safe bulb holders on the cheap - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Banned
Default safe bulb holders on the cheap

Would have put this in Equipment and supplies, but that gets low visitors for some reason, and Replies to posts there are Scant...

Given the Price of Reptile Specific bulb holders, can anyone Point to good Heat Proof bulb holders, for bulbs and ceramics available in places Like b and q, wickes, screwfix, toolstation etc???

would only be for max 150w max bulbs/ceramics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Ultra Citizen

I use the ones from blue lizard, they are a good price and the larger size leaves a good gap between bulb and cage

Heat Guard Square 12x24cm - Light Fittings - Reptile Lighting - Blue Lizard Reptiles - Reptile Shop

''..An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men..''
Charles Darwin

Old 04-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I use the ones from blue lizard, they are a good price and the larger size leaves a good gap between bulb and cage

Heat Guard Square 12x24cm - Light Fittings - Reptile Lighting - Blue Lizard Reptiles - Reptile Shop
He doesn't want bulb guards though.....

Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Premier Citizen

I usually use these ones - 10 x CERAMIC screw Edison E27 ES27 heat bulb lamp LAMP HOLDER lampholders 1000w | eBay
Dr3d likes this.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Citizen

Just from a quick search on the B&Q website I can't seem to find any decent heat resistant bulb holders- and a 150W ceramic will kick out a lot of heat- more than a 150W light bulb will and also closer to the holder (the heat in a lightbulb comes from the filament inside so the IR radiation spreads out until at the glass surface the temp is a lot lower- with a ceramic bulb the heat is emitted from the surface, so the IR rays don't have the chance to spread before hitting the holder- dependent on exact ceramic bulb design) and I've seen 40W bulbs in outdoor light holders melt plastic holders and scorch the wood behind so I wouldn't want to risk a 150W ceramic with any plastic holder.

However, B&Q does sell heat resistant electrical cable at a very reasonable price which is perfectly safe to use.

I would personally stump up the extra couple of quid for a genuine ceramic holder to guarantee you won't have any melting/ fires.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonlude View Post
He doesn't want bulb guards though.....
I do apologise, this is what happens when I try to help on a few hours sleep

''..An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men..''
Charles Darwin

Old 04-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonlude View Post
I use the '1000w-rated' ones from the same guy, someone on here recommended them a while ago - do the job: ebay thinger
Old 04-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Premier Citizen

I would rather pay the extra money and get some quality holders, as they will be better than cheap ones.
Dilema likes this.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Super Regular

I don't have a problem with paying more for better, just having had holders from Exo, Komodo, White Python etc, I wouldn't say their holders are of any particularly MIL-spec quality. Probably knocked up in the same shed in China for the most part (no, I have nothing to support that last bit ;p).
Old 04-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Egg

How about this one ES (E27) Porcelain Lampholder | Maplin
Jeffers3 likes this.