Man will be eaten alive by anaconda? - Page 10 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 11-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to NickBenger Send a message via Yahoo to NickBenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLucas View Post
Sort of off topic but along the lines of animal cruelty for the entertainment purpose.

Was watching Bear Grills the other day and he killed an alligator and ate it supposedly to survive. But it just got me thinking, at the end of the day he is killing animals on TV for peoples entertainment. Surely with the camera crew someone would be able to carry some food around and he'd just be able to talk through the methods rather than actually killing animals.

Just made me think twice about watcing and supporting that programme anymore.
Do you eat meat? If he kills an animal in the wild and eats it or carries a ham sandwich in a bag what's the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBenger View Post
Do you eat meat? If he kills an animal in the wild and eats it or carries a ham sandwich in a bag what's the difference?
I can see both sides but think he was making a point that the animal was killed on tv for the sake of the TV show and not for his survival, lets face it at the end of filming he clears off to a hotel for a bath and a decent meal

He could have explained the methods rather than using practical demonstration, but that wouldn't make for good tv.
Uromastyxman likes this.

ASK THE POWERFUL 5 QUESTIONS:
What power have you got?
Where did you get it from?
In whose interests do you exercise it?
To whom are you accountable?
How do we get rid of you?"
Old 11-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3d View Post
I can see both sides but think he was making a point that the animal was killed on tv for the sake of the TV show and not for his survival, lets face it at the end of filming he clears off to a hotel for a bath and a decent meal

He could have explained the methods rather than using practical demonstration, but that wouldn't make for good tv.
Yeah this is what I meant. I eat meat and its natural for a human to have to kill an animal to survive but all I'm saying is he's killed the animal for others entertainment and not so he can survive.
maxcherry likes this.
CB13 0.0.1 Normal Bearded Dragon "Uluru"
WC14 0.0.1 Garden Snail "SnailBob"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 12:44 AM
Super Citizen

I agree with the above- the issue I find with the Bear Grylls survival programmes is that they are over dramatised, and seem to be taken to the extremes purely for the sake of entertainment, and often in rather brutal style. I remember the video that was shared where he beat a Boa to death with a tree branch which was pretty nasty- it took a long time for him to get the job done.

I much prefer the Ray Mears take on survival- learning the real basics that will keep you alive in the countryside, and the worst I ever saw him do was shoot a deer with a bow he's just made- and the deer had already been shot dead because they reckoned it would be more humane than trying to kill one with a rudimentary bow and arrow and the it wasn't the point of the programme for him to go around filming himself killing things anyway.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:28 AM
5 Star Member

Bear Grylls does not need to be killing the wild life to survive. He has enough body fat on him to keep on going for a heck of a long time

Killing for entertainment is as bad as that 'Dead beat celebrity show'
AnimalLucas likes this.
Take them home and keep them in a
secure box and hope they don't escape
Old 12-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron-clover View Post
I much prefer the Ray Mears take on survival- learning the real basics that will keep you alive in the countryside, and the worst I ever saw him do was shoot a deer with a bow he's just made- and the deer had already been shot dead because they reckoned it would be more humane than trying to kill one with a rudimentary bow and arrow and the it wasn't the point of the programme for him to go around filming himself killing things anyway.
Ray Mears is amazing, saw his live show last year. I would bet a kidney that if a Deer was killed for his show, every last gram of it that could be eaten would have been. He has a great respect for living things and often aknowleges the sacrafice animals (unknowingly) make to get a human out of a survival situation. Not seen anything like that from Bear, I'd like to hit him in the face with a frying pan tbh.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:54 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron-clover View Post
I agree with the above- the issue I find with the Bear Grylls survival programmes is that they are over dramatised, and seem to be taken to the extremes purely for the sake of entertainment, and often in rather brutal style. I remember the video that was shared where he beat a Boa to death with a tree branch which was pretty nasty- it took a long time for him to get the job done.

He also over complicates a lot of things and yeah he defienatly over dramatises things. Been spotted in hotels and when he encountered a bear apparently it was just a guy in a suit. Just a fun fact when bear does the adverts for descovery my uncle is the stunt double for him, he says he's a nice guy.
CB13 0.0.1 Normal Bearded Dragon "Uluru"
WC14 0.0.1 Garden Snail "SnailBob"
Old 13-12-2014, 12:24 AM
Premier Citizen

I just saw the eaten alive documentary in full, it was so over dramatic and badly acted that I would classify it as a mockumentary. I thought it was contrived crap. Mumbling on about the eco system and the mysterious 30 foot giant anaconda he'd encountered before, that he almost caught but it just got away, then they cornered it again, but it escaped again, dammit!

I feel like someone has just been feeding me BS for an hour. What a load of pathetic twaddle, it's a shame the snake didn't eat him then he wouldn't be able to make anymore stupid programmes. The discovery channel is turning into the nature programme equivalent of a tabloid newspaper. Oh, and Bear Grylls is a as well. Instead of killing everything in sight why doesn't he show us how ancient civilisations used to perform sacrifices and throw himself into a volcano, now that would be authentic.
Thistles likes this.
Keeping reptiles for a long time does not mean you know everything. It does not mean you cannot learn more to improve your knowledge, and you can learn from anyone, including relative newcomers. Knowing a lot about reptiles does not give you the right to be arrogant, it simply makes you look arrogant, however, anyone should be prepared for a blunt response if you start spouting rubbish.

Last edited by Uromastyxman; 13-12-2014 at 12:38 AM..
Old 13-12-2014, 05:07 AM
No Life Member

I've produced things of more educational, artistic and conservationist merit then stood up and flushed.

maxcherry and Thistles like this.

Proud Arch Bishop of the Amaltheans.
Old 13-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr del View Post
I've produced things of more educational, artistic and conservationist merit then stood up and flushed.

Probably the truest comment here lol
maxcherry likes this.

Tags
alive , anaconda , eating