Hognose Covered in Ticks. Donny. - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Super Regular

alisam; Thanks. Once again; yes I didn't see them, thanks for pointing that out again.

tannxxx ; thanks for the suggestion; I'll try that out, much appreciated.
Se7enS1ns likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Postaholic Member

I'm gonna defend the OP here a little.
The lighting in there is dodgy... Some areas seem well lit, others darker, some areas are bathed in led/blue/UV light from other stalls and the hustle and bustle make it hard to spend ages looking at owt.
Yes in the ideal world they would have been spotted but stalls as Donny are far from ideal in that sense. (As in spotting mites)

Good luck dealing with the mites, I'm sure all will come good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
Bad news for you Rach

You aint boring at all...
Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Super Regular

Thanks. Yes, I'm afraid I can clearly now see both have the mites. But i did not see them and i defo checked them out as best i could. As I say, not sure if it was lighting or temperature; the snakes were a bit cold on this guys table. Lesson learned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Postaholic Member

Look it's happened to us all...
We bought a snake from a well known shop which had mites... I fact we've had two snakes come to us with mites from shops.
In both cases we didn't spot them... And we had the advantage of not being in a busy area with odd lighting.
You could have just one or two mites that very quickly become a whole load of mites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
Bad news for you Rach

You aint boring at all...
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Super Regular

Thanks. This guy sold a lot of snakes while I was there so I'm guessing I wasn't the only one.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Premier Citizen

It shouldn't amaze me any more - but still does - the number of people who just have a go whatever.

the guy didn't notice mites at a show, ffs. And wants now to treat them. He hasn't abused or neglected his animals, or children, or spread ebola

Lighten UP!!!!!

op - its considered wise to quarantine new animals anyway, so keep them away from your royals and keep equipment separated hands washed etc

I myself did use callingtons on baby hoglets (bought with mites from a VERY well known dealer btw) with no ill effects, but nearly had a heart attack when I read that callingtons can have side effects with hognoses.

So best to probably avoid, but I don't know what else to use. Hopefully the other advice is more useful
Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Super Regular

[QUOTE=Iulia;12073804]It shouldn't amaze me any more - but still does - the number of people who just have a go whatever.

the guy didn't notice mites at a show, ffs. And wants now to treat them. He hasn't abused or neglected his animals, or children, or spread ebola

Lighten UP!!!!!

op - its considered wise to quarantine new animals anyway, so keep them away from your royals and keep equipment separated hands washed etc

I myself did use callingtons on baby hoglets (bought with mites from a VERY well known dealer btw) with no ill effects, but nearly had a heart attack when I read that callingtons can have side effects with hognoses.

So best to probably avoid, but I don't know what else to use. Hopefully the other advice is more useful :

Ha, yes most I have spoken to on this forum have been really great and I had yet to be on receiving end of someone negative until tonight. Oh well.

Thanks alot, yes I'll defo be careful not to transfer this. I'll try the bathing / olive oil for a few days. In the meantime will check a few treatments and order them up just in case this doesn't help. Appreciate the advise from all who replied. Hopefully I can get these guys fixed up ASAP.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylecreep View Post
Thanks. This guy sold a lot of snakes while I was there so I'm guessing I wasn't the only one.
Name and shame, name and shame

Account inactive - no longer used.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Super Regular

MoreliaUK ; heheh, clearly my eyes aren't good enough to see little black mites on little orange snakes; so you wouldn't trust my description of the seller if I told you !
pete, MoreliaUK and HerbsParents like this.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Premier Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylecreep View Post
MoreliaUK ; heheh, clearly my eyes aren't good enough to see little black mites on little orange snakes; so you wouldn't trust my description of the seller if I told you !
No doubt just another goth type, tattoos and smelling of patchouli oil

Account inactive - no longer used.