Reptile Forums banner

Retic

Tags
retic snake
1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  destinys_only_sin 
#1 ·
well I've fallen in love with a CB15 white sun Fire Retic, like I really really want it haha I've been told I'm gonna be buying a 10-12ft snake with reasonable feeding, so if it did get to 12ft what size Viv would I be looking at?

#6 ·
You need to know the parentage /size of the parents. I had 50% dwarf females that hit 13ft and where still growing. I had them in 6x3x2 vivs which PERSONALLY I felt where too small. I move my girls on to someone who has given them bigger vivs.

#8 ·
A friend's 50% dwarf goldenchild female hit 14ft. My mainland purple male is around 11ft.

Food will make a big difference as will genetics. You've got zero guarantees on size until you get years down the line. Plan long-term for a full sized specimen and if it doesn't get monstrous then happy days!

My 11ft male is in a 6x3, I have plans to move him into an 8x3 when I can, possibly larger.

#10 ·
I'm not entirely happy it is, hence why I want to upgrade to something bigger. I'd say head down the dwarf retic route if you're unable to provide large spaces for adults.

Also as I've recently discovered it's pretty daunting when males go into breeding mode, and a usually placid snake decides it wants to annihilate you. Something to think about.

#12 ·
This is the first year I've seen him like it. He's 8 now and yes it was very sketchy indeed.
He seems to have settled down a bit, I'm hoping it lasts.On the plus side I have some new gauntlets.

Deliberately stunting an animal is not a healthy approach to keeping.

#14 ·
Regarding viv size, I'd suggest the biggest you can provide. Retics can be fairly active animals. My Kayuadi (a little over 9ft) is currently in a 6x2x2. Personally, that's not big enough. She'll be in a 6x3x5 as soon as I have it sorted out. If I had the space, she'd be in something a fair bit larger. Probably something like 9x4x6.

If you're going to struggle with space, for a large viv, it would be worth looking at dwarf animals.

#15 ·
Thankyou guys and I will do, I was never going to buy it if I wasn't 100% I could keep it regardless of size, so what are the odds of a dwarf getting 12ft+ does it depend on parents and bloodline etc of how big they will get? A lot of people told me that I shouldn't bother with a dwarf and just get a mainland because a lot of dwarfs have been bred to mainlands.

#18 ·
Pureblood dwarf Retics usually range between 6, and 12ft, depending on locality, from what I understand. Some may be a little smaller. Some, a little larger. The percentage of dwarf blood in an animal that has been bred to a mainland, will also come into play. The higher percentage dwarf, the smaller it should be. Should be, is important bit. You may end up with an animal that ends up larger than you originally thought. Unlikely, but possible.

My understanding is that Madu, and Kalatoa, are among the smallest Retics. If you're stuck for space, it may be worth trying to track one down. If you have the space to house one, Kayuadi are stunning little animals. Well, I say small . . My girl is 9ft. So, not a small snake. Small for a six year old female Retic, though.

Don't take that as 100% fact . . I'm currently dosed up on rather high levels of tramadol, and I'm far from being an expert in any field.

#17 ·
as mentioned above and documented many times mainland retics can stay well under 12 foot with a sensible diet. check out all those prehistoric pet videos and also ''ironically'' pics from the reptile rooms facebook page.

these animals are what they eat............

e.g I've a fiveteen foot female platy tiger (2012) here and a nine foot max female lavender glow t+/t- (2011) here. so I can vouch for this. so the youngest of the two is six foot bigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.