13 months mate lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
I wouldn't do it.

If you have the health visitor round or he needs a doctors visit, it would certainly raise a few eyebrows.
The last time the health visitor was here she wanted to hold the corn lol
Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uromastyxman View Post
Ok, anywhere you have reptiles and children, whether its bedroom or front room, you have the chance of the child coming into contact with the cage, bowls, spilt substrate, cage furniture. If the child is in the vicinity of the snake cage and all its contents you have the possibility for contact. I have a reptile room and all the reptile keeping stuff that goes with it is in there, I don't like my children going in there because I cannot monitor who is coming into contact with what, and nor can anyone else. Even if you lifted the entire cage out of the room and took it elswhere I would not do it. And as I said in an earlier post, I prefer to keep my reptiles in a place where they can have some peace, which Is another reason why I would not have children and reptiles permanently in the same vicinity. Why don't you contact a few reptile breeding facilities and ask them what their protocols are regarding children in their reptile areas. Just because some people do something at home does not mean it's acceptable.
I had a reptile room before but we have moved into a temporary house so I dont really have the luxury at the moment of having a reptile room. Im not giving them away because we will be moving soon so hopefully be building or converting a garage to house them. But at the moment, no option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2018 View Post
The last time the health visitor was here she wanted to hold the corn lol
Yeah, but it's not in the babies bedroom yet Just my opinion mate.
KathyM likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Go for it

Ur kid sleeping next to viv or viv in his room same chance of catchin something so if u happy to have him next to em in the front room no problem havin one in his bedroom

Even if unto a snake room still chance of gettin the germ to spread unless u wash ur hole arms. Plus if the snake touches ur clothes it can be spread. So it's completely up to you mate.

Last edited by Est2014snakes; 08-05-2014 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
Yeah, but it's not in the babies bedroom yet Just my opinion mate.
I know mate. im just meaning the little man spends more time in the living room where the snakes are at the moment. so wouldnt it be better for him then if they are somewhere he spends less time. I'm probably just going to go for the fake snake idea that was mentioned anyway. Just makes me think, thats all.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uromastyxman View Post
Ok, anywhere you have reptiles and children, whether its bedroom or front room, you have the chance of the child coming into contact with the cage, bowls, spilt substrate, cage furniture. If the child is in the vicinity of the snake cage and all its contents you have the possibility for contact. I have a reptile room and all the reptile keeping stuff that goes with it is in there, I don't like my children going in there because I cannot monitor who is coming into contact with what, and nor can anyone else. Even if you lifted the entire cage out of the room and took it elswhere I would not do it. And as I said in an earlier post, I prefer to keep my reptiles in a place where they can have some peace, which Is another reason why I would not have children and reptiles permanently in the same vicinity. Why don't you contact a few reptile breeding facilities and ask them what their protocols are regarding children in their reptile areas. Just because some people do something at home does not mean it's acceptable.
I think you're being a little paranoid. Kids come into contact with all types of nasty things, regardless of where they are. Being exposed to germs and things is essential for building a good immune system. They touch the toilet, put their shoes in their mouths, crawl around on grass animals may wee'd in; all without becoming ill. Catching salmonella from a snake is highly unlikely.

Can I ask how old your children are, and what age you allowed them to go near/touch reptiles and/or the equipment?

NOTE: I'm not suggesting children being around snakes is a good idea or risk free - my youngest is 14 months and hasn't touched a snake yet. He sits with me in the snake room, has done since he was a year old.

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

Before buying a royal python containing the spider gene, give this short video a watch. It may well change your mind http://youtu.be/JfTbiZ_dzVM
Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Premier Citizen

Where I bought a royal from there was a 2 year old lad helping his dad with waters in the snakes vivs. In the childs bedroom on the floor was a 6ft viv with an adult boa in. With close supervision the child topped up the water using an empty plastic milk bottle. The child was completely at ease and you could see the dad was watching closely at the boa but was still relaxed. The child was just at ease with touching the young royals and was very gentle. What was remarkable though was the fact that before we left the house the child rushed over to me with a bottle of F10 gel which he squirted on my hands.
They are never to young to learn and I dont see why having a corn or boa in a secure viv is going to be a problem. The child will probably to grow up to love and respect reptiles.
He could just as easy catch salmonella from contaminated food or other everyday pets.
mitsi and davem2018 like this.
G. Pulchripes , C. Cyaneopubescens, B. Vagans, B. Albopilosum, B. boehmei, L. parahybana, P. Lugardi, E. Pachypus, G. Rosea.
4 Achatina Fulica (Giant African Land Snails)

Border collie x, 2 Cats, 17 Goldfish.
Fed up with being called mate and he . I am a lady, so play nice
Old 08-05-2014, 10:23 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2018 View Post
I know mate. im just meaning the little man spends more time in the living room where the snakes are at the moment. so wouldnt it be better for him then if they are somewhere he spends less time. I'm probably just going to go for the fake snake idea that was mentioned anyway. Just makes me think, thats all.
I wouldn't worry about them catching anything. Snakes in the livingroom is fine, as long as you make sure you keep everything clean, don't allow your son to handle the snake; or the things used for the snake.

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."

Before buying a royal python containing the spider gene, give this short video a watch. It may well change your mind http://youtu.be/JfTbiZ_dzVM
Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 PM
5 Star Member

Don't know if anybody has suggested this but how about a bit of deception how about a single viv with a rubber/false snake in it, you can still put a light in it, a water bowl etc, & move it around daily.

Parents lie, it's in the job description

More about Aimo www.nosmia.me.uk/

More about Fleams