Would my viv size be ok? (Dum and common boa, blood python) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 27-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Super Citizen
Default Would my viv size be ok? (Dum and common boa, blood python)

I'm really starting to run out of space for my snakes, so trying to think up a rub rack/viv stack idea.

Basically I'm planning on building 3 vivs with a rub rack on top, and not to go into the finer details, the vivs would be 48(l)x32(d)x15(h)". The height is not set in stone.

The vivs would eventually occupy a male Dumeril's boa, a female blood python, and I plan on acquiring a male common for the last viv.

My main questions are whether 15" would be high enough, and whether 32" deep would make it a struggle to access the snakes or clean?

Thanks in advance
3.4 Royal Pythons
1.0 Dumeril's Boa
1.1 Common Boas
0.1 Blood Python
0.1 Corn Snake
0.1 Hermann's Tortoise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Ultra Citizen

That's not much height at all, especially after adding substrate. Boas like to climb.
Also these are heavy bodied snakes, they are pretty chunky. If you're going to use ceramic heating then by the time you add a guard to it its gonna be about 7" gone, leaving just 8" of space under it, less with substrate, possibly 6" with 2" substrate. The snakes won't really be able to get their whole body under the heat. Also the problem of where to put the thermostat probe with such a setup. Personally, I don't like it.
1.1.0. Whites tree frog - Jabba & peaches
0.0.1. Spade Foot Toad - Ace
0.0.1. Giant Asian river toad (Bufo Asper) - Shrek
0.0.1. Gargoyle gecko - Charlie
1.1.0. House Snakes - as yet unnamed
Old 27-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Ultra Citizen

Just read you havent bought the boa yet. If you don't have room to house the all the snakes I would suggest not buying any more, sorry.
1.1.0. Whites tree frog - Jabba & peaches
0.0.1. Spade Foot Toad - Ace
0.0.1. Giant Asian river toad (Bufo Asper) - Shrek
0.0.1. Gargoyle gecko - Charlie
1.1.0. House Snakes - as yet unnamed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB 89 View Post
That's not much height at all, especially after adding substrate. Boas like to climb.
Also these are heavy bodied snakes, they are pretty chunky. If you're going to use ceramic heating then by the time you add a guard to it its gonna be about 7" gone, leaving just 8" of space under it, less with substrate, possibly 6" with 2" substrate. The snakes won't really be able to get their whole body under the heat. Also the problem of where to put the thermostat probe with such a setup. Personally, I don't like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB 89 View Post
Just read you havent bought the boa yet. If you don't have room to house the all the snakes I would suggest not buying any more, sorry.
I wouldn't buy a snake if I didn't think I could house it, it's the only reason I haven't bought a common yet

I do think you're right though, 15 just isn't quite going to be high enough.. Thankfully I have another idea which will work and I'll just end up putting my blood and dum in 4x2s.. Means definitely no common for me though as my viv stack will be up to the ceiling!
3.4 Royal Pythons
1.0 Dumeril's Boa
1.1 Common Boas
0.1 Blood Python
0.1 Corn Snake
0.1 Hermann's Tortoise
Old 28-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Premier Citizen

I would say 18" minimum for the hight, most male common boas would be happy in a 48"x24"x18" viv but you can still get big males so be prepared to need a bigger viv a male Dumerils will be ok in the dimensions you've mentioned as longs you up the hight to 18"?
0.1 albino (Kahl) BCI
1.1 guyana redtail BCC
1.1 Trinidad BCC
Old 28-03-2014, 09:12 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

if you are going to use vivs that are 15inch high, I would suggest that you use reptile radiators as a heat source - they have a very low profile - only a couple of inches and wont eat all the space like a ceramic will.

swell sell them at a very good price http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...tor-26225.html

Old 28-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Postaholic Member

A female blood will need a lot more room then this imo, they can get HEWAGE both length ways and girth ways, plus as mentioned....that is not much height...

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!
Old 28-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan View Post
A female blood will need a lot more room then this imo, they can get HEWAGE both length ways and girth ways, plus as mentioned....that is not much height...
Yep agreed, I've seen some monster females and will def need bigger than 4x2, is be looking at 5x3 due to the massive girth they attain. Males would be fine in 4x2.
Old 28-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Super Citizen

Yeh I'm not sure what height to go for..

If I go for 18" it means I will be able fit 5 vivs high in my stack which will enable me to get a common as I can take my geckos out of my viv stack and have a stand alone 2ft stack as well.

If I go for 24" high I won't.. At the end of the day I want what's best for my animals though so if I can't get a common, I won't. No matter how badly I've been wanting one!

Would you guys say 24" high is better then just in case? I've abandoned the 15" high idea and looks like I'm going back to my original plan of putting them in 4x2x2 vivs, I've always been told 4ft would be fine for a blood.

I still have plenty of time to plan this though.. My blood's only a baby and my Dum's still got plenty of room in his 70l rub before he needs a viv.

I would have space for more as my reptiles only take up one small wall in a large study that only gets used by me, but the OH has limited my space allowance I still have space for 5x3 vivs if necessary though, we'll have to see how big she grows first!
3.4 Royal Pythons
1.0 Dumeril's Boa
1.1 Common Boas
0.1 Blood Python
0.1 Corn Snake
0.1 Hermann's Tortoise

Last edited by Michaela93; 28-03-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Tags
vivarium size