Reptile Forums banner

Carpet Python gets the Volly treatment

5K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Kimora 
#1 ·
I got to meet the man himself at last on Tuesday, collected my new arboreal viv for my CCP. I'm very happy with it (as usual) he's done a great job, again pandering to my whims and my very specific requirements :lol2:

So, since then i've been very busy...

The viv

Ceramic installed and guarded

Making sure it works (well, I did wire it up myself!)

Time to stat it (Microclimate Pulse B2 is my usual weapon of choice)

Then the fun bit!

The bamboo canes are £8.50 each from B&Q, and I used the little screwy things that you put under the legs of worktops to attach them to the viv, £2.50 each, in case anyone else wants to get creative!

And the star of the show

And as you can see, it's in keeping with the 'theme' of my front room mini-zoo, here's my other Volly masterpiece

As for the carpet viv, I just need to find somewhere local and cheap to get a load of fake foliage from, a few more hides, and it's ready to go as soon as she's big enough for it.

I don't want it to be a 'picture' thread, so any comments/suggestions about the viv please contribute : victory:

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice :) My CP and corn should be getting the Volly treatment very soon...can't wait :flrt:

I got foilage at a local flower stall at £1.50 a stem, and from ebay then i am going to be using flower pots while she's still growing as hides :2thumb:

edited to add: i also have a couple of finch breeding boxes to provide off the ground hide's as i want to see how she gets on with them :)

#6 ·
Agreed, dunelm mill is cheap for plants :) nice viv, what are the dimensions? I like the bamboo branches, they look nice and sturdy.

You might want to put a shelf in there for when she/he's bigger? Mine prefer sitting on a flat wooden platform now they're big rather than the branches they loved when they were worms. Also a couple more hides? cork bark works well and if you prop it up against the wall they can use it as a branch as well :2thumb: is this for the fussy eater? Are you putting the snake in immediately or is this for later?

I'm just waiting for my stack from Volly then my babies can get the same treatment ;P can't wait!

#18 ·
I'll paste what i sent CharD then :lol2:

She use's it a lot, its favored over the others. when i brought the hut the lid was attached, i sniped it and used a cable tie to on one side to re attach, making it accessable from the top. Only found them in a small size coupled with the cleaning aspect, i wouldn't advise them if your snake likes to sleep in poo
I liked these boxes from ebay due to the half open front, limiting Montana getting stuck. I've just asked the OH to remove the last of the front on one box to trial a hinge on it making it easy to get if i have too (the thread made me brain wave hehe). they were £1.50 each on ebay so i thought it was worth a shout If it works out, then i'll make my own bigger ones as she grow's as plywood is cheap as chips

#22 ·
Hope so. Just need her to be too fat to fit through the vivs doors then I'll be happy!

#24 ·
Oh and Dunelm mill is a chain store :2thumb:

Are the leg holder things you use also from B&Q? I was looking for some of those ages ago but didn't find any. I'm pretty sure I made a bad job of describing them to the guy helping me out though so that probably didn't help. They look like the screw in?
Yeah they screw in at one end, the other end has an extendable leg like what you have under fridges etc, but obviously that just slots inside the bamboo. They're from B&Q too, wait I'll look for a link...

Edit: Here they are http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware...re-Leg-L115XV-Black-H150mm-x-32mm-Dia-9282000

And the bamboo http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/fenci...e-Brown-L-1-8-x-W-0-06m-9426462?skuId=9717167

#29 ·
Woo I went to Dunelm Mill!

Bargain, less than £12 for all this...

And the vine-type things were doubled up as well, so they were twice as long as they looked.

Put some in...

And i've still got loads left, gonna stick some in the boa and royal vivs tomorrow.

Sneaky pic of the carpet while I had the camera out

#30 ·
Woo I went to Dunelm Mill!

Bargain, less than £12 for all this...

And the vine-type things were doubled up as well, so they were twice as long as they looked.

Put some in...

And i've still got loads left, gonna stick some in the boa and royal vivs tomorrow.

Sneaky pic of the carpet while I had the camera out

Looks wicked! I love the ivy from there, I bought a load of pretty flowers too but it all gets trashed in my adult cp viv - only the ivy survives their nighttime strolls :lol2:

Thanks for the links, those feet look great for holding branches up!

#32 ·
Inspiring!

One question though - as I'm setting up my own CP viv soon - What do you do about keeping it warm at night for your CP? I was thinking about ordering Habistat day/night stats, but do you have another way or are you just letting it drop to the room temp?

#33 ·
Inspiring!

One question though - as I'm setting up my own CP viv soon - What do you do about keeping it warm at night for your CP? I was thinking about ordering Habistat day/night stats, but do you have another way or are you just letting it drop to the room temp?
Funnily enough, she moved in earlier this month (while RFUK was down lol), I haven't been doing night-time drops, I was advised by much more experienced keepers than myself not to drop at night for the first couple of years of their life. Mine's set to a constant 26C with a pulse- BECAUSE - the stat/thermometer probe are some distance away from the bulb, and knowing how ceramic heaters work I know that closer to the bulb, the temperature is 30-32C. I have done this because the little witch likes to hang from wires, and when she's heavier she'd pull them down. I've had to secure them to the back wall, which is a good few inches away from the bulb.

Here she is;

#34 ·
Ahh we'll that makes a lot of sense. I have no idea which stat to choose now though haha. I suppose for the sake of £10 more I should just get day/night ones so I always have a choice depending on what breeding methods I can try. I now remember hearing that the constant temps can be fine though yeah :)

#35 ·
I'm not sure those 'magic eye' things work very well in all situations, they have a light sensing dubbins-majig that tells it when to drop the heat, so depends where your viv is to how well it works. Ask some other people who use them first :)

#36 ·
Ahh it's not a light sensing one - you attach it to a timer as far as I understand. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.