Moving musk turtles to pond - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 27-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Hatchling
Default Moving musk turtles to pond

Hi all,im new to this forum and was hoping for some advice.I have two musk turtles currently living in a tank,i would prefer to move them to my pond which is 8x4 foot and 18 inches deep with shelfs on either side for planting.It is a raised pond with a 5 inch overhang and currently has 6 small fish.
I would like to know from you if it possible to leave the turtles in over the winter to hibernate,i have used clay soil from my garden at the bottom and i live in the south west of the england.I would also like some advice on how to build a basking site and any other tips you can offer,thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-05-2011, 09:54 PM

If you put your Musks into a pond that size you will never see them! They are really quite shy, secretive little things and will be totally lost.

That said, your pond sounds ideal if you were able to take on some large sized Sliders or Cooters that desperately need rehoming. I'm sure we could put you in touch with someone that knows of some that need rehoming.

Romski on here lives rougly in your neck of the woods and has some lovely natural pond setups. Put his name into the Search facilty and go to the threads or posts by him (apologies if you know that already) and has lots of advice and info about overwintering turtles.

Ours are outside during the warmer months but return inside from October to April.
Old 27-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen P View Post
If you put your Musks into a pond that size you will never see them! They are really quite shy, secretive little things and will be totally lost.

That said, your pond sounds ideal if you were able to take on some large sized Sliders or Cooters that desperately need rehoming. I'm sure we could put you in touch with someone that knows of some that need rehoming.

Romski on here lives rougly in your neck of the woods and has some lovely natural pond setups. Put his name into the Search facilty and go to the threads or posts by him (apologies if you know that already) and has lots of advice and info about overwintering turtles.

Ours are outside during the warmer months but return inside from October to April.
Thanks for the reply,the main reason i want to move them is the tank there in is way to small and i dont have the money or space to get a bigger tank.I go out every night with a flashlight to see the fish so guess this the only way i might see the turtles!

I was thinking about getting some bigger turtles but at the moment i dont have a good enough filtration system for anything bigger and im not able to bring them in over winter so id have to be sure they could survive.

Could you tell me how you went about building a basking area for yours/cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Super Citizen
Default Musks

You must ensure that your turts cant escape.

If your present setup is too small put them outside. a couple of times a week drop in earth worms and food. They may get used to a regular pattern so may see them. When you are able to provide a better set up you can fish them out again.

Rom
Old 28-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romski View Post
You must ensure that your turts cant escape.

If your present setup is too small put them outside. a couple of times a week drop in earth worms and food. They may get used to a regular pattern so may see them. When you are able to provide a better set up you can fish them out again.

Rom
Thanks for the advice,ive tried to read as many of the threads i can find and the reports there were links to on winterizing and my pond seems to fit the bill.Would it be a good idea to make a clear perspex lid for the winter?
The only concern i have about escaping is that i have plants on the shelfs ,i really cant see them supporting there weight but i may have to move them or possibly raise the sides.If i put some pics up maybe you can give me some advice on them.Its also old creasoted sleepers,there badly faded though so im hoping it has worn off and i can reseal them with something safer.
One last thing,do you have any tips on making a basking area,or shall i start a seperate thread,this is the first time if used a forum so not sure the best way to go about things,thanks,Rich

Tags
musk turtles newbie setup , pond basking , pond heater