Snakes eating aspen - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 28-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Snakes eating aspen

When fed my snake before noticed there was some aspen bedding going down too, dont know how got there but is it unsafe? I imagine every feed would be but every so often if they ingest some is it bad? I tried geting some out his mouth with tweezers and got some but some got swallowed
Advertisement

Old 28-09-2014, 11:11 PM
5 Star Member

Aspen will not harm your snakes if it is ingested. While a snakes digestive system will not break it down to the point it can be used by the snake, the digestive acids and enzymes will break it down enough to where it is easily passed.
Graylord and legallyblonde like this.

Suspension Incubation containers www.squamataconcepts.com
Old 28-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Forum Citizen

Oh really oh thats a relief , was worried a bit
Advertisement

Old 29-09-2014, 08:55 AM
5 Star Member

they dont eat there dinner at a table in the wild id imagine theres stones mud stick and all sorts of vegitation in the wild. Thed dont exactly hang out in the cleanest enviroments
legallyblonde likes this.
Old 29-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Ultra Citizen

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree. I've seen aspen get lodged in a snakes mouth and cause infections !
Old 29-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by laf27 View Post
Sorry, but I'll have to disagree. I've seen aspen get lodged in a snakes mouth and cause infections !
Whilst yes that can happen - the snake will be acting a little odd, keep "yawning" rubbing its head and trying to dislodge it - so you can just pin it and check things out.

Generally, provided your husbandry is correct a little bedding will not cause an issue, as above, in the wild they will eat dirty prey and lets be honest if every time it caused a medical issue they wouldn't still be around.

It is all relative though if you get prey coated in bedding (it would have to be really wet for this to happen or the bedding really wet, which it shouldnt be as that will just cause there issues) or large pieces of bark going down you can cause issues or if you use substrates like calci sand, which is know to harden like cement when wet and thats coated on the prey. Kitchen town is another thats caused issues. Lignocel is one I would like to hear about if anyone reading this has used it - have you wetted it and played with it in your hands? I ask because I have seem people reporting that it clumps solid when wet and also coats their hands in a oily substance - they apparently did these tests when they noticed it clumping in their retics mouths.
0.2 Tokay Geckos
0.1 Corn Snakes
1.0 Western Hognose
1.0 False Water Cobra
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Boa Constrictor
1.0 Russian Rat
1.0 Amazon Tree Boa
Old 29-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Athravan

Aspen can get caught in the mouth and cause infections/problems. It can also get caught in the digestive system and cause blockages. Both of these things are very rare though, snakes are very good at digesting things and passing them through if they are not massive and as already mentioned, do get a variety of twigs and leaves and mud mixed in with the prey in the wild.

Having fed my snakes on aspen for the last 20 years or so, I have never experienced a problem with them consuming small amounts accidentally so although problems can occur it's extremely unlikely. If at all worried then tub feeding will completely eliminate the risk.

It's lizards that seem to have the problems with eating substrate more often; perhaps because their digestive system is not so elongated, and is not designed to break up large matter like bone.

Quickest responses via telephone to 02920 190291 or Facebook Message

Old 29-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Postaholic Member

You could always do what I do when I feed my retics. Put newspaper down over the aspen first and then feed. I do it because I'd just worry otherwise. Easy to do, stops any aspen going on the food and being ingested.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 29-09-2014, 11:57 AM
5 Star Member

bloody hell sod doing that when ur feeding them large rabbits or piglets retics from what ive seen on wildlife programmes literally shovel like half the ground around them down there throat with the deer/bushpig/etc ..... theres no need to worry about substrate theres only one incident ive every heard of with a snake getting impacted and that wasnt on aspen it was orchid bark.... bloody hell u cud eat aspen and it would get digested
Old 29-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
bloody hell sod doing that when ur feeding them large rabbits or piglets retics from what ive seen on wildlife programmes literally shovel like half the ground around them down there throat with the deer/bushpig/etc ..... theres no need to worry about substrate theres only one incident ive every heard of with a snake getting impacted and that wasnt on aspen it was orchid bark.... bloody hell u cud eat aspen and it would get digested

Like I said, it's for my own peace of mind. And however small the risk is I'd sooner eliminate it. Newspaper does this and takes a few seconds to put in and remove.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.