I sent her out for fish, she came back with turtles!.... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 18-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Egg
Default I sent her out for fish, she came back with turtles!....

So, I had a little money spare one day and thought it a good idea to send the wifey out while I was at work to buy an aquarium and fish that I longed for.
I came home all excited, walked into the living room to see my wife looking rather sheepish and the weirdest looking fish I had ever seen! She had in fact bought 2 tiny yellow bellied sliders and a two foot tank.

That was two years ago. Since then we have acquired a few more rescued turtles, 3 leopard geckos, a marginated tortoise as well as a blue fronted amazon parrot....so you could say it sparked a passion I didn't know I had!

Anyway, my reason for the post is this. When my wife bought everything, the shopkeeper gave her care information that was, well, completely opposite to what we now know to be correct. I'd like to show the mistakes we made and how we overcame them. I'm no expert, far from it and I probably still make countless mistakes but the care of my animals has always come first.

How the hell can shops still sell YBS'?!
JoPwerks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Ultra Citizen

Unfortunately YBS, River Cooters and some rather large softshell species are frequently offered for sale, as shops can order them in for cheap, and sell them very easily.

There are a number of respectable shops now offering only smaller species such as Musks and Reeve's turtles, which are more suited to indoor aquaria. However, like any business, there are bad examples which are purely money-motivated.

Best,
Paul
Old 18-07-2013, 02:27 PM

A good question!

I think we have all (possibly not actually all) made the same mistake. We bought two cute .50p sized green turtles and were told they would not get big and were not those terrapin things.

Within a matter of months they had outgrown two tanks.

The rest, as they say, is history - we have numerous turtles of varying species housed in outdoor ponds for the summer and then an indoor pond and several tanks over winter.

We have taken in several rescue turtles. Those original .50p sized ones turned out to be both females and one is now about 10" and is a big hefty girl!

At least you realised what was needed and took appropriate action. Sadly, you see so many on here, Preloved, Gumtree etc not to mention eBay (despite not being allowed). Most of these poor animals are being kept in horrendous conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Gold Star Member

It frustrates me that pet shops will sell larger turtles such as sliders without giving any warning that they get big and can do so rapidly.

I was lucky that the aquatics centre where I bought my musks from not only kept them appropriately they also had the rough size you could expect them to grow too. This went for all the fish too. A little thing like that can go a long way to helping people buy what they can house and not end up lumbered with a behemoth that they can not house properly or indeed want.

I think these days with the internet and all the information available in literally seconds there is no excuse for shops to be giving out poor advice or indeed lack even the basic knowledge of the animals they sell because there will always be people that take what they say as gospel and not think to do any research themselves. Obviously years ago the information was not quite so available.

I would like to see turtles/tortoises (all animals really) sold only by people who know the animals and can advise people properly. Instead of flogging a couple of 50p sized sliders and a tiny tank without thinking about the consequences or a med tortoise in a vivarium.

If somewhere wants to sell somthing they should know all about what they are selling.

I also think it's getting to the point where the trade of turtles probably want monitoring or somthing along the lines of how it is with certain species of tortoise. When someone can wander into a petshop and emerge from it with a highly aggressive turtle and no idea of how to care for it I think somthing needs doing.

Sorry I think I stared to get a little angry there it's not directed at anyone.
Dee_Williams likes this.

Last edited by supatips; 18-07-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Old 22-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Forum Citizen

I know someone whose partner bought her 2 YBS for a christmas present, at the time i told them bad idea! etc etc, but alas they were adament that the man in the pet store told them they were small and would not grow much bigger.

Also told them that boys grow bigger than girls, of which she still thinks is true.

They are now massive and still growing and not sure what she will do when they get bigger as she doesnt have a garden!

also not sure they are particularily healthy, ive seen them and they look like they need to shed, and the skirt of their shells is very jagged like little triangles sticking out all the way round. Unfortunately I wasnt able to get a photo, will try to though next time im there.

Just annoys me that pet shops are unresponsible, I saw one recently that had musks, sliders and another species all in the same tank saying they were good companions for each other, im not a turt expert, but im quite sure thats not right.
Old 22-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davuu View Post
I know someone whose partner bought her 2 YBS for a christmas present, at the time i told them bad idea! etc etc, but alas they were adament that the man in the pet store told them they were small and would not grow much bigger.

