Musk in with a Yellow Bellied Slider.. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 22-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Raych
Default Musk in with a Yellow Bellied Slider..

Hi guys, came across a gumtree add, got a soft spot for Musk's and been thinking of getting some of my own (last ones we got in 2011 were part of the small animal rescue I run).

I've been told the lil 3inch guy is being kept with a 6inch female yellow bellied slider. I don't think that she is an appropriate tank mate, am I right? Or just stressing?

The plan is either taking both and finding a home for the female slider, or just taking the musk turtle. Are they safe together for now or should I seek to get the musk asap?

And how would I go about introducing him a lady friend in the future? (I hate solitary animals)
1.1.1 Fire Bellied Toad (Goblin, Pixie & Fae)
1.0.1 hooman children (James and Bump)
1.0.0 hooman slave (Kevin/Hubby)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raych View Post
Hi guys, came across a gumtree add, got a soft spot for Musk's and been thinking of getting some of my own (last ones we got in 2011 were part of the small animal rescue I run).

I've been told the lil 3inch guy is being kept with a 6inch female yellow bellied slider. I don't think that she is an appropriate tank mate, am I right? Or just stressing?

The plan is either taking both and finding a home for the female slider, or just taking the musk turtle. Are they safe together for now or should I seek to get the musk asap?

And how would I go about introducing him a lady friend in the future? (I hate solitary animals)
To be honest I don't think they should be kept together at all musks are bottom walkers that need shallower water than sliders that are swimmners that require deeper water. So basically you would be making compromises to the setup that would always favor one specie over the over

Bear in mind there are lots of sliders looking for homes so if you took them both on with the intention of rehoming the slider you may end up stuck with it

I really would not reccomend introducing a female to a male musk as he will constantly pester her to mate the only way it would really work is a big enclosure and 3-4 females and one male so that his amorous intentions would not be directed to one lone female

As a rule turtles are solitary creatures

Is the musk in the add definatley male?
Old 22-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Forum Citizen

I have a small tank I could move him into temporarily whilst getting a larger one. Think it will be just taking him on.

I'm not sure if it's a definite on his gender. I don't mind adding 2/3 females. What size tank would I need for that please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
I have a small tank I could move him into temporarily whilst getting a larger one. Think it will be just taking him on.

I'm not sure if it's a definite on his gender. I don't mind adding 2/3 females. What size tank would I need for that please?
I honestly don't know of the minimum size tank you would need for 3-4 turtles

I always treat my musks the same as my tortoises with regards to setup they need a big floor space so really it would be as big as you could manage

Zekee has a website HOME you should really take a look at that for an exact answer

Is it a common musk in the add or does it just say musk

I would imagine it would probably be a common musk and they get around 4 inches fully grown or possibly a razorback that would possibly get a little bit bigger

Have you kept turtles before?
Old 22-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Forum Citizen

He's been advertised as a Californian Musk Terrapin.
Here's a photo

I've kept two musks for two months before, that is it.
Old 22-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
He's been advertised as a Californian Musk Terrapin.
Here's a photo

I've kept two musks for two months before, that is it.
To be honest it looks most like a common musk

I have never actually heard of a californian musk before but I do know that musks are found there but how you would pinpoint that turtle is from california for definate I would not know

I have read that musks can have slightly different coloured shells depending on their location in the wild but how you would be able to differentiate a presumably captive bred turtle in this way I would not know

One of the more experienced keepers on here may be able to explain and possibly tell me it is not a common musk

My guess is that the person selling it was probably sold it as a californian musk as it sounds more glamorous than common/stinkpot

As I said Zekee has a good website and feel free to ask as many questions as you need as there are plenty of experienced keepers on here that know way more than I do!
Raych likes this.
Old 22-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Forum Citizen

Thank you, I'm having a good read of their website.
supatips likes this.
Old 22-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Forum Citizen

Just a few questions, it's been two years since I had these in my house.

1) how deep should his water be?

2) what lights do I need? would normal clip on light fittings from asda be okay to put bulbs in?

3) I like the sand and pebbles substrate, are there any plants good for them I can add in.
Old 22-06-2013, 06:23 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Just a few questions, it's been two years since I had these in my house.

1) how deep should his water be?

2) what lights do I need? would normal clip on light fittings from asda be okay to put bulbs in?

3) I like the sand and pebbles substrate, are there any plants good for them I can add in.
1) All of my musks (except the giants) are kept in water between 6-8 inches, Obviously lower for younger animals, all enclosures have ample structures breaking the waters surface for them to clamber up.

2) For the heat bulb, you really do need a ceramic one, as plastic ones will melt, look at ones designed for poultry, these are near enough the same as reptile ones but a damn lot cheaper. You need a uv source and a heat source, i cannot recommend the Arcadia T5's highly enough.

3) Moss, elodea, duckweed, moss balls amongst others.
Raych likes this.
Old 22-06-2013, 06:58 PM
5 Star Member

Also, the animal pictured is a Sternotherus odoratus - Common musk turtle.
Raych likes this.

Tags
musk , turtle , yellow bellied slider