Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

View Poll Results: banned if found guilty
yes 117 87.31%
no 17 12.69%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Forum Citizen
Default A change in RFUK rules

I don't usually post but this issue has really got to me.

If any member is found guilty in a criminal court of animal cruelty should this member be banned.

RFUK powers at be - I see rules and regulations getting changed all the time at work and out side of work, I'm not telling you how to do your job but can you consider this addition to the rules please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Ultra Citizen

Yes definitely. The forum should not be seen to condone animal cruelty!
jarvo likes this.
Old 30-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Super Citizen

I'm in total agreement with this that if someone is found to be guilty said person should be banned
jarvo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Super Citizen

There should also be an 'abstain' option for a clearer view of opinion and position.

Though I can fully understand the disgust of sharing (cyber)space which such a person, there is something to be said for being in a place to be able to monitor their activities, offer encouragement to change (polite or otherwise) or even insist on change, report obvious and provable concerns to authorities and so on.

It's an impossible and deeply saddening situation.

Old 30-04-2014, 01:43 PM
5 Star Member

Yes, animal abuse should be an immediate ban upon conviction. No one wants to be tied with the same brush as someone convicted of abuse and/or neglect. It puts a bad shine on the hobby, and makes us all look worse than what we're already perceived to be in the media and other sources.
Thrasops, KathyM, yardy and 4 others like this.

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

Before buying a royal python containing the spider gene, give this short video a watch. It may well change your mind http://youtu.be/JfTbiZ_dzVM
Old 30-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to NicolaMe

I voted yes. I have refrained from posting in the various threads but that doesnt mean that im not utterly disgusted at so called reptile keepers sticking their middle finger up at us all, when there are so many antis against us anyways
KathyM and jarvo like this.
Old 30-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Regular

If someone is found guilty of animal cruelty then they shouldn't be in the same place as animal lovers.
All it would do is cause unwanted animosity where none needed to exist.
jarvo likes this.
Old 30-04-2014, 01:56 PM
5 Star Member

Life ban end off. This should be a rule already the antis must love this place lol
KathyM and jarvo like this.
Old 30-04-2014, 02:05 PM
5 Star Member

This is an incredably difficult situation, I fully appreciate the sentiments expressed & in no way condone what the guilty party has done, are we saying a life ban or a ban equal to the length of the ban awarded by the court, if a life ban is it justifiable, is it a case of guilty once, condemned for life, whichever who will decide if what the court has decided was fare & correct in any individual case, not just Pauline's.

If for example, somebody goes on holiday having made arrangements for a neighbour to feed thier snake & the neigbour forgets to go round, there's a power cut, snake dies & the snake owner is crucified by the RSPCA & found guilty of animal cruelty despite the arrangements made will he then automatically be banned from the forum for life because the court says they are guilty.

Is all guilt the same, are we saying someone who is misguided/out of their depth etc, etc the same as somebody who say deliberatly kicks seven shades of poo out of their dog because I don't think we are.

I don't know the answer, I just think it's not 100% clear cut, my heart clearly says there should be a ban but my head says not sure ?

EDIT- I'd also say that if I was Pauline the last place I'd go is the forum where my life, failings & subsequent guilt have been so vociferously exposed but then I consider myself a rational person of (relatively) sane mind, perhaps this maybe speaks for the undiagnosed or disclosed mental state of Pauline

More about Aimo www.nosmia.me.uk/

More about Fleams

Last edited by Khonsu; 30-04-2014 at 02:11 PM..
Old 30-04-2014, 02:12 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khonsu View Post
This is an incredably difficult situation, I fully appreciate the sentiments expressed & in no way condone what the guilty party has done, are we saying a life ban or a ban equal to the length of the ban awarded by the court, if a life ban is it justifiable, is it a case of guilty once, condemned for life, whichever who will decide if what the court has decided was fare & correct in any individual case, not just Pauline's.

If for example, somebody goes on holiday having made arrangements for a neighbour to feed thier snake & the neigbour forgets to go round, there's a power cut, snake dies & the snake owner is crucified by the RSPCA & found guilty of animal cruelty despite the arrangements made will he then automatically be banned from the forum for life because the court says they are guilty.

Is all guilt the same, are we saying someone who is misguided/out of their depth etc, etc the same as somebody who say deliberatly kicks seven shades of poo out of their dog because I don't think we are.

I don't know the answer, I just think it's not 100% clear cut, my heart clearly says there should be a ban but my head says not sure.
I get where you're coming from. Things need to be judged on an individual basis, but in Pauline's case, its as clear cut as it gets. She admitted neglect and abuse, and hasn't shown a shred of remorse. The woman needs medical help, not a place she can show off her hoarding.
Thrasops, KathyM, Khonsu and 3 others like this.

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

Before buying a royal python containing the spider gene, give this short video a watch. It may well change your mind http://youtu.be/JfTbiZ_dzVM
Closed Thread

Tags
rules