Is my YBS healthy? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 17-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Hatchling
Default Is my YBS healthy?

Hi,

I rescued this YBS female as she wasn't being treated properly (No basking shelf, wrong lights, not fed properly etc). I have been looking after her for a few months now and she seems healthy except her shell looks awful. Is there anything to worry about? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-09-2012, 09:50 PM

Welcome!

She is a Cooter, although the care is the same as Sliders.

There would appear to be previous damage to the shell, but I would be concerned at the redness showing. We are currently treating one for shell rot and it is taking a long time. There is probably "something" underneath those scutes and really (depending upon your knowledge, confidence etc) needs a vet to remove the infected areas and treating. This involves dry docking. It also appears to be green in places?

The top of the shell looks ok, but a bit of sunshine wouldn't go amiss! What sort of temperature is the basking area, and what do you feed.

This is purely my opinion, others may not agree - hopefully someone else will be able to help also.
Old 17-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Hatchling

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for your reply!

Are you 100% sure she is a cooter? She was sold to the previous owner as a slider. Is there any way to treat the damage on her shell?

It might be worth noting that her shell was green when she was first bought, but because she has been mistreated it would seem the colouration has left her shell.

The green areas looks like algae to me but I am no expert. However, there is no algae in her tank.

Her basking temp is around 32 C and I feed her Fresh fruit and veg, Fresh meat and fish, King British all purpose food and Supa Turtle Food.

I have never owned a Terrapin before but I had to take her as her conditions were terrible. I have done my best since I adopted her and she has grown around a inch, maybe two.

Many thanks =]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-09-2012, 10:46 PM
5 Star Member

Its a cooter.
Old 17-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Hatchling

What are the characteristics of a cooter as I have been doing some research and people have said that the best way to tell is by the stripes near her tail and if they are vertical then its a slider and if they are horizontal it is a cooter. But her stripes are vertical?

Thanks
Old 18-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Forum Citizen

YBS have a distinctive yellow verticle line behind the eye almost like an S shape, like this - http://www.theturtlesource.com/turtl...lowBellies.jpg

yours doesnt have it.

they also have two spots on their plastron, just under their neck, like this -

http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsoc...cripta)034.JPG

which yours also doesnt have.

others may be able to add to this
Old 18-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Super Regular

You can post pictures of the side of her head and her butt. She does though look like a cooter. How long have you had her? Has she ever shed her scutes?

Danny
Old 19-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Hatchling

I can't post any photos atm due to camera problems but will later.

i have had her for around five months now and she has never properly shed, just some flaking. How often are they supposed to shed scutes?
Old 19-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Super Regular

An adult should shed once to twice a year. She definately looks like she should be shedding scutes. Does she get to dry off completly?

Danny
Old 19-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Hatchling

yes she gets to dry off completly but before i took her she had no basking area. could that cause permanent damaage.

Tags
problem , shell , terrapin , ybs , yellow bellied slider