Good or very bad idea? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enS1ns View Post
Some decent viv locks, and you're good to go. I don't see a problem with it really - so long as he can be trusted to not fiddle with thermostats etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleybradleyc View Post
Hes 13 months old Dan,
This made me chuckle but in seriousness at 13 months old anything will be a new toy to him and will need fiddling with, turning, trying to get at it to play with it, if he can reach it, babies are so curious about everything around them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AilsaM View Post
This made me chuckle but in seriousness at 13 months old anything will be a new toy to him and will need fiddling with, turning, trying to get at it to play with it, if he can reach it, babies are so curious about everything around them
I would probably of had it I'm me mouth, between the mouthfuls of mud
RADIOGAGAGA likes this.

I can't believe how cheap I'm doing him for now !!!
4 gene male dwarf Retic £400
This prices include full setup!!!!!

dwarf retic
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12161744
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12161755
Old 08-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uromastyxman View Post
If the reptiles are in the child's bedroom you will have to feed them, water them and clean them out in there, regardless of whether they're locked or on a stand.
I don't think reptiles should be in a child's bedroom full stop. You asked if it's a bad idea, I think it's a bad idea. It's your decision.
You are right mate, im looking for opinions and im getting them but im just trying to eliminate the bad things. I feed them and clean them in the living room and my 3 kids play in the living room aswell. does that mean its a bad idea to keep reps in the living room aswell? Not having a go buddy and cheers for you're opinion
RADIOGAGAGA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Hes 13 months old Dan,
He wont be 13 months old for long, clever clogs!

I see you've gotten all cheeky while I've been away Bradleyboy. Bless
maxcherry likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
I would probably of had it I'm me mouth, between the mouthfuls of mud
That's another thing, with babies everything, and I mean everything go in the mouth, definitely something to be aware of OP.

And with me it was mouthfuls of sand, I was the only kid not allowed in the sand pit
Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enS1ns View Post
He wont be 13 months old for long, clever clogs!

I see you've gotten all cheeky while I've been away Bradleyboy. Bless
No you are correct, the terrible twos are next

Cheeky me, shucks

I can't believe how cheap I'm doing him for now !!!
4 gene male dwarf Retic £400
This prices include full setup!!!!!

dwarf retic
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12161744
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12161755
Old 08-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Premier Citizen

I work in maternity, and we've had a few parents come through who keep reps. So long as the vivs are clean and the kid isn't licking the snakes (or anything they've crapped on/slithered over) the chances of salmonella transfer are small. BUT- small is not the same as nill, and it can be very serious when they get infected.

I, personally, would say that you know your kid and your snake cleaning habits better than we do, and if you think you can keep the vivs clean enough, and your child out of them, then go for it. If you worry that your child might get up close and personal and start licking the glass (which I admit I used to do to the TV and windows when I was a little'un) then it might be worth just giving him a nice poster of some snakes or something instead. Or maybe a fish tank.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to NickBenger Send a message via Yahoo to NickBenger

Sounds like you have the next Steve Irwin there! Wouldn't an aquarium be a better, safer idea?
RADIOGAGAGA and davem2018 like this.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguidance View Post
I work in maternity, and we've had a few parents come through who keep reps. So long as the vivs are clean and the kid isn't licking the snakes (or anything they've crapped on/slithered over) the chances of salmonella transfer are small. BUT- small is not the same as nill, and it can be very serious when they get infected.

I, personally, would say that you know your kid and your snake cleaning habits better than we do, and if you think you can keep the vivs clean enough, and your child out of them, then go for it. If you worry that your child might get up close and personal and start licking the glass (which I admit I used to do to the TV and windows when I was a little'un) then it might be worth just giving him a nice poster of some snakes or something instead. Or maybe a fish tank.
When cleaning out reptiles I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to really know what is clean. You can't see salmonella, so I'm not sure how anyone's cleaning regime could be trusted to protect children, particularly young ones who are constantly putting their fingers in their mouths. In my opinion very young children should not be where reptiles are permanently housed. People do it, however, I would not risk my children's health in this way. Death and brain damage are possibilities.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguidance View Post

Thanks. Yeah, the husbandary is good and the vivs will be on a stand so he will be too small to reach. But he never plays in his room, its just for sleeping