Dwindling love but the hobby is still crap. - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 18-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Premier Citizen

I may be new to snake keeping, but I have some hobbies that I have been involved in since I was a pretty small kid. So what I'm saying now is based on my experience of those, not snake keeping per say.

If what other people do with their hobbies bothers you, then it might not be the hobby you like as much as the attention it gets you from others. If it's something you're passionate about, turn away and enjoy it on your own, or with a few friends. But you don't have the right to piss on other people's joy, just as they don't have the right to invade your privacy and piss on yours.

But seriously- this is a very diverse hobby, and other than keeping snakes we all don't have that much in common. We will all do stuff differently, and enjoy different parts of it, and so long as the animals are well looked after and healthy, these differences don't matter much. I, personally, do not like the idea of breeding and find morphs confusing, but others adore that part of it. And good for them- I like seeing their pictures, and that's as far into that side of things as I will ever get.
yardy, Iulia and NezA like this.
Baron Lipton VonSnudge- CB14 Snow Corn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Premier Citizen

so without morphs what would we have -

normal corn

normal royal

normal garter

normal boa

BUT surely there would be all these other species available??

mmn

IMO not. I think the proliferation of morphs is one of the reasons the 'hobby' has expanded the way it has, LEADING to all the less usual species being at all available.

I personally feel the whole sneering at morphs (like the sneering at royals) is just some kind of inverse snobbery that people need to get over ....
Thrasops, naja-naja, yardy and 4 others like this.
Old 18-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iulia View Post

normal corn

normal royal

normal garter

normal boa

mmn

IMO not. I think the proliferation of morphs is one of the reasons the 'hobby' has expanded the way it has, LEADING to all the less usual species being at all available.

I personally feel the whole sneering at morphs (like the sneering at royals) is just some kind of inverse snobbery that people need to get over ....
kind of like the reptile equivalent of a "hipster" couldn't agree more glad i'm not the only one who thinks this.

Royals
1.0 Hypo Mojave
1.0 Banana Poss Fire
1.0 Albino Black Pastel
0.1 Albino
0.1 Normal
0.1 Lesser
0.1 Enchi
0.1 Bumblebee
0.1 Pastel Pied
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NezA View Post
kind of like the reptile equivalent of a "hipster" couldn't agree more glad i'm not the only one who thinks this.
THIS IS AWSOME.

psbreptiles.com is my website

Old 18-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to AdamMcC

If you don't like it... then off?

Plain and simple.
https://www.facebook.com/adamj.pythons
Old 18-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

normal corn

normal royal

normal garter

normal boa

mmn

+1
Old 18-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_ferret View Post
i got my first snake when i was 18, im now 24, so im far from in a position to comment on most of this, but even in such a short time i have noticed what i view as detrimental changes.

the first being the spoon feeding culture that seems to be taking over. people seem to expect to have information handed to them on a platter, while doing little to no research themselves. and woe betide anyone who suggests they should have, for they are about to drown in a sea of 'everybody has to start somewhere!', 'god this hobby's so snobby, do you not want newbies?!', 'everyone makes mistakes!' and so on. get out there, use your head and look into your damn animal. if you're confused about some aspect then ask, but do it before you buy the thing.

however, equally...

parroting information given by so called experts as gospel and lynching anyone who dares do something different. how we look after these animals is born of innovation, if someone is trying something new with the animals best interests at heart, put your pitchforks down and accept that guywithayoutubechannel6009 is not the gospel on snake keeping.
Old 18-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Premier Citizen

20+ish years keeping..
Is what you make of it.
I do all I do for me, my happiness/satisfaction and my snakes.. you lot are just lucky I like sharing..

Tom

Boiga 4 life.. just not this section of it!

Basefook: Boiga Hub
Old 18-05-2014, 10:44 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:

normal corn

normal royal

normal garter

normal boa

mmn

Not true actually. Before morphs proliferated, there was a far greater variety of interesting species available, which have now fallen by the wayside in favour of the big bucks!

0.1 Cockapoo - Scruff
1.0 Airedale Terrier - MONSTER!
Old 18-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcriss View Post
Not true actually. Before morphs proliferated, there was a far greater variety of interesting species available, which have now fallen by the wayside in favour of the big bucks!

really??? like for example?

Tags
grandpa simpson