Pancakes first summer enclosure! (pic heavy) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 25-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Pancakes first summer enclosure! (pic heavy)

I was getting excited seeing everyone else making their summer enclosures, and as my garden is a building site.. I cant get to planning my permanent outdoor enclosure until next summer. So when i found that IKEA were selling a storage unit that matched my dining table and chairs (this was this morning) convinced the hubby to take a trip there so we could get it. one thing led to another and I ended up doing the whole lot this afternoon haha, hopefully it will do for Sheldon, Swarley and Spartacus for this summer.. and maybe next year depending on how far we get with our works, i cant wait to show it to them, hopefully it will be warm enough tomorrow for a short supervised visit! Hope its ok... let me know what you think! Louise

unit assembled

Lined (plus holes stabbed in the bottom)

weighted down and helps to raise the soil height

Filled with a generous layer of sterilized topsoil

Tah-dah!

Table complete with 5 hides, sandpit, mopani wood, weeds, LIMBO POLE, many types of substrate, and more!

Plant pot hide and orchard bark

Coffee pot hide, oyster shell and rocks

Whole enclosure on wheels so easy to move!

Finally a lid to keep out any unwanted guests while its out of use!
_simon_ and GreenSlider like this.

0.0.2 Pancake Tortoise - You can see more of Sheldon, Swarley and Spartacus (RIP) at... http://www.youtube.com/user/SheldonandSwarely

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Ultra Citizen

put my two '10 hermannis out today in 18c sunshine..they hid til i brought them back under MVB..obviously terrorised by the sun..maybe thought it was armageddon!
Clarebear likes this.
Old 25-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 7

Looks great, although I'd want a mesh lid on the top when the tortoises are in it. Don't want any birdies having a snack!

Old 25-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSlider View Post
put my two '10 hermannis out today in 18c sunshine..they hid til i brought them back under MVB..obviously terrorised by the sun..maybe thought it was armageddon!
haha, mine went out a few days ago and loved the sun! but chasing them all over my overgrown lawn was a bit terrifying! i will be much happier having them in a controlled space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy B Bunny View Post
Looks great, although I'd want a mesh lid on the top when the tortoises are in it. Don't want any birdies having a snack!
Oh yes, ive got my mesh all sorted just need to cut it to size, Until the summer im only going to take them out for a supervised play.. its still a bit chilly to be out all day long :o cant wait to show them it tomorrow >.<

0.0.2 Pancake Tortoise - You can see more of Sheldon, Swarley and Spartacus (RIP) at... http://www.youtube.com/user/SheldonandSwarely

Old 25-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Forum Citizen

That's great! I actually have a home made version, very similar to this, but it is beginning to fall to bits. Did you buy the whole thing from Ikea, with the wheels on and lid etc? How much was it?
Old 25-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyg View Post
That's great! I actually have a home made version, very similar to this, but it is beginning to fall to bits. Did you buy the whole thing from Ikea, with the wheels on and lid etc? How much was it?
hi, yes it came all together, even comes with a plastic liner bag but as im going to use it for storage once the torts have outgrown it i didnt want to make holes in the actual bag so just used rubble sacks. It was £84, Applaro storage bench. its a good depth and not too big so good for young ones

Old 25-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Forum Citizen

Thanks! I wish I had known about them a couple of years ago before I spent hours and hours making the one I have now that is slowly falling apart! Definately going to get one of these next time as I have a small garden with high walls and need to keep wheeling the enclosure about so the sun stays on it!
Old 26-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyg View Post
Thanks! I wish I had known about them a couple of years ago before I spent hours and hours making the one I have now that is slowly falling apart! Definately going to get one of these next time as I have a small garden with high walls and need to keep wheeling the enclosure about so the sun stays on it!
they are brand new which is why i hadnt got one previously, as its the same range as all my other garden furniture Its really sturdy too so it should last!
katyg likes this.

Old 26-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Forum Citizen

that's brilliant,should see you on this year at least
Old 26-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Forum Citizen

that's any excellent idea you had there whats the sizes/dimensions of the enclosure? thanks

Tags
outdoor enclosure , pancake tortoise