Good or very bad idea? - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcherry View Post

You could just put a empty viv with a full setup in the Childs room (rubber snake optional) just stick in a light bulb and no need for a stat.

This is the best idea, imo. My kids are 5yr old and a 15 month old, and they have a full setup in their room. No animals or electrics, just a couple of toy snakes. It doesn't help them sleep or anything, my eldest just likes playing snake handler lol.

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

Before buying a royal python containing the spider gene, give this short video a watch. It may well change your mind http://youtu.be/JfTbiZ_dzVM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldestblood View Post
This is the best idea, imo. My kids are 5yr old and a 15 month old, and they have a full setup in their room. No animals or electrics, just a couple of toy snakes. It doesn't help them sleep or anything, my eldest just likes playing snake handler lol.
It is a good Idea. Might do that for the oldest. Hes 5 as well so its a good way of teaching him
maxcherry likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Premier Citizen

I have kept reptiles for a very long time, and only ever had my first snake tested for salmonella, at the insistence of my ex-mrs' (There was a story in the papers at the time and she was worried about our son.) The snake tested positive and had to be treated.
I have never had one tested since, knowing what the outcome would be.
Neither myself or my son ever came to any harm from any of my snakes, and yet now I am a grandad, would I let my grandson (18 months) anywhere near the snakes? No way!
The very old and very young are most at risk, so why chance it?

Still, they're your kids, its up to you.
Uromastyxman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
I have kept reptiles for a very long time, and only ever had my first snake tested for salmonella, at the insistence of my ex-mrs' (There was a story in the papers at the time and she was worried about our son.) The snake tested positive and had to be treated.
I have never had one tested since, knowing what the outcome would be.
Neither myself or my son ever came to any harm from any of my snakes, and yet now I am a grandad, would I let my grandson (18 months) anywhere near the snakes? No way!
The very old and very young are most at risk, so why chance it?

Still, they're your kids, its up to you.
Cheers Paul. This is why im asking the question mate. But again does that mean its a bad thing to keep reptiles in a home with kids or do you recommend keeping in a separate room where kids dont have access to? I have had snakes for 16 years now but never had any salmonella tests done before
Old 08-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Gold Star Member

Do you use a light in the vivariums?

If so, it's far more likely he just likes he light. Not the reptiles.
KathyM and stark like this.

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterone View Post
Do you use a light in the vivariums?

If so, it's far more likely he just likes he light. Not the reptiles.
LED's mate but deffo the snakes he watches
Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2018 View Post
Thats why im asking about it. The salmonella thing is because the cleaning of the viv and feeding but as you said, it all happens in the living room at the moment anyway.
Ok, anywhere you have reptiles and children, whether its bedroom or front room, you have the chance of the child coming into contact with the cage, bowls, spilt substrate, cage furniture. If the child is in the vicinity of the snake cage and all its contents you have the possibility for contact. I have a reptile room and all the reptile keeping stuff that goes with it is in there, I don't like my children going in there because I cannot monitor who is coming into contact with what, and nor can anyone else. Even if you lifted the entire cage out of the room and took it elswhere I would not do it. And as I said in an earlier post, I prefer to keep my reptiles in a place where they can have some peace, which Is another reason why I would not have children and reptiles permanently in the same vicinity. Why don't you contact a few reptile breeding facilities and ask them what their protocols are regarding children in their reptile areas. Just because some people do something at home does not mean it's acceptable.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Posting Deity

I wouldn't do it.

If you have the health visitor round or he needs a doctors visit, it would certainly raise a few eyebrows.
KathyM likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2018 View Post
When he cries its very loud and cries for a very long time. the neighbours wouldnt really appreciate it and either would our other kids.
LOL ... So he's ruling the roost at 1 Year Cool kid
maxcherry, KathyM and RADIOGAGAGA like this.

Last edited by ratboy; 08-05-2014 at 10:04 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Ultra Citizen

I think how you phrased your post says it all really - Good or very bad idea. Obviously your choice but it is a case of 90% of the time it will be absolutely fine and harmless the other 10% it wont and do you want to take that chance? Think the rubber snake in the Viv is the best idea.

(PS stats pulled straight out my so dont take them literally)

davem2018 likes this.