Heaviest python - Page 5 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang K View Post
Interesting thread, and glad that large species keeping is alive and well...

A datapoint: My largest retic is a female Sulawesi. Length and weight measured around fall 2013 at the vet under anesthesia, and therefore quite accurate. Length was 20' but muscle relaxation may have added a few "unfair" inch. Vet's scale only went to 280lb. Snake + 20lb container hit the scale limit with force, so she was at the time >260lb. In her heavier days her girth was similar to the tiger on the foto with Steve. She should be weighing considerably less now, since she is on a diet since over a year.

I share the experience that same snake in same foto session can give very different size impression depending on the angle.
have you got any recent handling pics of your Sulawesi Wolfgang?ive seen the ones you sent me ages ago but I'd like to see some full shots of you handling her to see her size clearly,we don't see many big sulas in captivity unfortunately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Postaholic Member

Wolfgang we spoke about malayans before so I thought I'd mention that a guy from Malaysia called mohd caught a big female over 21ft long weighing 107kg,it was posted on retic nation previously so I wondered if you saw her,she's a stunning beauty with a massive head and she dropped 105 eggs after capture,unfortunately they didnt incubate them well and I heard that they lost most of them,I saw a video of her recently and she was definately a big girl,I can post pics of her on here but I can't post the video from my iPad unfortunately
Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Regular

Malay retics as a locality is a little off topic, but yes, I have a number of wild caught Malays. A stunning crew, some of the best looking retics I've seen and very various, everything high gold to high silver, and some with a coloration that is hard to describe, but easy to believe that the purple/lavender gene came from there.

I have lots of video, but no still handling fotos. It is hard to set up a timer and within 10 seconds be back in the picture smiling and with non-benign snake over the shoulders...
But I'll dig. One day when I get to it I will publish some of the video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Malay retics as a locality is a little off topic, but yes, I have a number of wild caught Malays. A stunning crew, some of the best looking retics I've seen and very various, everything high gold to high silver, and some with a coloration that is hard to describe, but easy to believe that the purple/lavender gene came from there.

I have lots of video, but no still handling fotos. It is hard to set up a timer and within 10 seconds be back in the picture smiling and with non-benign snake over the shoulders...
But I'll dig. One day when I get to it I will publish some of the video.
look forward to seeing the videos.malay retics isn't off topic as I mentioned that retic earlier in the thread as a wild caught retic weighing 107kg,I wondered if you had seen that animal before as she is a very large example
Old 09-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Regular

I have to check out the recent big Malay. Would be great if you could repost the fotos / videos, so I can continue to successfully avoid retic nation. I thought that's a morph-club anyways... how did a big locality retic in there?
Here is the place for it to be.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
I have to check out the recent big Malay. Would be great if you could repost the fotos / videos, so I can continue to successfully avoid retic nation. I thought that's a morph-club anyways... how did a big locality retic in there?
Here is the place for it to be.
i will find some pics of her for you tomorrow and post them,sadly I can't upload the video from the iPad but it was on the nation/morph mania site lol,I see your point about the nation but I still like to have a look on there,there are guys on there from Indonesia who do post locales from time to time but like you said it is mainly morphs tbh
Old 09-12-2014, 11:49 PM
Regular

If you haven't seen it, there is a facebook group for locatlity retics and one for keepers in the Philippines.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Regular

Not a size/weight picture, but still nice; this is the same Sula.

steve d likes this.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Premier Citizen

So where would a 6.5metre java retic typically skinny wild retic that just ate a 25day old calf fit?

In Bali wild burmese easily outweigh wild retics

Maybe a Pilbarra olive python weight may get up there too at similar lengths?

You can lead a fool to knowledge....But you cant make him think

http://www.facebook.com/longte

Old 10-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longqi View Post
So where would a 6.5metre java retic typically skinny wild retic that just ate a 25day old calf fit?

In Bali wild burmese easily outweigh wild retics

Maybe a Pilbarra olive python weight may get up there too at similar lengths?
please by all means show me a wild burm weighing well over 100kg,I've yet to see one.yes some wild retics are slender while more successful hunters can be much girthier tbh,there are pics of several Philippine retics in the 100kg range and the Malayan I will post later when on my pc is definately over 100kg for certain

Tags
big , burms , large , retics , weight