Heaviest python - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 03:23 AM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 322
Default Heaviest python

I'm just trying to gather opinions here, people. Post yours!
There's no debate over wich of the boas is the heaviest (green anaconda), but the same not always can be said about pythons. The subject divides opinions, from what i've noticed through my many herp hobby years. Retics or burms? Wich, as fully developed adults, do you consider the heaviest (not longest) species?
If you could go a little beyond mere opinion (adding examples, quotes, literature, etc) would be interesting and make for a more substancial thread. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 AM
5 Star Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Common part of England
Posts: 4,918
Default

Depends on size comparison to the other snake/s on your list and feeding habits.

There are a lot of over fed snakes around
Demonique likes this.
__________________
Snakes keeping is like dating
You find the one you want
You put them in a sack
Take them home and keep them in a
secure box and hope they don't escape
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Demonlude's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 2,674
Default

In general, I would expect a burmese python to be heavier than a retic of the same length.
Demonique likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 09:37 AM
steve d's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,783
Default

The two can be very similar in weight although the burm will be girthier but obviously shorter,much of the literature as you know jimmy will be very inaccurate regarding actual bodyweights,when it comes to bodyweights of giants they are even more so exaggerated than the lengths,in my experience an 18ft+ burm will outweigh a 20ft retic,in the wild the retic has larger weight records than the Burmese python to my knowledge,several wc retics have been captured weighing over 100kg including a 107kg malayan a friend caught,I've yet to see a Burmese python from the wild confirmed at over 100kg,obviously it goes without saying that the retic weighing 100kg plus will be considerably longer than the burm.
In captivity again there is much exaggeration with both bodyweights an lengths,in captivity the heaviest snake I've weighed was a Burmese python but she was extremely obese to say the least,her girth was an extremely fat 43in,the closest girth to that I've seen on a retic was 32in and again was extremely obese for the species,the burm did outweigh the retic despite being over 2ft shorter
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2014, 11:34 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonlude View Post
In general, I would expect a burmese python to be heavier than a retic of the same length.
Well, hardly takes a genius to see that, my friend, hehehe. I clearly meant weights as both being adult specimens (obviously, adult lengths are different for retics and burms).

Steve, as always, you provided good info. But i think you are going too much by "feeling" here, i would expect you had some web or book texts (from known authors) on the matter. But, as you said, most literature is full of mistakes, i know that for a fact.

My longest pet snakes have always been retics, but my heaviest, although i have only estimates on her late in life weight, was a female burm. It would take several friends to help me pick her up (at least 4 or 5), while none of my giant retics have ever required that much effort (usually 3 mates are enough to help me move them around). Now, i understand that in captivity burms tend to put on weight very easily, more than retics, but again that still qualifies. Remember, my question is about the "heaviest", and if burms do have the potencial to use nutrition to put on more weight than retics, than it's a trait we have to consider. Steve, you talked mostly about wild specimens, and we know that nutrition data in the wild is unreliable, we don't know anything about the quantity or quality of food that WC snakes have intaken lately, so recording weights of WC snakes isn't as valid and doesn't tell us as much as recording a controlled nutrition schedule for both species during a large period of time in captivity! That should be the only scientific method used to determine the most apropriate answer to my question, imo.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 12:30 AM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 1,895
Default

There is no direct comparison to be made, as Steve has pointed out if you compare a Burmese python to a retic of the exact same length the burm will most likely be heavier.

But if you compare a 7 year old female Burm with a 7 year old female retic the retic will most likely be heavier, it will also be 3 foot longer with a much bigger head.

The answer is that reticulated pythons are the bigger species, but they dont fill out and become truly massive until they reach their adult size. Burms are a smaller snake but are more stocky when younger.
Demonique likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 02:38 AM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
if you compare a 7 year old female Burm with a 7 year old female retic the retic will most likely be heavier,
Where are you getting that information from? In almost ALL cases i've seen, where that scenario happens, (captive cases, i must say) It was almost always otherwise. The retics had only length on the burms and that was it. Weight will favour burms in almost all cases, after 6 or 7 years in captivity, and they are, overall, the most impressive snake of the 2.
On a side note, furthermore, (this is curious) if you compare a burm and a retic of equal length, you will also see that the burm's head is bigger by a great deal.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 03:53 AM
steve d's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDavid View Post
Well, hardly takes a genius to see that, my friend, hehehe. I clearly meant weights as both being adult specimens (obviously, adult lengths are different for retics and burms).

Steve, as always, you provided good info. But i think you are going too much by "feeling" here, i would expect you had some web or book texts (from known authors) on the matter. But, as you said, most literature is full of mistakes, i know that for a fact.

