Feeding snakes steak - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 23-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Super Regular
Default Feeding snakes steak

Just seen on a youtube video, a corn snake and a viper eating steak. Has anyone done this and is it better for the snake than feeding it mice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbmwilletts View Post
Just seen on a youtube video, a corn snake and a viper eating steak. Has anyone done this and is it better for the snake than feeding it mice?
Short answer. No.

They kidneys have certain vitamins, the liver has different vitamins, bones have calcium, etc. Steak is basically just the muscle. Whole prey items are better for snakes than bits of meat. Some people may use this method to trigger the feeding response back in but will quickly try to get the snake on whole prey.
Herpster likes this.
Old 23-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
No way, mice are a complete food. if you feed only steak you will need to add a supplement for calcium etc. Not a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Super Regular

Ok thanks, I guessed it wouldn't be better for them, just didn't understand why people would feed snakes steak, nor did I think a snake would eat it
Old 23-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Athravan

I have recently taken on a king snake where the owner fed it chicken breast after reading somewhere that king snakes could be fed chicks so he assumed it would be the same. The snake is healthy but it's only a youngster - the problem with such diets is that they any damage due to lack of vitamins or a balanced diet will take years to show.

There are some situations where non-mouse diet is viable, for example getting snakes like hognoses to feed - a first feed of some fish is often very successful and then you can switch to mice.

But you'd be surprised at what some snakes will eat. Many are opportunistic feeders in the wild and may well eat carrion or meat scraps from animals we wouldn't expect them to eat - but it wouldn't be their main food source or staple.

Quickest responses via telephone to 02920 190291 or Facebook Message

PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE NOT BEEN AN ADMINISTRATOR ON RFUK FOR OVER 5 YEARS BUT I STILL GET REGULAR MESSAGES ASKING ME TO MODERATE THINGS. PLEASE CONTACT THE CURRENT MOD TEAM NOT ME, I CAN'T HELP!
Old 23-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Super Regular

Well I think my corn would starve to death in the wild lol. He will only eat white mice and rats, they have to be defrosted in warm water, they have to be fed will long feeding tongs to mimic movement and I can expect to loose an arm if I offer him a mouse whilst he's asleep in his hide.
Old 23-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athravan View Post
I have recently taken on a king snake where the owner fed it chicken breast after reading somewhere that king snakes could be fed chicks so he assumed it would be the same. The snake is healthy but it's only a youngster - the problem with such diets is that they any damage due to lack of vitamins or a balanced diet will take years to show.

There are some situations where non-mouse diet is viable, for example getting snakes like hognoses to feed - a first feed of some fish is often very successful and then you can switch to mice.

But you'd be surprised at what some snakes will eat. Many are opportunistic feeders in the wild and may well eat carrion or meat scraps from animals we wouldn't expect them to eat - but it wouldn't be their main food source or staple.
That's something I wondered and indeed mentioned a while back ... I've been paying £3.50 for jumbo rats for my male Snow Boa for some time now and at the time I posted I could have got TWO whole chickens for £5 !!!!
I was seriously thinking about that option for an occasionally meal or two ...cutting a raw chicken up and feeding him the legs and/ or breasts ...
Old 23-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Well I think my corn would starve to death in the wild lol. He will only eat white mice and rats, they have to be defrosted in warm water, they have to be fed will long feeding tongs to mimic movement and I can expect to loose an arm if I offer him a mouse whilst he's asleep in his hide.
I've always wondered if albino snakes have poor eyesight ... Out of my 16 snakes there are 10 albinos and they are all pretty rubbish at hunting down their prey ... they seem to take ages finding it then sniffing and crawling over it before devouring .
Gawd knows how they'd survive in the wild .... they'd have to just lie still and hope that something crawls into their mouths ..
Old 23-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
That's something I wondered and indeed mentioned a while back ... I've been paying £3.50 for jumbo rats for my male Snow Boa for some time now and at the time I posted I could have got TWO whole chickens for £5 !!!!
I was seriously thinking about that option for an occasionally meal or two ...cutting a raw chicken up and feeding him the legs and/ or breasts ...
Have you considered going onto rabbits? as a jumbo rat is just a fat lage rat.
Old 23-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Athravan

Quote:
A lot of people will feed larger snakes such as burmese on a whole chicken - the important thing with snakes is that they've evolved to survive on majority of their meals being "whole prey", which includes liver, kidneys, bones and brain. Those are the parts where a lot of nutrients and vitamins are found. Even the fur of animals has been proven to provide fibre along a snakes disgestive tract so even feeding a skinned animal would be less beneficial. If you cut up a meal so that those parts are missing, it's not a balanced staple. Additionally, chicks (and chickens) are notorious for causing stool problems in some snakes - especially diahorrea in snakes, which can then cause dehydration and loss of nutrients.

There is so much more nutrition in a rabbit than a giant rat. If it can take a rabbit you may find that a rabbit will provide a meal for 2-3 times longer than jumbo rats will.

Quote:
I've always wondered if albino snakes have poor eyesight ... Out of my 16 snakes there are 10 albinos and they are all pretty rubbish at hunting down their prey ... they seem to take ages finding it then sniffing and crawling over it before devouring .
Gawd knows how they'd survive in the wild .... they'd have to just lie still and hope that something crawls into their mouths ..
Albinos definitely suffer from light sensitivity. In lizards you will see albino animals closing their eyes in bright light and although snakes can't do this, there is definitely a higher rate of cataracts leading to blindness in albino snakes - this usually happens past the 10 year mark, sometimes past the 15 year mark though, so perhaps something that happens gradually over their life span. There are very few albino snakes that survive until adulthood in the wild (and thus do not breed, so albinos genes rarely get passed on in the wild), let alone their full lifespan. If nothing else, they have lost their ability to camoflauge and are easily predated.

Quickest responses via telephone to 02920 190291 or Facebook Message

PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE NOT BEEN AN ADMINISTRATOR ON RFUK FOR OVER 5 YEARS BUT I STILL GET REGULAR MESSAGES ASKING ME TO MODERATE THINGS. PLEASE CONTACT THE CURRENT MOD TEAM NOT ME, I CAN'T HELP!