add our 2 tortoises seem to cause us more concern/worry than our 18 turtles put together!
Old 15-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Gold Star Member

I've had turtles for a while now but like you also like tortoises so I've given in and will also be getting a tortoise very shortly. If you love both it's no good choosing one or the other, you may as well plan for both

I can only talk about turtles for the moment but they're fun things. My 4 splash up to me when it's feeding time as fast as they can with their little heads popping out of the water. They can take a little while to settle in but once they do they're very inquisitive and always come over to see what's going on. You can end up with a pond in your house though which you never originally planned on having

Last edited by _simon_; 15-05-2011 at 08:04 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-05-2011, 05:26 PM

I see from another post you have said you don't have a tortoise anymore - can I ask why?

Having typed out my opinion/thoughts - you would know most of it already if you have had a tortoise previously!
Old 16-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen P View Post
I see from another post you have said you don't have a tortoise anymore - can I ask why?

Having typed out my opinion/thoughts - you would know most of it already if you have had a tortoise previously!
When he was hibernating the temps got to low and killed the poor little fella, thats why i was swaying towards turtle but then thought i like non hibernating tortoises but i went to the rep shop and fell in love with a marginated tortoise! im just going to be ever so carefull with hibernating this time!

Old 16-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Gold Star Member

The advice I've had from the shelled warrior forum is that you don't have to hibernate a tortoise as long as you can keep it fed properly and kept at the right temperature.
Old 16-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by _simon_ View Post
The advice I've had from the shelled warrior forum is that you don't have to hibernate a tortoise as long as you can keep it fed properly and kept at the right temperature.
I was told it causes unnecessary stress not to hibernate them.

Old 16-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Gold Star Member

I guess it's one of those things where it depends who you talk to then. Same with pellets, some people will tell you they're pure evil and some will recommend them.
Old 16-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Hatchling

Hi Charlotte,

I keep two turtles (Map & YBS) and they are fantastic little (for now..) guys. They have such big personalitys and are absolutely fascinating!! Once you have purchased the tank and equipment they are fairly cheap to keep too!! Although as stephen said (depending on the species) they get BIG so its always best to consider long term before commiting to buying any of the larger species.

I originally was after a tortoise but was swayed to turtles when I came across them in an aquatic shop (and at £12 pound per turtle vs the £150 per tortoise I was going to buy was also a big influence on my decision making !!). The thought of hibernating a tortoise also put me off too; unfortunately you get so much conflicting advice on the net when it comes to hibernating or not its hard to know what to do for the tortoise's best interest!!

Just try and get as much feedback as you can from keepers of both and weigh up the pros and cons. Good luck
Old 17-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Ultra Citizen

Captive bred tortoises will not know any different if you do not hibernate, and as a result do not suffer stress. It is quite different for a wild caught adult who has hibernated regularly in captivity for 40 years odd, and who did so in the wild before that. They quite naturally will stress out if anything changes in their yearly/monthly/weekly routine. A big one would be trying to overwinter them.

Saying that, many tortoises can be very adaptable. We have a 120 year old huge whiteii now on its third owners (us). She was a garden in the summer, hibernation box in the winter tortoise for 100 years. We got her just at the end of one summer, and were reluctant to hibernate essentially an unknown animal. Puzzled at first to be in an indoor enclosure, she adapted, sleeping in a corner, but demanding food with menaces 3 times a week (she quickly learned the routine). Pleased with the success of this, we have overwintered her for four years now, and she is clever enough to know when it is time to go outside, and she is quick to settle when she is brought in. The only stress seen is from me when I am late feeding her- she gets very stroppy, and bangs on the enclosure making it impossible to hear the TV!!