Please help! Sick baby yellow bellied slider turtle/urgent may be metabolic bone d. - Page 6 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 17-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Regular

I have never seen him eat. Ever. and I've had him about 3 weeks. When I feed the other one he doesn't even move off the basking platform. He now hardly opens his eyes. This is a newer delevopment. He sits and baskis with eyes closed. Sometimes he gets off to soak. But mostly just on the edge of the platform that is slanted in the water. I literally have to put him in the water when I feed them then he either just sits there or swims back to basking platform and totally ignores the food. I honestly don't know how he is living! I really just want to take him in and get her opinion, I don't know if I can leave him there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Regular

And he was apparently sick when I got him, be because he's never acted any different.
Old 17-05-2013, 04:56 PM

As it is now three weeks (!) then he will not improve so it is now urgently a case for a vet's visit.

If he was ill from day one did you choose him from a selection of turtles the shop had or did they pick him out for you.

Obviously with such different advice now being given by the shop to what we have suggested (although I know who is correct) there is not a lot more to add except as you are in the USA perhaps you and her could take a look at Austin's Turtle Page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Super Citizen

I'm sorry but you shouldn't be keeping animals.. your giving us a running commentary on the demise and ultimately (I feel) the death of an animal, you have been made aware that its ill, yet you do nothing. You are just simply documenting your negligence and inability to do what is necessary.

Why are you still here giving us pointless updates if you are not taking the good and proper advice of the members. It doesnt matter what you do with temperatures and lighting . GO TO THE VETS

Im no animal rights freak, and having no money happens, but should one of my pets fall ill and If cant remedy it..I deal with the situation as necessary and worry about the cost later on

Member - Surrey Reptile and Amphibian Society - FBH Affilated

Last edited by calibre; 17-05-2013 at 05:40 PM..
Old 17-05-2013, 05:44 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

If I were you I would take it the vets and sign it over to them, at least then he'll get the proper care he deserves.

And whilst we're at it, sell the others and the equipment, and don't buy anymore animals until you can afford vets bills.
Old 18-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Regular

He shows signs of improvement. I've done something right. Most vets here want cash on hand for visits. Especially if your first time visit.
Old 18-05-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennvixen View Post
He shows signs of improvement. I've done something right. Most vets here want cash on hand for visits. Especially if your first time visit.
How is he improving?

Did you keep the temperatures high or feed something different?

It would be helpful to let us know.
nikkikenney likes this.
Old 19-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennvixen View Post
I doubt it

Old 21-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Super Citizen

Is the turt still in the land of the living then?

Posted from Reptileforums.co.uk App for Android

Tags
metabolic bone disease , sick turtle , starving , urgent , yellow bellied slider