Carpet Python Not Thermo-regulating - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 06-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Gold Star Member

i assume the tank she was eating in before the move wasn't a glass tank and only the front was open ?

having all the sides open can sometimes make them feel insecure enough not to feed

i would blank off the back and both sides of the glass tank,i use paper and tape

i would also find a way of putting the ceramic bulb and a bulb guard inside the tank

re braining
i use one point of a pair of scissors to puncture the skull 3 or 4 times until grey liquid seeps out

cheers shaun
Joddy likes this.
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermonkey View Post
I'd agree with Mr Morphtastic regarding the exposed viv and covering the 3 sides would be a good start

Is that bulb outside the viv and is it a mesh top on the viv? If it is then again it may be best to cover it with a piece of hardboard from a builders yard/B&Q as having all of that exposure could be stressful for the snake. You'd have to get the bulb inside the viv so a guard would be a good idea
It is a mesh top and I'm covering up the sides ASAP!

0.1.0 L Parahybana, 0.0.1 P Metallica, 0.0.2 B Smithi, 0.0.1 B albopilosum, 0.0.1 B Klaasi, 0.0.1 Cyphonisia sp, 0.0.1 P Murinus
Old 06-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermonkey View Post
I'd agree with Mr Morphtastic regarding the exposed viv and covering the 3 sides would be a good start

Is that bulb outside the viv and is it a mesh top on the viv? If it is then again it may be best to cover it with a piece of hardboard from a builders yard/B&Q as having all of that exposure could be stressful for the snake. You'd have to get the bulb inside the viv so a guard would be a good idea
*cough* Mrs morphtastic *cough*
Joddy likes this.

0.1 Jungle Jag 'Alice'
1.0 Jungle 'Bob'
0.1 CB13 100% Caramel Coastal 'Lara'
0.1 CB13 100% Coastal 'Ripley'

R.I.P 1.0 CB13 100% Coastal Jag 'Jay' sleep well little man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphtastic View Post
*cough* Mrs morphtastic *cough*

...........oops
1.0.0 CB14 Leopard Gecko

All Poss feisty:
All Vis gorgeous
Old 07-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Super Citizen

All the sides have been covered now and I've added more hides, two toilet tubes and a McDonald's cup! Looks like an urbanised habitat!

0.1.0 L Parahybana, 0.0.1 P Metallica, 0.0.2 B Smithi, 0.0.1 B albopilosum, 0.0.1 B Klaasi, 0.0.1 Cyphonisia sp, 0.0.1 P Murinus
Old 08-04-2014, 02:08 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joddy View Post
All the sides have been covered now and I've added more hides, two toilet tubes and a McDonald's cup! Looks like an urbanised habitat!
Cool, let it settle a good 5 or so days before you try feeding it again.

Try getting some small weaners, feed it a t 10pm, turn all the lights off when you do. Super heat it's head before offering it.

If after 5 mins it still isn't all that interested, give the snake a gentle poke/bump with the rat about 1/3 way down it's body from the head. This is a good way of tempting carpets to constrict the prey even if they haven't struck for it.
You should be able to tell if the snake is interested in trying to give it a cuddle or if it's backs off, obviously if the latter happens then quit poking it.
Joddy likes this.

National Reptile Awareness Day
Old 08-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah81 View Post
Cool, let it settle a good 5 or so days before you try feeding it again.

Try getting some small weaners, feed it a t 10pm, turn all the lights off when you do. Super heat it's head before offering it.

If after 5 mins it still isn't all that interested, give the snake a gentle poke/bump with the rat about 1/3 way down it's body from the head. This is a good way of tempting carpets to constrict the prey even if they haven't struck for it.
You should be able to tell if the snake is interested in trying to give it a cuddle or if it's backs off, obviously if the latter happens then quit poking it.
Thank-you, will do!

Tags
carpet python , hide , regulate , temp , thermo