Reptile Forums banner

Colubrid suggestions!

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  jacklyn 
#1 ·
I don't have space or money right now for a new set-up, but I like doing a lot fo research on an animal before acquiring one, and I've started thinking about getting a snake again.

I like solid colours and medium-sized snakes (5-10ft, or thereabouts). I don't care if I get bitten a lot as long as the bite doesn't need stitches or anything, so temperament doesn't bother me too much unless we're talking about 8ft+ snakes or something with a particularly mean bite.

I'm not averse to hybrids or anything rare/expensive.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions, I'm just getting a bit bored of hunting online and seeing the same snakes over and over again. There's a huge amount of snakes out there, and I'm sure you lot are my best bet of seeing something cool.

I like Mexican Black Kingsnakes, Taiwan Beauty Snakes and some of the bigger corn hybrids out there. I like colubrids a lot, basically. I used to go a reptile shop a few years ago (I won't name it because I have very little good to say about it!) that had what they called a "Blue Phase Rat Snake" which was stunning. I think it may have been a Japanese Rat Snake, although it was a much more consistent and even blue/green than I've seen on another snake.

Anyways, suggest stuff, or just talk about your dream snake if you want, colubrid or otherwise.

See less See more
#2 ·
The world is your oyster!
There is such choice that you need really to look at what space you have and ensure you can provide the right husbandry. The blue phase rat would have been a Kunashir Island Japanese rat.
If you are looking at the larger species, then either Thai or Vietnamese Blue beauties are a good choice. North American rats also get big. The Japanese rats get to around 6 feet and again are easy, but sometimes a bit nippy.
Bull snakes are another good choice.

#3 ·
I'm really just trying to narrow it down for now. I like to do at least 6 or 7 months research before even thinking about buying anything.

Space really isn't a problem, nor is cost. Preferably nothing arboreal though, I'm not sure why but I'm not a huge fan of arboreal snakes.

#4 ·
Most colubrids will climb. VBBs are very fond of this, although they are not arboreal. If you want something unusual I saw an adult pair of Moellendorff's (100 Flower) rats for sale recently. Not cheapest £600, but that's the price a pair of hatchlings go for! These are big, around 8 feet as adults, slender, quite gentle.

#5 ·
Another vote for Bulls or Pines.
Very active diurnal snakes that get good and chunky, very easy to keep given enough room, usually fairly confident animals and more or less bomb proof.
They used to be very popular but now seem to be a bit off radar, so they're even possible to class as "something a bit different".

Dig out the "Get your Pits out" thread.

#8 ·
Stinking Godesses are beautiful snakes, as are Kunashir Island Japanese Rat snakes. Many thanks Ian14 for pointing that one out. They sound a bit small for my liking though, from what I've read. 4ft tops sounds kinda little.
Whilst king rats/stinky godesses are gorgeous, I don't really fancy the poop reaction. From I've heard, some snakes don't really do that and some really do. If you get a pooper, you've got a pooper for life by the sounds of it!

#10 ·
Gonna second that vote for Russian rat snakes. They have amazing temperaments and are very active and curious snakes. They make great display animals as they don't mind hanging out in plain sight. Now he's a bit bigger my male would rather sit on his branch or on top of his hides than in them. They are not arboreal but they seem to like having the opportunity to climb and will make use of any branches or platforms you give them.

Ridley's cave racers are also good fun and very striking animals.

#11 · (Edited)
You could consider Leopard snakes (Zamenis situla). They're not too common nowadays, but you should be able to source a pair given enough time. Truly beautiful snakes, and not as "nervy" or stressful as most people think. A fairly average sized colubrid, certainly not a big species. But if you're after snakes to handle and interact with then they're not the ideal choice as they don't really appreciate too much handling. Are you looking for snakes to breed? If so Leopards would be a good choice as they're generally always in demand and they don't lay large clutches.

I've also had Russian Rats, both as hatchlings and adults. All mine were trouble free, and very confident snakes, without being aggressive. Probably fits the bill better than the Leopard if you're after a larger colubrid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.