Also told them that boys grow bigger than girls, of which she still thinks is true.

They are now massive and still growing and not sure what she will do when they get bigger as she doesnt have a garden!

also not sure they are particularily healthy, ive seen them and they look like they need to shed, and the skirt of their shells is very jagged like little triangles sticking out all the way round. Unfortunately I wasnt able to get a photo, will try to though next time im there.

Just annoys me that pet shops are unresponsible, I saw one recently that had musks, sliders and another species all in the same tank saying they were good companions for each other, im not a turt expert, but im quite sure thats not right.
No they should not be kept together really

Musks are shallow water bottom walking turts that as adults won't require much above 6-7 inches of water

Sliders on the other hand are swimmers that like deep water.

Keeping them together would mean a comprimise that would always favor one species over the other.
Old 23-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Egg

It's something that has really been making me angry since being made aware of it. The shop that sold my partner our YBS has overcrowded tanks full of them, none of which look healthy. When we returned a few weeks later to let them know that the information they gave us was completely wrong, we were met with a 'well we've never had any problems before' kinda response.
There is another pet store nearby that is the complete opposite. They don't sell sliders, always give you accurate information and advice and wouldn't even consider selling you a fish until you've brought a sample of your aquarium water. This is how it should be!
Old 23-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Egg

The two shops I use in south Wales with confidence are Zoars ark and reggae reptiles, both in Neath.
Old 23-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supatips View Post
No they should not be kept together really

Musks are shallow water bottom walking turts that as adults won't require much above 6-7 inches of water

Sliders on the other hand are swimmers that like deep water.

Keeping them together would mean a comprimise that would always favor one species over the other.
sorry guys but i keep seeing this come up , musk turtles are perfectly well adapted to much deeper water then 6 inches , infact mine is currently in 24 inch deep water and is perfectly happy , as long as they have places to rest they are fine , sorry for the rant
Old 23-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreys View Post
sorry guys but i keep seeing this come up , musk turtles are perfectly well adapted to much deeper water then 6 inches , infact mine is currently in 24 inch deep water and is perfectly happy , as long as they have places to rest they are fine , sorry for the rant
They are found in deep water in the wild. I would imagine yours are possibly fully grown too.

For musks unless you are reffering to the giant musks that are around I was always told by plenty of experienced keepers on here that due to the fact they are not terribly good swimmers compared with somthing such as a slider they are fine in water that is no deeper than around 6-7 inches deep. I would also agree with you with regards to having deeper water providing you set the tank up correctly for them.

The problem with a new keeper putting a musk in deep water like that is that they might just put a floating dock in the tank and be done with it, which as odd as it sounds could be an issue for a turtle like a musk to get to the top to get air as it takes them a lot more effort to swim compared with somthing like a slider. People find my musks odd as they are used to seeing the far more graceful effortless swimming of a slider compared with my musks paddling almost like a dog would in water!

My other concern with the water level is access to the surface so they can breath. I would presume you perhaps have a peice of wood that extends from the bottom to the surface to allow easy access for them to get air? That is somthing some keepers do so they can have slightly deeper water.

They are a bottom walking turtle that needs floor space more than deep water was the information I was given when I was researching before I got them. I got this information from various sources while reading up on them . My musks generally clamber, climb and walk as opposed to swim.

Some people do mix speices that occur together in the wild again some have no issues at all while some do have aggression problems. My slider is about the same size as my musks but I would not consider introducing him as I have no doubt my musks would injure or possibly kill him in an aquarium enviromnent. I do not keep turtles in ponds yet so I can't comment about mixing species in that enviroment.

With regards to setups within reason I don't think there are any right or wrong answers. I can only advise on what I know and practice as a musk turtle keeper. It's up to people with their various ways of creating a habitat to pass their information on and allow the reader to make their own minds up about what they would like to do.

I would like to see a picture of your setup if possible.

No need to appologise for giving your oppinion mate.

Last edited by supatips; 23-07-2013 at 06:11 PM..

Tags
yellow bellied slider