Time for your Snakes - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 10-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Ultra Citizen

Snakes don't want or need to be handled, that's just something people tell themselves! not having time to look after them is a different matter though!
BigRoj and mitsi like this.
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Gold Star Member

If I want to handle them I will, no routine.

I can't believe how cheap I'm doing him for now !!!
4 gene male dwarf Retic £400
This prices include full setup!!!!!

dwarf retic
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12161744
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post12161755
Old 11-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Premier Citizen

This is one of those topics that could easily digress off into other areas very easily, so I'll try and stick rigidly to the original question.

I only have a couple of snakes these days, so they are all out roaming every day (there is always one that is shedding or has just been fed, so in truth, the first bit isn't strictly 100% accurate! ) However, the actual handling its self is actually very minimal as they are usually left to their own devices until they need rescuing. That minimal amount keeps them hand tolerant though and seems to work well for my snakes.
I am very lucky though that my circumstances dictate that I can let them out at odd times (they are only out one at a time) that suit me best, as I have other interests as well, and a couple of hours minimum for my snakes is a lot of time out of a busy day.

I can understand how people's lives can change to the point where no "pet" is really high on the agenda.
It is easy to end up with a small collection, only to change jobs/meet the new "love of your life"/develop a new, all encompassing hobby or face serious illness etc.
When snowboarding came to the UK many years ago I was totally hooked. There are no mountains in Manchester so my love of snakes dwindled into the background, and I got rid of all my animals bar one, so that they wouldn't be neglected. My remaining hatchling milk was looked after by family when I was away and probably had minimum care. Luckily the old boy is still with me.
If you had asked me if I would loose interest in snakes before that time, the honest answer would have been "No way!"

I do cringe a little when I see new members to the forum, who are obviously not into their 20's yet, rushing to acquire new animals as fast as possible as their enthusiasm builds.
Some will keep them for life, but many, many more will not.
Some will get bored but most will just find that life just gets in the way.
mitsi and Misguidance like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Super Citizen

All my snakes come out for armchair walkies, hognose, royals and a dwarf nic boa not at same time of course.
But they all seem to like the extra exercise and to stretch out on sofa.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:29 AM
No Life Member

Very rarely. If someone wants to see them, they'll come out then but otherwise they're pretty much left alone.
BigRoj likes this.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Ultra Citizen

Lol I still see plenty of newbie teens wanting a Burmese! If you have the funds and done the research then fair enough but I bet many havent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
This is one of those topics that could easily digress off into other areas very easily, so I'll try and stick rigidly to the original question.

I only have a couple of snakes these days, so they are all out roaming every day (there is always one that is shedding or has just been fed, so in truth, the first bit isn't strictly 100% accurate! ) However, the actual handling its self is actually very minimal as they are usually left to their own devices until they need rescuing. That minimal amount keeps them hand tolerant though and seems to work well for my snakes.
I am very lucky though that my circumstances dictate that I can let them out at odd times (they are only out one at a time) that suit me best, as I have other interests as well, and a couple of hours minimum for my snakes is a lot of time out of a busy day.

I can understand how people's lives can change to the point where no "pet" is really high on the agenda.
It is easy to end up with a small collection, only to change jobs/meet the new "love of your life"/develop a new, all encompassing hobby or face serious illness etc.
When snowboarding came to the UK many years ago I was totally hooked. There are no mountains in Manchester so my love of snakes dwindled into the background, and I got rid of all my animals bar one, so that they wouldn't be neglected. My remaining hatchling milk was looked after by family when I was away and probably had minimum care. Luckily the old boy is still with me.
If you had asked me if I would loose interest in snakes before that time, the honest answer would have been "No way!"

I do cringe a little when I see new members to the forum, who are obviously not into their 20's yet, rushing to acquire new animals as fast as possible as their enthusiasm builds.
Some will keep them for life, but many, many more will not.
Some will get bored but most will just find that life just gets in the way.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Regular

I handle my royal maybe 2-3 per week at the moment have gone periods of few months without really handling other than when needed for cage maintenance etc. They don't need it so I think people are right when they use it as a reason for a sale it's because it sounds better than 'I've lost interest' or 'I want something new now'
Old 11-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Forum Citizen

No time is 99% just a bad excuse only time you can say that you have no time is if you travel to different countries for working.

takes 1 min to check on a snake, change water/feed

clean when needed to.

My hognose poops on a rock so his cleaning is pretty simple :P

1.0 Royal Phantom
0.1 Normal Leo
0.0.1 Normal Hognose
Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Super Regular

We will never really know for sure what is behind the reasons people give or how honest or not they are being but in my opinion: why should we care about (and/or judge)their reasons? Sure it would be nice for people to "think" it through before getting an animal and be more committed to them, for life ideally, but the truth is circumstances/life/interest change. The important thing is they are taking responsibility for the pet and are looking for a new owner that has more time/interest in them. Nothing wrong with that.

I personally like handling mine a lot. Nearly daily. The length of time out depends to a degree on how they are that day. I let them "tell" me for example my carpet starts exhaling when he has had enough, usually after about just 10 minutes! lol
Gazb123, Misguidance and Always like this.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Super Regular

I handle my royal about once a week