Hermanns not drinking - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 27-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Egg
Default Hermanns not drinking

Hi, I have a Hermanns tortoise and he doesnt seem to drink very often, I find it a bit of a struggle to get him to actually drink from his water bowl! Any ideas on how to encourage him? I think he gets enough water through his food and I have tried wetting it a little just for a bit extra water.
I also just built him a big new tortoise table after doing a lot of research on vivariums turns out i was housing him very inappropriately in the past, I think i got really bad advice, I was told that a UV tube and a heatmat with Chipsi was sufficient for him, and I only just learnt it wasnt a few weeks ago!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Gold Star Member

Do you bathe him? If you bathe him in a shallow luke warm bowl of water it'll help keep him hydrated and you should find he also drinks at the same time along with emptying his bowels.
Old 27-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Egg

Yeah I do, thanks! I was just a bit worried cause I feel like there was something I do wrong that makes him not want to drink!
I think hes been really excited and has been scratching at the sides of his new table today cause its so much better than what I used to house him in! He's sleeping in a plant pot right now! I feel a lot better because he seems so much happier in his new home !
Thanks for the advice and generally for making me feel better about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Gold Star Member

I've only had my tortoise since yesterday but I've been doing a lot of reading this past month and I've read that they can actually drink through their nostrils so sometimes it's not obvious they're actually drinking. So if you see his head under water when bathing him then chances are he's probably drinking.
Old 27-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Egg

Ah okay! He doesnt seem to enjoy baths very much, sometimes he really enjoys it and other times he scratches to be out!
I've also been reading a lot and doing research lately, and i feel terrible about the way he used to be housed! I think i'm actually going to take him to see a vet because occasionally he makes a sort of sniffing noise as if he has a blocked nose.. maybe a respiratory infection because of the viv? Anyway i'm just glad he will be happier and looked after better from now on!
Old 27-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Regular

Did you just change his habitat? when I first got Henry he was in a viv ( blasted pet shops!) I never once saw him drink in the viv when i first moved him from his Viv to his table he wasn't drinking so i continued to bathe him daily, these days he is in and out of his in his water bowl takeing good long drinks. I think he was just unimpressed with the big change over. . If its a new set up he might just need some time.
I'm a newbie myself this is just my personal experience.

Tracey
Old 27-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Egg

Yeah, I could post some photos here tomorrow of his new enclosure? I think Iv done a fairly good job! I just need a few extra bits like plants and maybe another hide and then I'l be happy with it, do you guys use bedding? I was thinking of maybe getting some Readigrass just for more textures mainly!
Old 27-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Egg

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question haha!
Yeah I think it may be that hes curious of his new setup as he's been very active today and hes really looked about the place!
Old 27-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Regular

The general advise on subrate is sterlised top soil and play sand 70/30 although some dont use the sand , as some tortys get itchy eyes with it.

tracey
Old 27-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Egg

Yeah, I have 70/30 soil and sand I just also put in a little area of slate and some Chipsi i still had leftover, dont really know if thats a good idea but i'm trying it out.
Also, I was just gonna put the Readigrass around the hide for a bit of extra digging space!

Tags
drinking , hermanns , table , tortoise , water