Help needed - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Regular
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Stratford on Avon
Posts: 71
Default Help needed

Hi I am new to snake keeping just come across a ad for a snake it's a normal that is 8 months old comes complete with viv for about £200 so I enquired more she is not using a heat mat or stat surly this is bad as the snakes needs it?
maxcherry likes this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Misguidance's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Portsmouth, uk
Posts: 2,004
Default

First, what kind of snake is it? Some people have argued that some snake species can do ok without additional heat sources (although it seems to be a highly debated topic!)

Second, my corn's previous owner kept her in a heated reptile room, without a mat or stat- and she's fine. If the snake is healthy, then that's all that matters.... although, if you do buy the snake, getting it a heat source and stat is probably for the best. No point tempting fate, after all!
rhinorogers13 likes this.
__________________
H.R.H Princess Opal the Eartickler- CB12 Snow Corn.
Rambo- CB09 Ghost Corn.
The Almighty Zipper Beast, Tiny God of All Things Small and Squiggly- CB12 Amel Stripe Corn.
Baron Lipton VonSnudge- CB14 Snow Corn.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Regular
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Stratford on Avon
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguidance View Post
First, what kind of snake is it? Some people have argued that some snake species can do ok without additional heat sources (although it seems to be a highly debated topic!)

Second, my corn's previous owner kept her in a heated reptile room, without a mat or stat- and she's fine. If the snake is healthy, then that's all that matters.... although, if you do buy the snake, getting it a heat source and stat is probably for the best. No point tempting fate, after all!
It's a royal python normal this is the adhttp://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/royal-phyton/1065301429#photo-content
something is telling me there is something not right with this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 12:30 PM
5 Star Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Basingstoke
Posts: 4,505
Default

You wouldn't use a mat for a royal anyway.
A lamp or ceramic is better, mats are not a good idea for a heavily bodied snake.

In fact on looking at the pictures I can clearly see a ceramic heater in the viv, given that she's guarded it as well I'd say she probably knows what she's doing.
Provided it's on a stat, set up looks perfect for a Royal.
__________________


National Reptile Awareness Day

Last edited by Hannah81; 31-05-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Misguidance's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Portsmouth, uk
Posts: 2,004
Default

Wierd- it looks like she has a heat lamp in there with a guard over it. Heat mats aren't good for heavy-bodied snakes, so it could be that she's been using the lamp (which is right) and there has been a communication issue of some kind.

Should still be attached to a stat, but if you do get him (he's a very nice looking snake- love those saddle markings!) then you can pick up a stat separately without too much trouble.

We probably need a royal owner in here to tell us more, though.
rhinorogers13 likes this.
__________________
H.R.H Princess Opal the Eartickler- CB12 Snow Corn.
Rambo- CB09 Ghost Corn.
The Almighty Zipper Beast, Tiny God of All Things Small and Squiggly- CB12 Amel Stripe Corn.
Baron Lipton VonSnudge- CB14 Snow Corn.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Boidation's Avatar
Super Regular
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falmouth
Posts: 201
Default

That royal looks healthy, in the photos there is both a ceramic heater and a lamp so heating looks okay. You can use either a heat mat or a ceramic heat emitter for a royal python, that set up looks pretty good to me but of course if you bought the snake you would have to check temperatures and get it all working well with a stat.
rhinorogers13 likes this.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Regular
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Stratford on Avon
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah81 View Post
You wouldn't use a mat for a royal anyway.
A lamp or ceramic is better, mats are not a good idea for a heavily bodied snake.

In fact on looking at the pictures I can clearly see a ceramic heater in the viv, given that she's guarded it as well I'd say she probably knows what she's doing.
Provided it's on a stat, set up looks perfect for a Royal.
Ahh okay more stuff to think about lol as I said I am still learning no stat
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 12:41 PM
5 Star Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Basingstoke
Posts: 4,505
Default

There are various methods of heating a viv. Some are better for different species than others.

Lamps, ceramics, radiators and AHS heaters, tube heaters etc need to be guarded as well as stated so the snake cannot touch them.

It's a good idea to guard a UV light as well, looks like she's got one in there too.
__________________


National Reptile Awareness Day
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Regular
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Stratford on Avon
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boidation View Post
That royal looks healthy, in the photos there is both a ceramic heater and a lamp so heating looks okay. You can use either a heat mat or a ceramic heat emitter for a royal python, that set up looks pretty good to me but of course if you bought the snake you would have to check temperatures and get it all working well with a stat.
Okay thank you always best to check she or he was been funny with me so that put me off yeah the snake is nice only 8 months old I herd a few talking about ceramic so I know now what there talking about
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 09:48 PM
emmabee's Avatar
5 Star Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Leominster
Posts: 3,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinorogers13 View Post
Okay thank you always best to check she or he was been funny with me so that put me off yeah the snake is nice only 8 months old I herd a few talking about ceramic so I know now what there talking about
if youre fairly new to keeping then personally id advise you to buy off someone else. if they are being funny with you now they might not offer you the aftercare you need.

royals are great first snakes but can be fussy feeders and fast naturally which scares new owners and you should have someone you feel you can ask these questions of if they arise and that they will get back to you and be helpful.

just my opinion though
rhinorogers13 likes this.
__________________
http://reptileawarenessgroup.weebly.com/

Reptile Awareness Group
-raising awareness and education about reptiles. Fancy joining us? Drop us a line!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SE England Help Needed - Vivarium needed UGENTLY reptilejade Equipment Classifieds 2 07-10-2012 11:35 AM
viv needed manwhel Forum Help, Suggestions & News 4 26-03-2011 10:18 PM
Emergancey help needed now please for rat. Help needed now!!! Jemny Other Pets and Exotics 10 12-11-2010 06:21 PM
Help Needed YBS steven_pollard01 Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise 3 14-07-2010 12:37 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:06 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)