Tortoise tables and cats - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 19-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to ELZ1985
Default Tortoise tables and cats

Hi everyone,

I posted a tread just after Kempton to start my research into tortoises and I have narrowed down to either a hermann or a spur-thigh.

From my reading it would seem both of these species are suited to being kept in a tortoise table type setup. I have a cat and would need to prevent him from getting in and bothering the tortoise/burning himself on the light. Has anybody made a cat proof tortoise table with some sort of wire box lid? Or another suggestion as to what I might do? Photos would be appreciated.

As an aside, what size table would I need for each of the above species? "tortoise table" sounds like a generic term to me, like vivarium, but I imagine they come in different sizes and id like to know the best size for getting the right gradient.

Thank you,

>^..^< Lizard

0.0.1 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia Mephisto
0.1.1 Correlophus ciliatus Gluon & Hugh
0.1 Python bivittatus progschai Malevolence
0.1 Lamprophis fuliginosus Ariadne ~ 1.0 Lampropeltis alterna Luca ~ 1.1 Pantherophis guttatus guttatus Fabian & Deadeye
0.1 Epicrates cenchria maurus Medessa
2.2 Boa constrictor imperator Batou, Demaskus, Ninja & Isis
1.5 Rattus norvegicus Guy, Henrietta, Alice, Coffee, Panzer & Clementine
1.0 Felis domesticus Malakai
2 Achatina fulica "Mothra" & "Janice" ~ 2 Achatina fulica jadatzi "Steve" & "Buttercup"

Soon to Arrive:
~

Wanted:
dasypeltis atra

For Sale:
Various boas and python

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELZ1985 View Post
Hi everyone,

I posted a tread just after Kempton to start my research into tortoises and I have narrowed down to either a hermann or a spur-thigh.

From my reading it would seem both of these species are suited to being kept in a tortoise table type setup. I have a cat and would need to prevent him from getting in and bothering the tortoise/burning himself on the light. Has anybody made a cat proof tortoise table with some sort of wire box lid? Or another suggestion as to what I might do? Photos would be appreciated.

As an aside, what size table would I need for each of the above species? "tortoise table" sounds like a generic term to me, like vivarium, but I imagine they come in different sizes and id like to know the best size for getting the right gradient.

Thank you,

>^..^< Lizard
Tortoise table size is generally the bigger the better obviously you would need to play around with your lighting/heating setup to achieve the correct temprature gradient but I would consider that difficult to answer as it would basically boil down to the ambient room temprature and your combination of lighting and basking bulbs. I am sure a more experienced keeper than me can lend far more assistance on that front!

A tortoise table is basically anything with four walls and a bottom do you have an old bookcase at home doing nothing. I have seen wardrobes and pool tables converted as well as the aformentioned bookcase. Lots of things can be put to use as a table to be honest.

Some people do put wire mesh tops on their tables to stop cats. I don't have a cat so I can't really help with cat proofing a tort table.

I have never heard of a cat attacking a tortoise personally but that does not mean it has never happened but I have been informed that a big problem would be the cat hogging the basking bulb. Dogs do attack tortoises and sometimes kill them so if you have a dog also I would strongly advise against giving him access to the tortoise no matter how friendly the dog is.
ELZ1985 likes this.
Old 19-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Gold Star Member

What you want is one of those indoor rabbit cages. Makes attaching lights easy and comes with a wire top and still open exactly like a table. Something like this

http://www.tortoise-protection-group...202_Darren.jpg
ELZ1985 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
What you want is one of those indoor rabbit cages. Makes attaching lights easy and comes with a wire top and still open exactly like a table. Something like this

http://www.tortoise-protection-group...202_Darren.jpg
Good call

It would suit a hatchling for a little while but I don't know if you could get a big enough one for a tort as it gets bigger.
Old 19-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supatips View Post
Good call

It would suit a hatchling for a little while but I don't know if you could get a big enough one for a tort as it gets bigger.
I have a 4 feet long, 2 feet deep one that houses my 14 year old female when she is not outdoors. Not sure if you can get bigger but they do their job well. The trays are quite deep too.
Old 19-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
I have a 4 feet long, 2 feet deep one that houses my 14 year old female when she is not outdoors. Not sure if you can get bigger but they do their job well. The trays are quite deep too.
It would depend on the size of the tort how big is yours?
Old 19-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supatips View Post
It would depend on the size of the tort how big is yours?
About 8 inches in length I would say but she only comes in from about 8 in the evening and is back out at about 9 in the morning for the day. It just stops any foxes getting her that come into the garden.
supatips likes this.
Old 19-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
About 8 inches in length I would say but she only comes in from about 8 in the evening and is back out at about 9 in the morning for the day. It just stops any foxes getting her that come into the garden.
It's only really like a bedroom for the tort then. If she was housed in it all day I would say it would probably want to be a tad bigger but as somewhere just to keep her safe at night it is a great idea (I have trouble with foxes where I am too)
Bradley likes this.
Old 20-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Super Citizen

Hi would recommend a Hermman's Tortoise but that's just my opinion.

You are right in thinking they live better in table rather than a viv, I have a table with a wire mesh lid on it but mine was to keep my little brother out LoL. Mine has a hinged lid with a wooden outline and wire mesh in between with wholes for the light bulbs. I would recommend building a 5 x 5 table with a lid it is quite easy. They should only be kept in this when it is too cold to be outside or during the night. During the summer they should be kept safely outside.

Sorry I don't have pics at the moment but might be able to get some at a later date
Hope this helps
CB13 0.0.1 Normal Bearded Dragon "Uluru"
WC14 0.0.1 Garden Snail "SnailBob"