Good or very bad idea? - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBenger View Post
Sounds like you have the next Steve Irwin there! Wouldn't an aquarium be a better, safer idea?
Think we do haha. He shows no interest in other animals/fish. just the snakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uromastyxman View Post
Death and brain damage are possibilities.
I'm well aware of this. It's not like I started my job yesterday!

However, there are also risks from cats (especially if they have a litter tray rather than going outside), dogs (who lick themselves and then their owners) and all kinds of everyday hazards such as kitchen waste, poorly cooked food... the list is endless. My point is, as with any other animal or cleaning hazard- if managed correctly the risks of infecting a small child are low. Or are you suggesting that anybody who has ever owned a dog/cat/chopping board at the same time as an infant is somehow putting their child in terrible risk? Because if so, I think I know a huuuge amount of people who would want a word with you about it.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 PM
5 Star Member

You could just put your foot down and make the child do as they are told and go to bed.

Or

You could just put a empty viv with a full setup in the Childs room (rubber snake optional) just stick in a light bulb and no need for a stat.
Take them home and keep them in a
secure box and hope they don't escape
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcherry View Post
Or

You could just put a empty viv with a full setup in the Childs room (rubber snake optional) just stick in a light bulb and no need for a stat.
I used to love my rubber snake when I was a kid. He was called Monty.
RADIOGAGAGA likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Regular

Quote:
You could just put your foot down and make the child do as they are told and go to bed.

Or

When he cries its very loud and cries for a very long time. the neighbours wouldnt really appreciate it and either would our other kids.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguidance View Post
I'm well aware of this. It's not like I started my job yesterday!

However, there are also risks from cats (especially if they have a litter tray rather than going outside), dogs (who lick themselves and then their owners) and all kinds of everyday hazards such as kitchen waste, poorly cooked food... the list is endless. My point is, as with any other animal or cleaning hazard- if managed correctly the risks of infecting a small child are low. Or are you suggesting that anybody who has ever owned a dog/cat/chopping board at the same time as an infant is somehow putting their child in terrible risk? Because if so, I think I know a huuuge amount of people who would want a word with you about it.
Sorry I wasn't aiming the brain damage and death comment and you, it was for the op. What you're saying is true, however, I keep reptiles and I would not house them in a child's bedroom, it seems unprofessional to me. Many reptiles have salmonella in their gut, children put things in their mouths, I simply wouldn't mix the two regardless of it being unlikely. From a different angle, I prefer to let my reptiles have some peace and quiet to lower stress levels, and this is another reason I would not put children and reptiles In the vicinity of each other. Some people do it, and that is their choice, I don't have to because I have the space, so I don't for the reasons I've given. I'm not judging anyone, I'm simply saying I wouldn't and why.
KathyM likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:07 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
This would probably be the best of both worlds, stick a rubber one or one of those big, fluffy snakes you get for kids, set it up in it's own viv etc and see if that works, if not there's no harm in sticking a corn in there if he only uses the room for sleeping...you could always put paper down or a rubber, washable mat on the floor when you clean them out.
mitsi likes this.

DEED NOT BREED! SAY NO TO BSL!

The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for that one animal.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Premier Citizen

I'm not sure I see the difference between snakes in the sitting room and snakes in the bedroom, if the kid uses both rooms and vivs are securely locked

why is one a bigger risk than the other?

not trying to argue, just puzzled. If I missed just say so don't freak

I thought salmonella was contact transferred? the kid won't get sick breathing the same air as the reptile?
davem2018 and Misguidance like this.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uromastyxman View Post
Sorry I wasn't aiming the brain damage and death comment and you, it was for the op.
Then I apologise for being overly sensitive.

EDIT: I've just realised that my rubber snake must have been called Monty Python. I'm nearly 30 and I never noticed that before.... He was given to me by my Dad, so clearly that was a little in-joke from my parents. Lovely.
RADIOGAGAGA likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iulia View Post
I'm not sure I see the difference between snakes in the sitting room and snakes in the bedroom, if the kid uses both rooms and vivs are securely locked

why is one a bigger risk than the other?

not trying to argue, just puzzled. If I missed just say so don't freak

I thought salmonella was contact transferred? the kid won't get sick breathing the same air as the reptile?
Thats why im asking about it. The salmonella thing is because the cleaning of the viv and feeding but as you said, it all happens in the living room at the moment anyway.