Help plz - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 24-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Regular
Default Help plz

Hi there my sister is looking to buy a tortoise and has asked me to find out what kind of tortoise doesn't hibernate and stays at a small to medium size?

Any help would be gd thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Ultra Citizen

How much space have you got?
How much are you prepared to spend on initial tortoise costs?
Have you got any experience with reptiles before?
Would you prefer a forest-humid loving, omnivore eating fruit as well as weeds-, or grassland-eats just grass and weeds and flowers, stays relatively dry minus humid hides- tortoise?
Non-hibernating species would include leopards, red foots, hingebacks, yellow foots, radiateds, pancakes and elongateds as well as many less common species. Please do not get a sulcata or aladabra, they get enormous.
If you have the space your best bet would be to go for leopards or red foots as they are the two species which are easiest for the beginner out of that list and available CB all the time.
“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”
Keeping Tortoises, Snails, Rabbits and a dog among other things.
Old 24-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Regular

[QUOTE=FLINTUS;11385353]How much space have you got?
How much are you prepared to spend on initial tortoise costs?
Have you got any experience with reptiles before?
Would you prefer a forest-humid loving, omnivore eating fruit as well as weeds-, or grassland-eats just grass and weeds and flowers, stays relatively dry minus humid hides- tortoise?
Non-hibernating species would include leopards, red foots, hingebacks, yellow foots, radiateds, pancakes and elongateds as well as many less common species. Please do not get a sulcata or aladabra, they get enormous.
If you have the space your best bet would be to go for leopards or red foots as they are the two species which are easiest for the beginner out of that list and available CB all the time.[/QUOTE

It's for my sister, she has 2 bearded dragons and a corn snake so far,she's on holiday and asked me to do a bit of research for her

One that stays relatively dry with humid hides is what she will be looking for?

She has a spare 4x2x2 viv in the house but this is just early stages to find out what's best for her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteele1984 View Post
Hi there my sister is looking to buy a tortoise and has asked me to find out what kind of tortoise doesn't hibernate and stays at a small to medium size?

Any help would be gd thanks
There are no small non hibernating species commonly kept I am afraid. All grow to beyond 12inchs in length.
Depends on what you call small to medium
Old 24-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepixie View Post
There are no small non hibernating species commonly kept I am afraid. All grow to beyond 12inchs in length.
Depends on what you call small to medium
Indian stars are quite small in comparison with some species aren't they and don't they stay awake all year round?

I don't know much about them other than they can be quite expensive.

Last edited by supatips; 24-07-2013 at 04:15 PM..
Old 24-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supatips View Post
Indian stars are quite small in comparison with some species aren't they and don't they stay awake all year round?

I don't know much about them other than they can be quite expensive.
Not the stars I have seen, they have been at least 12inchs in length. Like all species they can vary greatly in size, hence saying no really commonly kept.
Having said that pancake tortoises are reasonably.
But both stars and pancake torts you really need to know what you are doing with them as the are not really hardy torts.
supatips likes this.
Old 24-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Regular

Quote:
Not the stars I have seen, they have been at least 12inchs in length. Like all species they can vary greatly in size, hence saying no really commonly kept.
But both stars and pancake torts you really need to know what you are doing with them as the are not really hardy torts.
Cool thanks for the reply

What is subtle for a 4x2x2 viv and is relitevly dry with humid hides?

Thanks
Old 24-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteele1984 View Post
Cool thanks for the reply

What is subtle for a 4x2x2 viv and is relitevly dry with humid hides?

Thanks
I wouldn't put anything other than a tropical tortoise in a vivarium to be honest. A viv that size would also require upgrading as any potential inhabitant got bigger.

Torts like to roam.
Old 24-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supatips View Post
I wouldn't put anything other than a tropical tortoise in a vivarium to be honest. A viv that size would also require upgrading as any potential inhabitant got bigger.

Torts like to roam.

Cool thanks you your help,I will pass on the info
Old 24-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Totally agree with you with regards to them not being beginner torts. I need to read up on tropical tortoises I think as there are some serious gaps in my knowledge of them.

Tags
tortoise