Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Snakes (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/)
-   -   Time for your Snakes (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/1061180-time-your-snakes.html)

James5012 10-12-2014 09:59 PM

Time for your Snakes

Here's a question......how often do you guys handle your Snakes?

I have recently seen quite a few people on pre-loved selling there Snakes as they "no longer have time for them". I am assuming for many this may just be an excuse to get rid!

Due to work and home commitments I struggle to find time to handle my Snakes often.....don't get me wrong they get tip top care and one thing I love about Snakes is the fact they don't require the same attention a dog/cat or even a rabbit would need.

But it seems some people think if they don't handle there Snake on a nightly basis.....thats it they need to be sold to someone can.

Iulia 10-12-2014 10:08 PM

I can understand more someone saying they don't have time for a lizard than a snake ...

probably in same cases genuine, in many sounds better than 'I've lost interest'

I try to handle all of mine every couple of days (unless shedding) because I enjoy handling, and I prefer the snakes to be used to me and calm

but I can go on holiday for 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure the snakes don't give a monkey's

Always 10-12-2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James5012 (Post 12102680)
Here's a question......how often do you guys handle your Snakes?

I have recently seen quite a few people on pre-loved selling there Snakes as they "no longer have time for them". I am assuming for many this may just be an excuse to get rid!

Due to work and home commitments I struggle to find time to handle my Snakes often.....don't get me wrong they get tip top care and one thing I love about Snakes is the fact they don't require the same attention a dog/cat or even a rabbit would need.

But it seems some people think if they don't handle there Snake on a nightly basis.....thats it they need to be sold to someone can.

My better tempered will be handled a couple times a week, then there's the worse tempered retic which I handle maybe once a fortnight, and then there's my ratsnake which I just don't handle unless I need to.

James5012 10-12-2014 10:11 PM

Agreed, I handled mine (I only have 2) a lot as babies but now with work I struggle to find time to handle.....but I doubt they could care less. I was curious what people's thoughts are as it's quite sickening to see people using that excuse for selling when I imagine most of the time it's false!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

destinys_only_sin 10-12-2014 10:15 PM

My Corns, and Royal, once a week or so. The Retic will be handled more often. Purely to keep her as docile as she is now. Probably every other day, apart from while shedding, or just after a feed.

Iulia 10-12-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James5012 (Post 12102692)
Agreed, I handled mine (I only have 2) a lot as babies but now with work I struggle to find time to handle.....but I doubt they could care less. I was curious what people's thoughts are as it's quite sickening to see people using that excuse for selling when I imagine most of the time it's false!

yeah but on the other hand - if people don't want something, and the snake isn't much attached (unlike a dog)

it might be better to be rehomed with someone who wants it?

levizar 10-12-2014 10:25 PM

My royal every other day just let him out for abit of a stretch and explore and the boa as she is a baby I try every day unless shes in a position where she is coiled right up just waiting for my hand then I leave her be

James5012 10-12-2014 10:26 PM

Fair point, I must admit I didn't think of that. I think it annoys me that people tend to sell using the don't have the time excuse - but there will be genuine cases. I struggle to have time for handling but I wouldn't sell my Snakes.

Roseanna 10-12-2014 10:32 PM

Not having time for reptiles can cover a wide variety of situations. I completely understand that not having time to handle them is a lame excuse, some of my snakes don't get handled for a month or more and I'm certain this doesn't bother them at all!

However, a lack of time which means you're struggling to do daily checks, maintain husbandry and feed at appropriate times - I can completely understand why you'd consider selling.

I can actually relate to these situations, many times in my old job I would be so exhausted and far too tired to clean my snakes out.I must admit,at one point I did consider selling up because I really felt my busy schedule was affecting my ability to be a decent keeper and look after my reptiles properly.thankfully I am now in a much better job and have enough time and energy on my hands to actually enjoy and look after my reptiles.

So, do I think not having enough time on your hands for reptiles is a poor excuse? Not necessarily! If your busy life is genuinely causing you to struggle to fit husbandry maintenance in then I'd say its incredibly sensible to consider rehoming (or get a new job) but not enough time to handle and give them the 'attention they deserve' ? Oh please!

GT2540 10-12-2014 10:36 PM

Don't really handle any of mine, The calmer ones I pick up the rest get hooked