Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/shelled-turtles-tortoise/)
-   -   Please help! Sick baby yellow bellied slider turtle/urgent may be metabolic bone d. (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/shelled-turtles-tortoise/959822-please-help-sick-baby-yellow.html)

Jennvixen 12-05-2013 08:00 AM

Please help! Sick baby yellow bellied slider turtle/urgent may be metabolic bone d.

baby yellow bellied slider turtle,since I got him he hasn't eaten anything seems lethargic, He came with a "lagoon" type tank. Within a week i realized doing research on the turtle he needed uvb and uva lighting. Got 10 gal. tank, tank heater. Everything he needs. Water temp is 80 degrees basking is around 90 and air temp is 78-80. When I got him his shell was really soft around his tail. He is also basking alot. I'm scared it is metabolic bone disease. Is there anything I can do to help him or figure out what is wrong with him. I don't want him to starve to death, he is going on the ledge of basking area in the water. Any tips would be great!

nikkikenney 12-05-2013 10:59 AM

How long have you had him? He may still be settling in to his new surroundings especially as he has just been moved to a new tank. They can get nervous at first and not eat too well.
Does he swim well? When you say basking all the time is he completely coming out of the water all the time or just lurking around the edge? Nervous turtles will not always bask completely out of the water.
I am not an expert on sliders (I keep Maps and Musks) but I think I read somewhere that when turtles are hatchlings parts of their shell can seem softer until they develop. (Expert opinion needed) so I am hoping you have nothing to worry about on the shell issue.
The tank set up seems ok for a hatchling. I think it is nerves preventing usual behaviour.
When my maps were hatchlings one of them took to it's new enviroment straight away, basking, swimming, eating a lot. The other was much more skittish and still is to this day.
What are you attempting to feed? Do you have a tank filter?
I don't suppose there is a chance of posting pics?
Keeping my fingers crossed for your little one and hopefully an expert will be a long to help too.

Shellsfeathers&fur 12-05-2013 11:06 AM

As above really, and their shells do appear to be soft when hatchlings.

How old is the turtle and how long have you had him?

The temperatures would seem to be ok, but as he is basking a lot can you see any mucus around his face and is he gasping/opening his mouth a lot at all?

Pictures of your setup would be good so we can help/advise further.

What are you feeding him?

(NB although I have said he at a young age there is no way of telling!)

Are you aware that if the turtle is female she will reach 12"+ and need a large indoor tank/pond and preferably an outdoor summer one.

supatips 12-05-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennvixen (Post 11199822)
baby yellow bellied slider turtle,since I got him he hasn't eaten anything seems lethargic, He came with a "lagoon" type tank. Within a week i realized doing research on the turtle he needed uvb and uva lighting. Got 10 gal. tank, tank heater. Everything he needs. Water temp is 80 degrees basking is around 90 and air temp is 78-80. When I got him his shell was really soft around his tail. He is also basking alot. I'm scared it is metabolic bone disease. Is there anything I can do to help him or figure out what is wrong with him. I don't want him to starve to death, he is going on the ledge of basking area in the water. Any tips would be great!

You can possibly attribute the not eating to him getting used to his new surroundings

I have just taken on a YBS (he is about the size of a 50p) and at the moment he is a little skittish but I am putting it down to his previous care and the change of habitat and I am sure within a couple of weeks he will settle down

calibre 12-05-2013 12:58 PM

As stephen P says...Keep an eye out for mucus, discharge around mouth, nose, eyes. The lethargy and excessive basking can be a sign of a respiratory infection and in hatchling turts is a lot of the time fatal. Also look out for gasping, unbalanced/ lopsided swimming, glazed un-alert (not bright)eyes, and laying head on basking platform for long periods.

People usually recommend to increase both water and basking temperatures by 1 or 2 degrees C to help the turts immune system kick in.

After a few days, if you see no improvements..Its a trip to a speciatist exotics vet for a course of forzum, baytril or the likes. Expect to self administer injections if this is to happen (they will talk you through it).

As these guys say, dont worry about the softer portion of the shell at hatchling stage. Its normal.

Jennvixen 12-05-2013 05:18 PM

I want to start of by saying thank you to everyone that cared enough to post a reply! Thanks so much. I got Sheldon about 2 weeks ago. He's not swimming a lot more floating on the surface, not sideways or anything just on his belly he doesn't really dive, but does go on the edge of his floating basking platform were there is a slope into the water, sometimes he will put his head under and last night actually got off and swam behind in sleeping on one of the plants in the water. Like I said he's not eating anything. I have a variety of foods that include natural zoomed aquatic turtle food hatchling formula, reptomin baby floating sticks and I try turtle dried whole shrimp treat. He won't eat at although my other is eating all. I've tried strawberries and dog food. I do have a filter. A tetra whisper 10i that says its good for up to 10 gallons. He doesn't run away or into the water like the healthy one, I am going to post some pics of him and his set up. I also have a couple feeder fish for looks and I understand they won't eat fish for some time. He doesn't seem to be gasping or struggling for air, but doesn't move much. When I took them outside yesterday he was moving just as fast as my healthy one! No discharge as far as I can tell but is larthigic with that soft spot near tail and won't get into the water most of the time.

zekee 12-05-2013 05:19 PM

Try earthworms, the wriggling may entice it to eat.

Jennvixen 12-05-2013 05:25 PM

I am going to post pics here in a few minutes! Thanks!

Jennvixen 12-05-2013 11:50 PM

Posting a pic

How do i post a pic on this thread to make sure I'm doing it right?

sue25muskturtle 13-05-2013 12:34 AM

Most upload their pics into photobucket and then copy the image tag I think it is into this message area which then shows the image.