My longest pet snakes have always been retics, but my heaviest, although i have only estimates on her late in life weight, was a female burm. It would take several friends to help me pick her up (at least 4 or 5), while none of my giant retics have ever required that much effort (usually 3 mates are enough to help me move them around). Now, i understand that in captivity burms tend to put on weight very easily, more than retics, but again that still qualifies. Remember, my question is about the "heaviest", and if burms do have the potencial to use nutrition to put on more weight than retics, than it's a trait we have to consider. Steve, you talked mostly about wild specimens, and we know that nutrition data in the wild is unreliable, we don't know anything about the quantity or quality of food that WC snakes have intaken lately, so recording weights of WC snakes isn't as valid and doesn't tell us as much as recording a controlled nutrition schedule for both species during a large period of time in captivity! That should be the only scientific method used to determine the most apropriate answer to my question, imo.
burms are capable of holding a larger girth obviously,they also tend to fill out towards the front and rear more than reticulated pythons,as far as wild specimens go The very largest retics would likely outweigh the very largest Burmese pythons however in captivity if both were fed ridiculously as I've seen myself I'd say the Burmese python can outweigh the retic,the two heaviest snakes I've seen and in one case helped weigh were Burmese pythons,one with a 37in girth and one with a 43in girth,I don't personally believe a retic can approach that sort of girth,Twinkie had a 29.75in girth and I've seen a female retic in the uk with a 32in girth that was over 20ft long,the girthier of the two burms outweighed that fat retic despite the retic being 2ft longer,could a true 22ft retic with the same 32in girth outweigh that 43in girth burm?possibly?its difficult to say,we know that the very longest burms are still over 4ft short of the very longest retic lengthwise,is that enough to make up for the girth difference at their maximums?possibly IMHO,to date though the heaviest snake I've weighed was a hugely obese burm.
Obviously if we are using captivity as the example it can be said that both retics and burms can outweigh anacondas

Last edited by steve d; 05-12-2014 at 04:17 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve d View Post
Obviously if we are using captivity as the example it can be said that both retics and burms can outweigh anacondas
That's a good observation, Steve. Makes one wonder... All caresheets will tell you otherwise, but they don't make this sidenote observation, ever. Anacondas for some reason seem to have a limited growth (and that, yes, includes weight) in captivity, most like afrocks, and never reach the sizes seen in nature, whereas burms and retics adapt very well to captivity and show their true potential there (although, in many cases, going obese as well).
For many years, the 2 ambassador giants of each specie (burms and retics) were "baby" and "Fluffy", does anyone know if there were reliable weights on those 2? I'm guessing Baby outweighed Fluffy ridiculously, but i would like to see trustable data anyway.
Demonique likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 AM
steve d's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDavid View Post
That's a good observation, Steve. Makes one wonder... All caresheets will tell you otherwise, but they don't make this sidenote observation, ever. Anacondas for some reason seem to have a limited growth (and that, yes, includes weight) in captivity, most like afrocks, and never reach the sizes seen in nature, whereas burms and retics adapt very well to captivity and show their true potential there (although, in many cases, going obese as well).
For many years, the 2 ambassador giants of each specie (burms and retics) were "baby" and "Fluffy", does anyone know if there were reliable weights on those 2? I'm guessing Baby outweighed Fluffy ridiculously, but i would like to see trustable data anyway.
fluffy was measured and weighed at 20ft 1in and 20ft 2in on camera,they also weighed her at 99.4kg,baby was realistically approx 100kg to 110kg,baby was 18ft 10in long and had a 27in girth,bare in mind my big tiger tiny had a 27in girth and is 20ft 7in long at her very biggest,at the time tiny weighed 111kg(I've since dieted her down to just over 100kg)so baby was likely less given they had the same girth but baby was 2ft shorter(even taking into account that a big burm is bulkier at both the front and the rear than a retic with the same girth it seems unlikely that baby could outweigh tiny given that tiny is 2ft longer)but even if baby did outweigh tiny at her biggest it was a matter of a few lbs at most

Last edited by steve d; 05-12-2014 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
big , burms , large , retics , weight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the heaviest corn hatchling...... Pauline Snakes 9 10-07-2012 09:09 PM
your heaviest crested gecko weight? jenjen01 Lizards 17 24-02-2012 04:23 PM
Who has the heaviest....... opakg Snakes 10 30-11-2011 06:03 PM
Longest / heaviest snake on RFUK ???? volly Snakes 11 26-03-2011 02:40 AM
Biggest/heaviest Crestie. Fordyl2k Lizards 22 25-03-2011 10:18 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:47 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)