Reptile Forums banner

Candoia species how do you keep yours???

Tags
snake
561 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Thrasops 
#1 ·
Very underated species that seem to appear for sale then disappear instantly. So as I have a few now and always want more I thought I'd ask how do you keep yours?

I've found that a lot of people and "care sheets" just aren't true so what's your opinion on it?

#7 ·
If you search around for the Island Gems website by Jerry Conway, that gives a good basic grounding on the different species of Candoia.

I do not keep them any more (I liked them but eventually found them a bit slow moving and geriatric for my tastes) but I used to keep and breed both C. c. paulsoni (or however it is now labelled taxonomically) and C. aspera in the last decade.

I found them pretty hardy snakes. They did not like extremes of temperature and seemed to dislike too much warmth. They don't really move all that much (especially C. aspera) which can cause problems if the humidity is wrong, as they can possibly lie in a wet or damp patch for days - although they seem to tolerate a fairly high humidity.

The real challenge I found with them was rearing the babies. They are born tiny and generally refuse to eat anything (although there are stories that they will take live fish) and thus needed to be reared by assist-feeding with mouse tails and pieces of beef heart. They are very slow growing snakes so be prepared for months of this if you plan to breed them!

Otherwise they are not a challenge to keep. Personally I found them neat little curios but ultimately a bit boring for my taste - I like sight-hunting snakes that move around and explore a lot, so I ended up giving my animals to a friend who also keeps them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.