Time for your Snakes - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 12-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Super Citizen
Reviews: 2

Mine come out to have the viv cleaned and thats about it . I don't believe snakes benefit from handling. Even in a viv they are still basically a wild animal and should be treated as such.
Each to their own though. If you really feel the need to cuddle your snakes who am i to say its wrong.......
1.1.0. Irian Jaya. (Tengah & Timur)
1.0.0. Corn. (Merlot)
1.1.0. Dwarf Burmese. ( Doncaster Belle)

Elsewhere in the household
1.1.0. Corns
0.3.0. Bearded dragons
1.0.0. Boxer/Dobbie cross
2.0.0. Hermanns Tortoise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Banned

I'm pretty sure that those that say they " don't have time to look after their animals properly" have plenty of time to go down the pub etc.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selecta View Post
I'm pretty sure that those that say they " don't have time to look after their animals properly" have plenty of time to go down the pub etc.
Probably, but I would rather somebody who feels they don't have enough time give up the pet to somebody that does, than keep it. After all, a resentful owner is probably not going to be giving the best care to their pet.

As for me... I handle Opal every other day, sometimes more. She is very used to human contact and doesn't seem stressed by it, so I see no harm in handling her whenever I'd like (except after feeding, of course!) Rambo, on the other hand, only gets handled when it's needed, like when I clean him out or if he needs a bath. He HATES human contact, and while I would love for him to be as tame as Opal, there's no point stressing him out when it's just as easy for both of us for him to be left alone. He's healthy, gets plenty of exercise.... he doesn't need to be cuddled and coddled on top of that.
Always likes this.
Baron Lipton VonSnudge- CB14 Snow Corn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRoj View Post
Mine come out to have the viv cleaned and thats about it . I don't believe snakes benefit from handling. Even in a viv they are still basically a wild animal and should be treated as such.
Each to their own though. If you really feel the need to cuddle your snakes who am i to say its wrong.......
I happen to believe that fish appreciate handling even less than snakes!
Relax, that's not a serious dig, I am an ex carper turned barbel man myself!
Just thought it was a funny statement to make given your forum photo.
Always likes this.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:58 PM
Super Citizen

We handle ours when they need to be handled, i.e. cleaning out and health checks, and occasionally if someone asks to see a couple of them.. but in general they're left well alone..the little handling they get keeps them "tame" enough to keep us from getting bitten (although we have to hook some of the arboreals and the boiga), but not handled enough to cause much stress.. we let them be themselves in their tank. They seem happier that way, we don't get the "my snakes not eating" issues like we used to years ago..

If someone doesn't have time to change over the water, offer a food item every so often, and spot clean, they must be the busiest people on earth.. I bet I could get a snake sorted for the day/week including feeding, water, spray, and spot clean on an advert break.. maybe even a health check on a second ad break. I think larger snakes like retics/anacondas should have more effort put into their handling for the keepers safety, but for most snakes, we would leave them alone.. snakes enjoy it more, and if we get a bite.. it was our fault, they were happily ignoring us till we opened the tank! Our boiga gets the same amount of handling as the corns.. our ATB the same as the bull snake.. but they all get next to nothing!

Many snakes are OK to be handled regularly, but those same snakes wont miss you, wont care, wont feel rejected if you don't pick them up for a few weeks, it's not that the person doesn't have time, but it may be for a lot of reasons, that makes them not want to use the time they have, on the snake.. If they are keeping the snake properly, but not handling it, they might well be doing the snake a favour! If they aren't looking after it properly, it's right they find it a new home, but it's not necessary that the new home handles it..

Join us on facebook
Old 13-12-2014, 12:10 AM
5 Star Member

They handle me.....ok! They push me out the way.....no one loves me
Take them home and keep them in a
secure box and hope they don't escape
Old 13-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 6

I have lots of time for my animals. I still don't handle most of them any more than necessary (i.e medical examination, cleaning, moving them into their winter quarters, putting them together for mating etc.). It is not necessary, it does not make them any tamer and it can easily stress them out. They are not "petting" animals, they in no way need human contact of any kind beyond getting cleaned, fed and watered.

Cue a multitude of people posting "but MY snake ENJOYS being handled and LOVES being taken out of its enclosure"... to which I say: there is a difference between "tolerating" and "enjoying".
Old 13-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Ultra Citizen

Used to handle mine alot, but since job and between the fact they've just eaten or I know they're brewing up a nice turd I don't handle as much as I used to, jus don't have time, they're still getting tip top care though, so lack of time for handling them is a lousy excuse
Misguidance likes this.

When life gives you lemons, sell them and buy snakes

0.1 Ghost motley corn - Brooklyn
3.5 Dwarf Boas various localities - Placebo, Savannah, Ella, Delilah, Samson, Sasha, Turbo, Eva
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Thea
1.0 Sumatran short tail python - Bruce
1.1 Crested geckos - Nibbler, Roux
Few tarantulas
Tanuki
GSP
BOP's
Old 13-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Premier Member

Most of mine only get handled when cleaning them through i do get some out from time to time mainly for taking pics, They just don't need it like most have said

3.2x Corns 1.0x Hse Snakes 2.0x Bci 1.2 Dwarf Rectic 1.0 Retic 1.0 Djj Cp 0.1 Jcp
And Lots Of African Land Snails!!! Roaches and Millies
Old 13-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Ultra Citizen

I only have the one burm at the moment and he's handled about twice a week but a few years back when I had 8 snakes I'd try to handle them at least once a week Id imagine to much would be stressfull us 2 days of the week there digesting food