What savings ? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 27-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Posting Deity
Default What savings ?

What savings do you get from breeding your own food for snakes ?

How much time is spent looking after the rodents ?

How much is spent on food for them ?

How much is the CO2 ( assuming you gas them ) ?

What do you do over winter ? or are they kept in the house ?

Just interested. I doubt I will ever try doing it again, I tried breeding my own mice some years back but I think I only ever got 1 pinkie mouse out of it... presumably the others got eaten so obviously I didn't have a damn clue what I was doing.

I ended up killing the adults and feeding them to the snakes but I do have to say that they had all grown to be significantly larger than the frozen ones I was buying at the time and hopefully more nutritious because of the food they were being given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-03-2014, 01:03 AM
5 Star Member

My food bill was around 70 a month for the last 6 months thats dropped to around a tenner a month and thats for rat bedding, food, and rabbit food and bedding.
I up the bedding used over winter and add shredded paper in to help with warmth as they are in my shed, takes me 5 minutes in the mornings to feed and water them, same in the afternoons, I dont use co2 so no cost there, takes me half hr twice a week to clean out.
my rats get all our left overs plus whatever the dog or cats haven't eaten, plus fish, veg etc. 2 bags of rat food alongside this lasts me a month.
ratboy likes this.

RIP little pedro.

3 boas - 1.1.0 , 1.1 fire skinks, 2 iggys, 3 boscs 1.2.0,
3 kings - 1.2.0, one female nile, 4 leopard geckos 1.3.0, 5 fish
4 rabbits 4 rats, 6 cats. 11 ferrets, 1 alaskan shepherd, 3 carpet pythons 2.1., 0.0.1 brb , one water dragon 1.0.0, 4 royal pythons 1.1.0, four corn snakes 2.2.0. 2 leos, 1 fire skink,
Old 28-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsi View Post
My food bill was around 70 a month for the last 6 months thats dropped to around a tenner a month and thats for rat bedding, food, and rabbit food and bedding.
I up the bedding used over winter and add shredded paper in to help with warmth as they are in my shed, takes me 5 minutes in the mornings to feed and water them, same in the afternoons, I dont use co2 so no cost there, takes me half hr twice a week to clean out.
my rats get all our left overs plus whatever the dog or cats haven't eaten, plus fish, veg etc. 2 bags of rat food alongside this lasts me a month.
How do you euthanise them then? Or do you feed live? (and is live feeding even legal over here - I'm against it unless it's for the snake's health/life)

P.S. Ratboy, your signature has always stopped my scrolling in it's tracks, makes me have a stare out for quite a while!

0.1.0 L Parahybana, 0.0.1 P Metallica, 0.0.2 B Smithi, 0.0.1 B albopilosum, 0.0.1 B Klaasi, 0.0.1 Cyphonisia sp, 0.0.1 P Murinus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-03-2014, 02:05 AM
5 Star Member

I tried this a few years ago.

However as I'm a huge advocate for massive enclosures for all my animals I spent a fortune on 5ft cages for the rats, a fortune on chicken, veg, high quality rabbit food etc to feed them with...played with them far too much...handled the babies every day and ended up giving them all away as pets as couldn't bring myself to cull them!

I've found the cheapest way to feed my snakes now is to go out and shoot rabbits and pigeons...

...however the license and the gun were about £650 all in so it will take a long while to pay for itself
Old 28-03-2014, 12:22 PM
5 Star Member

No I dont live feed, a quick knock to the base of tge head and its over in literally seconds. Some go straight to the snakes and lizards, or into the freezer for the next feed, ii have 4 lsrge cages and a 6ft old fish tank that I keep them in, one of the cages is only used to grow some on to the sizes I need, csges I got free of freecycle so no cost there either.

my kids have a pet rat each as they fell Ilove with a couple from my first litter, but they are 19 and 20 and know the rest are breeders only and the babies food. They both have their own snakes as well, so saves them money to.
Joddy likes this.

RIP little pedro.

3 boas - 1.1.0 , 1.1 fire skinks, 2 iggys, 3 boscs 1.2.0,
3 kings - 1.2.0, one female nile, 4 leopard geckos 1.3.0, 5 fish
4 rabbits 4 rats, 6 cats. 11 ferrets, 1 alaskan shepherd, 3 carpet pythons 2.1., 0.0.1 brb , one water dragon 1.0.0, 4 royal pythons 1.1.0, four corn snakes 2.2.0. 2 leos, 1 fire skink,
Old 28-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Premier Citizen

I breed multi`s, I euthanize them with co2, bought a bottle from my local pub landlord for £20 it will last me a lot of years. I put a foot of hosepipe on the valve fastened with a jubilee clip, put about 15 to 20 multi`s In a Tupperware box with a hole in the side for the hosepipe and a hole in the top to let the air out. turn the tap on the co2 bottle very slowly as theres a lot of pressure in the bottle, multi`s die in seconds turn the tap off and leave them in the Tupperware box for about another minute then freeze or feed. its very humane and safe imo. that saves me quite a lot of money, and they don't take a lot of time to feed and clean.
ratboy and Joddy like this.
Old 28-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Posting Deity

Hmmmm... Might be worth giving this another bash then but with rats rather than mice.

I'm not sure my wife would be too enamoured with the idea TBH

Tags
grow your own