newbie with two baby ybs. HELP - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Regular
Default newbie with two baby ybs. HELP

hi guys and girls this is my first post.

right ive always had fish (tropical&marine) but decided to get two baby yellow bellied sliders. so i went down the local aquatic shop to have a look. after talking to the owner a few times i decided to get them so asked him loads and loads of questions about the tank set up and done what he said. he told me i could convert one of my old tropical tanks to take them while they were still babys untill i buy a much bigger tank. i done everything he said, left my tank mature with goldfish in there for six weeks till the water was perfect for them. got a floating dock for them and they have been in there for a week now and they seem really happy, swimming about and chilling on the dock and eating well. the only thing im concerned about is the guy told me that i didnt need a basking light when there young. is this true?? i want to give them the best i can and dont want them suffering or anything. i would normal just go out and buy a basking light but the problem is that the tank i converted was a old tropical tank with the lights bult in to the lid and cant fit a basking light in without taking off the lid and if i take it off ill have no lights except the basking light. will that be okay? any advice is appreciated

sorry its a very long first post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

First off this should help:

Terrapin Information UK

If you can post some pictures we can id them as turtles are often all sold as YBS when they aren't always. They may be Cooters or Cumberland Sliders, but the care is more or less the same.

If they are female they are going to get big 12"+ and will need a very large indoor pond/tank and preferably an outdoor pond for the summer. Males do not get so big, but if you have one of each then it could become a problem later.

They do need a basking area (all as in that caresheet). The tank should not have a lid as it can cause the humidity to build up and lead to respiratory problems, nor gravel. You will also need a good external filter.

Are the goldfish still in the tank because if so I would recommend removing them? What, and how often are you feeding the turtles?

Ask as many questions as you need to. (Sorry I've asked a few as well!)
Old 03-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Postaholic Member

As above, remove the lid asap and you do need basking lamps, they are esential for basking turtles of all ages. In fact provision of UVB for hatchlings is particularly important, as they are growing fast and need the UV to produce Vitamin D3 which is used to process calcium into shell and bone, without this they may be susceptible to MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease).
0.1.0 Amel/R.Okeetee Cornsnake "Candy"
1.1.0 Phelsuma m. grandis "Desmond & Doris"
0.2.0 Tibetan Spaniels "Ruby & Sapphire"
0.2.0 Brahma Hens
0.1.0 White Silkie Bantam
1.0.0 Belgian Hare "Geyser"
0.0.1 Grammostola pulchra
5.15.3 White Fantail Doves
2.2.0 Indian Runner Ducks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Regular

il take some photos in a bit.

right the tank is a orca tl450 so the filter is at the back of the tank. i just bought a eheim profeeional 3e 700 external filter ready for the new much larger tank.

it does have gravel, should i remove that?

they get feed twice a day with frozen bloodworm. i normal leave it half hour then remove any un eaten food. they normal only leave a little bit

they get one frozen block between them in the morning and another about 6 oclock ish

no the goldfish were removed once the tank matured

i keep the water at 26 and check it everyday.

if i remove the lid that will take away the light source. if i put a basking light on will that be enough?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Postaholic Member

I would remove the gravel, better safe than sorry!

Bloodworm is not going to provide them with all the essential vitamins and minerals, the best way to provide these is to feed a diet based on good quality commercial pellets, there's a sticky at the top of this section discussing those.

You need to provide either a lamp that gives both heat and UVB, eg a Mercury Vapour, or seperate bulbs one for UVB and one for heat and additional visible light.

If you read the caresheet that was linked to it explains all of this.
0.2.0 Brahma Hens
Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Regular

few photos

so i remove the lid and use a Mercury Vapour that will be okay? where can i get one from? id like to go get it now rather than wait to order one. like i said i dont wana cause any discomfort to gizmo and louie (dodgy names i know)

okay il change the food asap thanks for all the advise
Old 03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Regular

sorry about the [email protected] photos
Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Postaholic Member

Where do you live (in case there's somewhere nearby we can recommend to get a bulb)? It's likely to cost you a lot more from a shop than online, and you'll need to buy the correct fitting and shade for it too, it could work out expensive. They'd be fine for a few days without, you could just use something like an Anglepoise lamp to provide heat and light until a proper bulb arrives and save yourself some money!
0.2.0 Brahma Hens
Old 03-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Regular

swansea. if i have to order everything i need online wheres best to buy?

and shade? what is everything i need? sorry for the basic questions i bet youve answered these 1000's of times.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Regular

heres two more photos of them

are they ybs?

Tags
yellow bellied slider