Please help! Sick baby yellow bellied slider turtle/urgent may be metabolic bone d. - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 13-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Regular

Awesome I will have my bf do it, so am I right that you need a pic of my set up and of him? Any certain way that I need to get the shot? Thanks alot guys for all the support! This forum is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Regular

Btw when I got him as usual the ppl didnt tell me I needed all this stuff so it took me about 5 days to acquire all the right stuff so I'm hoping I didn't make an already sick turtle sicker by not havi g proper equipment. But he has everything he needs now to lead a good hatchling life! I also put food in the water and he nipped at it. The. I got to excited and put him a private bowl that I scattered with food and water from his tank but he wouldn't eat. Everytime I try to feed him seperatly it's a miserable failure. He just sits there with the food stuck to him lol!
Old 13-05-2013, 02:47 AM
Regular
Smile Pictures of Sheldon, the yellow bellied slider

Turtle Photos by chaoticmatt | Photobucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-05-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennvixen View Post
Btw when I got him as usual the ppl didnt tell me I needed all this stuff so it took me about 5 days to acquire all the right stuff so I'm hoping I didn't make an already sick turtle sicker by not havi g proper equipment. But he has everything he needs now to lead a good hatchling life! I also put food in the water and he nipped at it. The. I got to excited and put him a private bowl that I scattered with food and water from his tank but he wouldn't eat. Everytime I try to feed him seperatly it's a miserable failure. He just sits there with the food stuck to him lol!
Feed him in the main tank. Every time you pick him up and move him he will get very stressed - not surprising he is not eating. He of course needs to be in water to eat.

As you have two then the other one may be getting all the food so keep an eye of that. The bolder one could be moved out for feeding if this is the case, but we have never taken any of ours out of their main tanks for feeding elsewhere.
Jennvixen likes this.
Old 13-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Regular
Smile

I've seen a lot of posts where people take them out, and put them in a small dish of water to separate them while feeding instead of Sheldon I'll take my other one out, he's a piggy and will eat everything I put in there including the fish flakes!
Old 13-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Regular

How often should I clean the tank, if he is just shy? I don't want to mess with his surroundings if so... Can anyone give me some tips on that as well?
Old 13-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Regular
Unhappy

I don't want to scare him but I really think if he doesn't eat soon he will die.
Old 13-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Regular

I have 1 musk and never take him out now not even to clean as he was getting stressed out. I clean mine every 2 weeks.
nikkikenney likes this.
Old 13-05-2013, 05:45 PM

I think people take them out to feed them in the hope that they will do a poo and it saves on cleaning the tank.

Obviously if one is eating all the food or being aggressive then it should always be that one that is taken out.

They really do get stressed being handled.

Do you have an external filter on the tank as this will mean you do not need to keep cleaning them out?

Sadly, turtles are brought over here in such large quantities and shoved into tiny tanks with several others in pet shops/aquatic centres etc. Often they are ill before you purchase them and of course whatever it is can spread and affect them all.

Have you contacted the shop where you bought him/her to let them know the situation?

As for diet - you don't want to be feeding dog food or strawberries. Try something that moves as suggested above - mealworms, crickets, locusts to see if he shows any interest. Also anything that has a strong smell - trout, salmon, prawns etc - again just to see if he is tempted. Reptomin pellets or Zoo Med turtle pellets, wheatgerm pellets, frozen bloodworm, duckweed, pondweed can all be given once he is eating.

Good luck - I know its a worry, but do keep us posted.
nikkikenney and supatips like this.
Old 13-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue25muskturtle View Post
I have 1 musk and never take him out now not even to clean as he was getting stressed out. I clean mine every 2 weeks.
I am concerned with mine getting in my way while I am placing stones etc back if they have been removed for a scrub

But we seem to have an understanding now that when I am doing somthing one end it's best if they move to the other end! In which case I can leave them be

Tags
metabolic bone disease , sick turtle , starving , urgent , yellow bellied slider