Python keeps striking out - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Hatchling
Default Python keeps striking out

I re homed a carpet python from a pet shop that was closing and i can not handle her. Everytime i put my hand near her viv she strikes out it takes nearly a hour to even change her water. Can anybody offer some advice? She was never handled in the shop and they used to put her food in the viv so i think the viv smells of food now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Gold Star Member

Have a read

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ng-snakes.html

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 PM
5 Star Member

Tap training a carpet doesn't really work since they just climb the hook.
I've tried for a long time to do this.

My trick for snappy carpets is to use a sheet of card or a rub lid as a shield.
Go in the viv with it first, let them have a smell if they want but use it to push the head to the side or away from you while you do what needs to be done.
You can even pin the head gently with it and pick the rest of the snake up to handle.
You'll probably find that it will calm down once you've got hold of it.

The viv will not smell of food if you've put fresh substrate in.
Amber, mitsi and Cembo84 like this.

National Reptile Awareness Day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirob88 View Post
I re homed a carpet python from a pet shop that was closing and i can not handle her. Everytime i put my hand near her viv she strikes out it takes nearly a hour to even change her water. Can anybody offer some advice? She was never handled in the shop and they used to put her food in the viv so i think the viv smells of food now.
Tip for the future don't re home something you cant deal with, an hour to change water shows you shouldn't have taken her on.
Mynki, AilsaM and mitsi like this.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Forum Citizen

I do the same as Hannah. All my pure jungles are very moody and love having a go. I tend to use whatever's around me at the time and gently push the snake away.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Forum Citizen

Something I also noticed with my carpets -

I had a viv stack of 5 vivariums, one of top of the other. The top 2 were difficult to see into and I needed steps to clean and feed.

I put a very tame Jag I had at the time on the top viv and over the space of about 3 months she became very aggressive and would bite at any sign of movement. I then put her in the bottom viv and over the next few months she calmed down.

I tried this again with one of my jungles and found exactly the same thing happened! She is now kept at around waist height and calmed down!

I don't know why or if anyone else has experienced the same thing with other species? Being semi-arboreal I suspect that when the snake is 'looking down' in the wild when on plants/trees then it thinks that most things moving below are prey??
Khonsu, AilsaM and RADIOGAGAGA like this.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cembo84 View Post
Something I also noticed with my carpets -

I had a viv stack of 5 vivariums, one of top of the other. The top 2 were difficult to see into and I needed steps to clean and feed.

I put a very tame Jag I had at the time on the top viv and over the space of about 3 months she became very aggressive and would bite at any sign of movement. I then put her in the bottom viv and over the next few months she calmed down.

I tried this again with one of my jungles and found exactly the same thing happened! She is now kept at around waist height and calmed down!

I don't know why or if anyone else has experienced the same thing with other species? Being semi-arboreal I suspect that when the snake is 'looking down' in the wild when on plants/trees then it thinks that most things moving below are prey??
I agree with this, I have a gtp who was docile and never really boticed me but now shes in a viv just above head height and she strikes at me now!? Must be a looking down thing! I might move my other overly docile one into that viv to see if he wakes up a bit being above head height!
RADIOGAGAGA and Cembo84 like this.

had a clearout or got a few things for sale

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12263705
Old 09-05-2014, 12:59 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDB View Post
Tip for the future don't re home something you cant deal with, an hour to change water shows you shouldn't have taken her on.
There was nobody else to take her as the lad was a mate and just dropped the snake off at my house. I rehome many animals and have bosc monitors and a boa. I had no idea what temrament this carpet had or how they had treated it in the shop until afterwards. It was kept in its tank for over a year and never handled. I was the only person he knew who rehomed reptiles.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Super Regular

Don't worry you are doing the best you can by her and seeking help. As others have said try to move her head away from you by blocking with something, if you pick her up and remove her from the tank she might well be placid. How big is this snake?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDB View Post
I don't think that is true.

They are asking for advice, this is the kind of thing you learn from experience, and there is nothing like a constantly striking snake to teach you how to deal with it. Nowhere did they say they feel overwhelmed or unable to care for it.

Your comment is the kind that discourage people from seeking advice which is the opposite of this forum's purpose.