HELP! I want a Royal! - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 28-02-2017, 02:36 AM
Super Citizen

Boring answer

Just wait.

The last thing you need at this point is the bind of a pet. Especially one that won't he easy to rehome. If you're anything like most people i know: You will be moving around a fair bit post university, different house shares (most won't want a snake), changing jobs, possibly travelling or living abroad for a period or partners who might really not be into snakes either.

The two snakes I got at 15 have now spent longer in my mother's care than my own, much to her chagrin. If it wasn't for her reluctant agreement, i'd have had to either rehome them or lived a completely different 20s. Neither would have been a pleasant option. A royal python is a commitment for decades to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-2017, 02:55 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch View Post
Boring answer

Just wait.

The last thing you need at this point is the bind of a pet. Especially one that won't he easy to rehome. If you're anything like most people i know: You will be moving around a fair bit post university, different house shares (most won't want a snake), changing jobs, possibly travelling or living abroad for a period or partners who might really not be into snakes either.

The two snakes I got at 15 have now spent longer in my mother's care than my own, much to her chagrin. If it wasn't for her reluctant agreement, i'd have had to either rehome them or lived a completely different 20s. Neither would have been a pleasant option. A royal python is a commitment for decades to come.
I definitely appreciate some of these points but are you basically telling me to wait until I'm 30?
Old 28-02-2017, 03:33 AM
Super Regular

Is this thread really 2 and a half years old? I guess you didn't get one. Unfortunately, the advice above is all very true. As far as your 20s are concerned a pet like that could be a bind, you may get the chance to study abroad for 6 months a year maybe. You may want to emigrate, god knows I'd be off to Australia if I was in your boots. Anyway boring advice from a guy almost old enough to be your grandfather. All the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalSandT View Post
Love the throw-caution-to-the-wind advice tbh and a great idea with the temp setup, that's something that could definitely save some space when packing for a trip home... Regarding graduation, that's not until 2019 - I don't think I could bear the extra 2 years!

I'll have a think about it all over the next few months as would want to wait for a hatchling from this breeding season if possible. Here's hoping!
Living life on the edge. Good luck with uni.

My last job involved a lot of moving around the country, at the time I had to drop my collection right back and just kept my San Luis Potosi Kingsnake.

The reason I asked about driving is, the snake would go in a rub seatbelted on the passenger seat padded out with a pillow case etc. Viv in the boot and I was away.

Keep us in the loop regardless!
Old 28-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Premier Member

Don't be in a rush. Wait until things in your life settle, and if that means you'll be in your late 20's or early 30's then so be it.

You are already looking on the transportation at holiday times as a chore, so clearly not really in the right frame of mind for getting a Royal IMO.

As already mentioned, this will be a life long commitment. Snakes are long lived, with some members here having pythons or boa's that are 20+ years old, and the re-homing centres are already full.

Malc

Old 28-02-2017, 10:02 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

Definitely a long commitment. My son got his Royal as a hatchling when he was 11 years old, with our support. 'Indiana' is now 12, he's been back and forth from Uni depending on the room size (the landlords in the house shares didn't mind him - permission was always asked). Now he is with me again waiting for Luke to get a place which will take the viv in a space that gives Indi some quiet so that he feeds. He was always a shy feeder.
Lots of things to consider - it's not always as simple as it sounds.
Ex0tic likes this.
Old 28-02-2017, 12:17 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Don't be in a rush. Wait until things in your life settle, and if that means you'll be in your late 20's or early 30's then so be it.

You are already looking on the transportation at holiday times as a chore, so clearly not really in the right frame of mind for getting a Royal IMO.

As already mentioned, this will be a life long commitment. Snakes are long lived, with some members here having pythons or boa's that are 20+ years old, and the re-homing centres are already full.
Well of course transportation is a challenge (I wouldn't say chore) but so is getting up in the night to feed a newborn baby - that doesn't stop most of the world's population from reproducing anyway.
Old 28-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Egg

It took me ages to get my stepdad and mum to agree as they thought I wouldn't look after her. But feeding isn't daily and just make sure they are at the right temp and have water but I do understand as if you do go college or move out you got to understand some people don't want pets if you rent their homes. All I say is don't push too hard to get one and if you do be careful as where I used to work we had someone bring in a "corn snake" in as it was getting too big fir th thats becaude it was an albino bermeese python

Ps I can't spell so sorry if something is spelt wrong

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 28-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Egg

My set up and for a royal it can be slightly smaller especially if you get them out regularly. Not much space is needed

Old 28-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigcollins View Post

My set up and for a royal it can be slightly smaller especially if you get them out regularly. Not much space is needed

That poor poor corn, NO hides and NO space
bobby, Sylvi, Malc and 5 others like this.

Tags
advice , ball python , ideas , parents , royal python