Need help with my yellow bellied slider turtle?Please :) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 02-03-2012, 01:59 AM
Egg
Default Need help with my yellow bellied slider turtle?Please :)

So basically, I have 2 sliders & 2 musks.The rest of them are healthy,it's just the 1 slider.He first started acting weird about 2 weeks ago.He was twitching/having spasms and he couldn't use his back legs properly whilst swimming.He also stopped eating & we kept him out the tank because he seemed happier.He was struggling in the water & wouldn't eat anything so we had to force feed him a mix of carrots & cucumber which we blended.he wouldn't open his mouth so we could only get droplets in but it gave him energy.he really hated being fed though and he was still barely moving his back legs.we took him to the vet but he didn't give him any treatment and said about our light and what we were feeding him.although I could argue that the 3 other turtles are fine.

Now the ill turtle has improved,he is eating veggie turtle pellets,grubs,lettuce,carrot,shrimp,chicken,prawns and the plant we have in our tank,so quite a variety.But he still has a lack of movement in his back legs!Though I know he can use them as I see him kick them out sometimes and he reacts when you touch them.He is only using his front legs to swim ATM and the other slider is huge compared to him.I just don't know what is wrong with his legs?Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknotillidie View Post
So basically, I have 2 sliders & 2 musks.The rest of them are healthy,it's just the 1 slider.He first started acting weird about 2 weeks ago.He was twitching/having spasms and he couldn't use his back legs properly whilst swimming.He also stopped eating & we kept him out the tank because he seemed happier.He was struggling in the water & wouldn't eat anything so we had to force feed him a mix of carrots & cucumber which we blended.he wouldn't open his mouth so we could only get droplets in but it gave him energy.he really hated being fed though and he was still barely moving his back legs.we took him to the vet but he didn't give him any treatment and said about our light and what we were feeding him.although I could argue that the 3 other turtles are fine.

Now the ill turtle has improved,he is eating veggie turtle pellets,grubs,lettuce,carrot,shrimp,chicken,prawns and the plant we have in our tank,so quite a variety.But he still has a lack of movement in his back legs!Though I know he can use them as I see him kick them out sometimes and he reacts when you touch them.He is only using his front legs to swim ATM and the other slider is huge compared to him.I just don't know what is wrong with his legs?Help
Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry to read about the turtle, but it sounds like some sort of paralysis, but I'm afraid I don't know.

I would just say though that two Sliders and two Musks together is not ideal. How old/what size are the turtles as young Musks cannot cope nearly as well as Sliders with deep water.

The diet you are feeding is not suitable. Certainly force feeding vegetables to an animal that is not a vegetable eater is not ideal - no wonder he wouldn't eat it. He really now needs less protein as it can cause abnormal shell growth and internal problems. Reptomin, wheatgerm pellets are ideal (Musk diet is slightly different though) together with Romaine lettuce, clean dandelion leaves and carrot tops.

Can I also add -

How big is the tank?
How deep is the water?
What temperature is the water?
What temperature is the basking area?
What filter are you using?
What lights are you using?

Sorry for all the questions, but as much information as possible is needed for us to be able to help.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Egg
Default thanks for replying :)

Hiya, I am pretty much clueless as to what's wrong with him,but me and my girlfriend both have said it is like some sort of paralysis.

All the turtles were 8 months when we got them, so they will be just over a year old now.The ill slider is small compared to the healthy one,the other is nearly twice the size!The musks are the same age and they are still quite small, but we've never had any problems with them.Except they can be quite nasty,my girlfriend was bitten by one and it hurt her despite that they only have small mouths.Sharp though!lol.

Well I was told different,they are fussy with veg but they do eat it.They have had romaine lettuce,cucumber,carrots that I have heard are good for them,and the plant in the tank was recommended for the turtles,and they love it!

Its a 70 litre tank, the water is half full,we don't know the exact temperature,but the water feels lukewarm,and they seem to like it near the heatlamp where the water is even warmer.

We have a fluval filter,and another standard filter.We've got a UVB bulb,and a heatlamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 AM

Sorry, but the information you have about their diet is wrong.

You really need a thermometer for the water temperature and need to know the temperature of the basking area. Do they have a basking dock where they can climb right out the water and dry off - the Sliders in particular need this?

70 litres half full is not a lot of water. The recommended amount is 40 litres per shell for the first turtle and 20 litres per shell for the second, third etc. Young Musks can struggle in deep water but Sliders can cope and really need it a lot deeper.

Are you able to post some pictures so we can help you further?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Hatchling

there is a good topic on turtle times about the diet of sliders:

A Diet Summary for Sliders - Turtle Times Forums
Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Egg

Thanks for that!we are feeding the turtles most of the things on that list!i knew carrots were good for them.But I am just worried about this ill little turtle.The other turtles are very healthy and active,the ill one is quite active,eating and basking,but his legs have little movement,except from when we pick him up he kicks his back legs loads,so we know he can move them!his front ones are fine
Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 AM

We don't feed carrots, they have had the occasional carrot top (the feathery green bits but the budgies normally get those).

They wouldn't exactly come across carrots in the wild!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM
5 Star Member

I completely agree with what Stephen P has said, she really knows what she is talking about, please take her advice on board. As stated pictures will really help as your set up does not sound ideal.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Egg

Lol, no I know they wouldn't come across carrots,but they wouldn't come across carrot tops.Alot of your ideas we already use in their diet.

I know the set up isn't perfect,but I really just want some ideas as to what's up with my ill turtle.I'm really unsure as the other turtle's are healthy.His legs are slowly getting stronger but I would really like to know what's caused this,it really is a difficult thing to diagnose.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Ultra Citizen

Often health problems derive from an inadequate set-ups and diet. It can stress them and also hinder them recovering from illness.

Tags
aquatic turtle , turtle back legs , turtle health problems , turtle illnesses , yellow bellied slider