outdoor enclosure suitable for english summer? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 19-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Regular
Default outdoor enclosure suitable for english summer?

I have just built an outdoor enclosure for my hermann and ive put him in this evening and as he has only been kept in a tortoise table I wondered if this english "heat" will be ok. Would i need a heat source outside? Should I leave him outside just on nice days? I dont want to put a lamp outside as its a rented house and i dont want to drill holes to put wires out in the garden.
Advertisement

Old 19-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Forum Citizen

How old is your Tortoise Lewis? This time of year the evenings are getting cooler so ideally you will want some sort of shelter with some background heating in it for the tortoise to retreat to at night if it wants to. Ideally to keep him outside as long as possible you would have heat lamps too for long periods of cold, wet weather so they can warm up in the morning before venturing out to feed. This isn't essential though, you may just have to bring him in if the weather is bad for long periods. I have managed without for the last four years and never had to bring mine in until risk of frost is back. HTH

Ben
1.2.0 Marginated Tortoises
Old 20-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisJones View Post
I have just built an outdoor enclosure for my hermann and ive put him in this evening and as he has only been kept in a tortoise table I wondered if this english "heat" will be ok. Would i need a heat source outside? Should I leave him outside just on nice days? I dont want to put a lamp outside as its a rented house and i dont want to drill holes to put wires out in the garden.
I would advise you to take your tortoise in for the night. If he has only been in a table, then moving him out completely is a bit drastic at this time of year. Give him a chance to warm up under the lamp first. Is it on a timer. Once he is warmed up, then put him out. Depending on where you live, not much point in going out if there is no sun!

Old 20-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Super Regular

He is 3 years old (87mm) and healthy. His lights are on a timer from 8am, so ill change that to 6am and then put him out when i go to work (7.30.) I'll sort out out a shelter with a heater for next year! What would be the minimum day tempreture I should put him out in?

Thanks alot for you help.
Old 20-08-2011, 10:31 AM

The minimum is 15c or so I believe - basically it seems if its warm enough for you to wear a t shirt then it should be ok for them. That said, its not that warm here and we are in the south (Surrey) so ours haven't gone outside yet. 7.30 am its only about 11c or has been here the last couple of mornings.